FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsc

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

Toby Taff

Minni,

I had the same question about the fans at HSU at the playoff game with UMHB last year, but I just chalked it up to being thanksgiving weekend at first.  By the end of the game though, the stands were fairly full.  I was mystified, but then again, I don't understand leaving the game early if you're getting blown out or blowing someone else out.  I'm a fan and fans stay until the bitter end.  I hated sitting through the drubbing HSU gave us in conference last year, but I watched every agonizing minute and still had a 3 hr drive back to Abilene.  At the end though I was there singing the school song.  Conversely I thoroughly enjoyed the playoff game, and again I was there until the very end.  To me that is fandom, but i guess most people aren't fans as much as they enjoy the social aspects of going.

Case in point, I have a friend who is an HSU dorm director that doesn't really like football.  This year this friend is in a fantasy league, doesn't really know anything about his team, and is winning.  Why is he playing and interested, not because he is a fan, but because he can taunt true fans.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

HPUSPATS

Hey Justin,
   Yes, HPU's offensive line is on the small side...however, if you will do some research, you will see that one of those, #60. received all conference last year as a sophmore...and at least they look good in spats

minni

ok a comment on the SPATS.  I saw the spats HPU players had and they were terrible.  Yall need to work on those.  You look good, you play good.  As the HSU receiving core.  They have the true SPATS.

ccowboyz1

Minni,

I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you that if I would love to be sitting in the stands a couple of hours before game time.  However, the last two home games I was one of the late fans that showed up just prior to kick-off.  I have two reasons for this.  #1 - it is extremely HOT in the stands to be sitting there staring at an empty football field waiting for the teams to run onto the field and #2 - The food and drink in the parking lot at the tailgates is worth giving up the heat for.   Don't get me wrong...at Stevens Point I had to wait for the ticket office to open so I could get in.  I didn't think that lady would ever show up.  And as the weather hopefully cools off a little, I can see getting to my seat a little earlier.

As far as HPU being in the game in the 4th quarter, I really didn't think the game seemed that close but I guess I can see how some may have felt that way.  I think the HSU coaching staff has a pretty good feel for the tempo of the game and when a game is under control and I appreciate the fact that they concern themselves with showing respect to the opposing players and coaches.  This win would not have counted any more if the score was 60-20.  However, I am pretty confident that should they have needed to crank up the 'O' a bit, they still had plenty of gas in the tank.

Toby Taff

Quote from: ccowboyz1 on October 04, 2005, 12:29:22 AM

However, the last two home games I was one of the late fans that showed up just prior to kick-off. 

key words, prior to kick off.  Everyone understands a good tailgate.  I think he was talking about large number of people who show up after the kickoff.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

ccowboyz1

mhb8904,

"When the kick off roles around" doesn't really imply before or after the kick, but I'll give you that one.  It does seem like a lot of people come filing in after.  However, even a good tailgate wouldn't keep me out of the stands if it wasn't so stinking hot.

minni

Dont get me wrong I appreciate a good tailgate party(as I have My own in 3 Weeks)  and I appreciate every single fan that shows up for every game.  Im just perplexed on why everyone shows up so late (after Kickoff).  The field is not empty but for about 15 min prior to kickoff.  I know that for a fact.  The Cowboys take the field @ 1:01 Coach K time.  So they are on the field warming up exactly one hour before kickoff.  I and some other players were just observing and I guess curious as to why people show up so late.  Maybe a little pregame show or activity would help.  Im thinking maybe a raodtrip to Abilene in three weeks for the College Gameday Crew.  Wishful thinking I guess.

Bill McCabe

There really isn't a lot of things happening during warm up.  The action starts with the kickoff. 

sthrncwby

minni, you silly rabbit.  There's no rush.  HSU's gonna win and it is pretty hot just sittin in the sun.  So folks take their time getting out there.

Best GA in the land = Skids

Zmotion10 out on 2

To me the opening kickoff sets the tone for the game and I hate to miss it!

minni

Let me ask all former players this question.  As you run out onto the field, how does it feel to run out onto a field with stands that are full and lots of noise and cow bells vs. stands that are somewhat empty and a little noise.

I agree Skids is a top GA in America, but I think that is a two headed monster.  You wouldnt have Skids without the GB.  That tandum without a doubt is the top in the nation.

Oh and you more thing.  Couch crew needs to work on the noise level for 60 min. 

Toby Taff

I was just called out by a prof reading this site for bad grammar and poor spelling.  He told me I had to apologize.  ;D So I read back through some of my posts and made a few corrections.  He was correct, but when you're trying to think through abscessed tooth pain one's grammar may be flawed.  So, sorry to anyone out there who cringed at the horror of my grammatical flailings.

Kelly Boggs

mhb8904,

While I am all for proper grammar and spelling, from my understanding the 'net is all about communication. It is not an academic exercise. As long as those reading are able to discern the gist of what you are trying to communicate, your grammar - or lack thereof - will pass muster.

For those who desire pristine posts free of spelling faux pas, there are spell check programs you can down load that will proof most anything you write on the Internet. I use Spellbound. Its free and can be found at: http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/index.

UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

hpudad

While I was at the HPU/HSU game I noticed that there were spectators next to the endlines at both ends of the field.  This is the first time I had ever seen spectators that close to the field since Pop Warner/Little League days.  So I did a little bit of research and as I understand it spectators are not allowed with 12 feet of the side or endlines.  Is this true.  I got my information from the following link:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_football_rules.pdf

I looked at the Points of Emphasis, Sideline Control on Page 8, the diagram of the Field on Page 18, and Rule 1, Section 2, Article 3 a & b, which states "No person outside the team area shall be within the limit lines."

Is this a correct interpretation on my part?  I am by no means a Football Offical and was wondering. 
"Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. "
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)