MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toph

I just thought it was worth noting the that Streaks are ranked 16 in the first d3hoops.com poll.  It will be interesting to see how this season shakes out.

jdean

I just thought it was worth noting that MUC was unranked in the first D3 poll. I'm confident as the season
plays out that Mount will prove the brilliance of those who chose not to vote for them.

fishermba

Just noticed that JCU has Cleveland State University on its bball schedule??  Any ideas why this was scheduled?  Probably planned when Mimes was going to be playing.  DI vs DIII not usually a good game.

Toph

fishermamba-
I don't know why it was scheduled.  It will be an exciting time for the program and the fans however, to see if the Streaks can make a game of it, or even win.  Also, I would ask you to not attach so much importance to Brandon Mimes.  John Franks is back, Derrick Smith is supposed to be a player, and there are some good young freshmen from what I'm hearing.  The Streaks have always been team first, and they will compete for the OAC title again this year, without Mimes.

fishermba

My only point in mentioning Mimes is he was their best player last year and would continue to be a force.  A agree it has always been team first under Moran but you cant discount the impact of Mimes or any other starter from last year.

Toph

fish-
I agree that Mimes was (and will be) a force in the OAC and nationally.  I'm not attempting to discount what he brought to the team.  However, to make the argument that this game with CSU was scheduled because of Mimes' presence on the team is a bit of a stretch (I think).  Do you understand what I'm saying?

jdean-
I missed your post from a few days back.  Already down on this year's team?  That certainly didn't take long. 

fishermba

Just for clarification, I didnt mean the game was scheduled because Mimes was playing (in fact athletic schedules are are planned years in advance).  My arguement was that it would have been interesting to see him play against D1 players.  I am still excited to see the team play.

Toph

My prediction for the biggest surprise of the upcoming season in the OAC:
The BW at JCU game is scheduled during winter break.  Awful, awful scheduling.

ODACfan1

Emory and Henry fan here...Just wondering if anyone could give me some background on John Carroll's team this year.  Heard they lost some key guys from last year.  Hope it is a great opener for both teams.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: fishermba on November 09, 2005, 08:05:40 PM
Just for clarification, I didnt mean the game was scheduled because Mimes was playing (in fact athletic schedules are are planned years in advance).

That's not typically true of basketball. Football, sure. Basketball, no, and especially not a game with a Division I team. Those are often the last games to come together.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Toph

ODAC Fan-
Sorry, haven't checked the board in awhile.  Here's what I can tell you about Carroll:
1.  They lost three players from last season, but they were three key players.  Peter Koch (G), Drew Salata (F/C), and Mike Grogan (G).
2.  They will be without (in case you haven't read anything above) Brandon Mimes (F/C) but return Kyle Roggenburk, Derek Smith (who was inelligable for his first two seasons), and Jon Franks returns from the Final Four team with one final year of eligability. 
3.  The guard play looks to be pretty strong once again, Pete Moran, Chris Day, and John Curran are all back from last year.  Kevin Pap, who never saw much varsity time before, looks like he is going to join the team after soccer season.
4.  The small fowards look good as well, Joe Kimener and Demetrius Travis return, Travis had a breakout year last year (teams were leaving him open, he would nail the midrange jumpers, he's also a pretty good defender).
5.  I don't know if you've ever seen JCU before or not but they use the platoon system, subbing five in and five out about every 7 posessions, unless the game gets close and Moran feels better going with matchups.

Is that a good enough quick preview? 

ODACfan1

Thanks for the preview of JCU.  It was very insightful.  I know that they are a top the OAC every year, so this is huge test for a much improved Emory and Henry team.

Gregory Sager

John Carroll isn't atop the OAC every year, ODACfan1. While they have won outright or shared the last three OAC titles, keep in mind that two different schools from this conference were in the NCAA Final Four the two years before that: Ohio Northern in 2001, and Otterbein in 2002 (the eventual national champion). Plus, John Carroll didn't win the OAC postseason tournament last year; Baldwin-Wallace won it.

Don't get me wrong; John Carroll is a national power and one of the OAC's strongest programs. But they aren't atop the league every year.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

ODACfan1

Thanks for clearing that up for me...I apologize for the mistake, as I am not too familiar with your conference.  How do you see the conference shaping up this season.  I remember seeing a strong Otterbein team last season, but I believe they lost a lot as well.  Who wins the OAC this season?

Toph

It's too early (I think) to make a prediction, although it warrants mentioning that JCU was voted to finish first in both the coaches and media polls.  That being said, however, you really never know.