BB: CUNYAC

Started by Billy 40, March 14, 2009, 09:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy 40

I see all the other conferences listed. What about the CUNY? No love?

Or are you guys saving them for the D4basball.com site? As bad as the conference has been, they are probably at an all time low this year, starting off the 2009 campaign 3-26 as a conference...with 2 wins coming against Yeshiva, the uncontested worst team in teh country 8 years running.

Give them a few more games, they'll soon surpass CCNY's strong 2008 campaign where they went 3-31, which was a great follow up to the 2007 season where they were a respectable 16-11.

Ralph Turner

Welcome Billy!

The CUNYAC is a Pool B conference.

You are the first fan in 3 1/2 years.  Bring your friends!

Billy 40

I've been here for a couple of years, I posted in a couple of teh other confernece forums as well as the NAtional. This year thry only bright spot might be CSI, they opened the season against #1 Salisbury and didn't get blown out too badly.  They should win the conference fairly easily this year, but it's not saying too much, at all.

John Jay dind't really recruit anyone. Baruch is extremely weak.  Lehman I don't know about, I'm gonna say they might be runners up. They do have a couple of good players. Mitchell is usually decent, I don't know why they are still part of the CUNY. CCNY is an absolute joke. Actually, every sport in CCNY is a joke since that woman AD took over.

ECSUalum

with 2 wins coming against Yeshiva, the uncontested worst team in teh country 8 years running.

Not really,  look out west to Cal Tech for above honors

Billy 40

I went and checked, they just picked up a 24-0 win, how bad could they be?

http://www.gocaltech.com/sports/bsb/2008-09/schedule

lol.

Yeshiva was 0-28 last year, which I think was their first year with a team. They are 0-2 this year, making them 0-30 all time. How bad is Cal Tech....not including Alumni games?

OshDude

Quote from: Billy 40 on March 15, 2009, 03:32:25 PM
I went and checked, they just picked up a 24-0 win, how bad could they be?

http://www.gocaltech.com/sports/bsb/2008-09/schedule

lol.

Yeshiva was 0-28 last year, which I think was their first year with a team. They are 0-2 this year, making them 0-30 all time. How bad is Cal Tech....not including Alumni games?
Cal Tech has the bottom spot wrapped up. Every other team is fighting for second-worst. Here are stats from '07 and '08. Cal Tech has been outscored 177-22 in non-alumni games this season. Its MBB team is also quite famous. A D3 gem on the academic side. Not so much on the fields of play.

Billy 40

CAn't argue that, lol. FWIW, Yeshiva was outscored 370-67 last year in 28 games, which averages out to being outscrored 13.2 - 2.4 per game.

Last season Cal Tech was outscored 389 - 67....15.6 - 2.7

What's REALLY odd.... in 2007 Cal Tech was outscored 390 - 67 in 24 games.  HOw can both of these teams score the same amount of runs? Who is Dodgertown West, and how can you count a win in an alumni game in your final record. lmao!! If you take out the runs scored in Alumni games, it's not even close, Cal Tech is by far worse than Yeshiva, my apologies.

These teams should coordinate a spring training quintuple header on the same day against each other, so they can both at least hopefully scratch out one win out of the 5 games. I'm impressed that CAl Tech only used 4 pitchers last year.

Bob Maxwell

Theya re both pretty bad... but the kids are going out and representing their schools, probalbly knowing they are going to not win.  But they play for the love of the game.  You have to admire them for that...

Heck, it is easy to play when you know you can win... try it when you can't.

Bad teams yes, but they still go out and play the game... so give the kids credit!

Billy 40

Bob - you are absolutely correct. My original point wasn't to disparage either of these 2 schools - niether which athletics is their primary focus. MAny of the teams in the CUNY conference have this inflated sense of where they stand in teh overal D3 Baseball picture. It's a shame how low the conference has sunk.

On a bright side, I think CSI might be an above average team, which might be competitive when they play their out of conference schedule against the NJAC. It's going to be embarassing when any of the other teams play either the NJAC or even the SKyline teams...excluding Yeshiva

Billy 40

CSI is going to pound the conference this year. THey split with Manhattanville, who has been pretty good hte past couple of seasons, and tehy split with FArmingdale whic I honestly know nothing about. Tehy threwa  couple of Frosh pitchers, in teh first game that didn't work out too well, as he was shelled. The second game featured a kid who will be very good his 4 yearsin school, and he pretty much shut them down for 6 innings.

Tehy also lost to SAlisbury when they were #1 in teh nation, but semi-close scores. Impressive since it ws their first time playing outdoors this season.

YOung team, if everyone stays eligible and they actually go out and recruit, they have a bright future ahead which will hopefully give them a shot at some post season tourney victories.

Billy 40

John Jay faced off with Manhattanville, actually hung in there for half the game, losing by a respectable 9-1 score. They face Drew today, they're gonna be saving their "Aces" for their match up against Mitchell this weekend. Massoni & Colleta - tehy have to be at teh top of their game to have a shot to win any games.

CCNY was part of an impromptu HR Derby this weekend at Stevens Tech. Problem was, they weren't allowed to take any swings, they only got to throw BP. 6HR's in a double header, outscored 27-5...they didn't score as many runs as Stevens hit HR's. Lots of dissention amongst team members already, rumors that players are about to quit, what a shame. Just 2 years ago CCNY led the nation in batting, last year they were one of teh worst. From first to worst, even though there were several returning players from teh 2007 season and an All American in Richie Gomez. Major difference was a change in teh coaching staff.

Baruch picked up their first of a 9 game losing streak, in an 18-12 slugfest at NJ City.  Riofrio continues his torrid start to his Soph season going 4-5, working his way towards the All Conference team. Chestnut finally got himself back ot his freshman season's form going 3-4. They are down in Florida now, hopefully they enjoy the weather, as tehy're going to get hammered every game. LAst year their head coach wisely used his ace Polius to toss 140 pitches in his first outing of teh season, which affected him for the enitre season. LEt's see who he tries to ruin this year.

Billy 40

Impressed that Jay only lost 8-7 to Drew. I didn't realize Drew wasn't part of the NJAC, and that they weren't very good the way they used to be. But still, good job by JJ keeping it close.

Bob Maxwell

Billy,  your right in your response to my post:

QuoteMAny of the teams in the CUNY conference have this inflated sense of where they stand in teh overal D3 Baseball picture. It's a shame how low the conference has sunk.

That happens a lot with some schools and conferences.... its just what happens in the information age that we now live in.  YOu can instantly see things that others have done. 

Its the big fish in the small fish bowl syndrome...

BUT they still do go out and play day after day... and I admire anyone who puts themself on the field of competition and represents their school.

Keep reporting on the conference!  Its always good to hear opionions... just try to agree with mine!  LOL ;D

Billy 40

Bob, there comes a point where why bother playing? Yeah, it's great to go out and compete, while hopefully working towrds graduating. Butwhen you have kids who think they are goingto get signed, and put athletics ahead of academics - its' just a shame. Especially at this level.

Two of the teams CUNY barely practice, and when tehy do it's a hang out session more than anything. Tehy dont' recruit at all, and are pretty much going through the motions. It really has impacted teh conference negatively, if youseen some of these teams play you'd be apalled.

It's only a matter of time before Mitchell leaves teh conference, and I'm sure if CSI was able to, they'd get out of there as well.

Bob Maxwell

It sounds like a pretty sad situation... too bad.