TOP 25

Started by short, July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam40jeff

Let me reiterate (for a third time now), my arguments (and cwru70's) about Otterbein's have nothing to do with CWRU.  In fact, neither of us mentioned CWRU until K-Mack brought them up.

As far as your last comment...have you seen CWRU play this year?  I have been in attendance of every home game (excluding Chicago, which I watched online), attended the game at Oberlin, and have listened to two others on the radio.  Last year, I attended 4 games as well and listened to and watched a few more online.  I would definitely be willing to say that CWRU is substantially better than last year, regardless of the weakness of their schedule.

Bill McCabe

In my opinion, the team being overlooked is Willamette.  I don't think I would want to play them any time soon.

ADL70

Technically I mentioned CWRU (#13). 

But this year's CWRU team is better than last year's.  If in depth alone.  Nine or ten starters and a handfull of impact back-ups have missed at least one game.  Three different players have started at center.  The schedule is a tad more difficult with Hiram for Galludent (a push) and Rochester for St. Vincent.  Nonetheless the Spartans have unleashed an onslaught in the first half of each and every game.  The average halftime score is 31-2.  Starters have played little in third quarter of most games and hardly any in the fourth quarter.

The Spartans have risen in the poll as far as any UAA team can, at least until one wins a second round game.  If it hadn't been for last year, the Spartans would be languishing down near the bottom with Trine and Monmouth.  So that extent they are "living off 2007."
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

jam40jeff

I see your point.  I guess I got caught up in a bad day at work.  Re-reading my post, it seems a bit rash.  I also forgot that last year it took until week 11 before CWRU even cracked the top 25 (at #25 no less).

K-Mack

Quote from: jam40jeff on November 04, 2008, 02:47:52 PM
As far as your last comment... have you seen CWRU play this year?  I have been in attendance of every home game (excluding Chicago, which I watched online)

If you want to pull out that argument, Pat or I could just as easily ask you if you've seen any ranked team besides CWRU play this year? Doesn't sound like it.

You and everyone else who tries/has tried to pull that one can more or less save it.

I'm just going to guess seeing several ranked teams beats seeing one over and over any day, with respect to opinions about the top 25.

You know we can't see every team, however, if Case played an interesting opponent, D3 staff would be a lot more likely to show up.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Bill McCabe on November 04, 2008, 02:48:27 PM
In my opinion, the team being overlooked is Willamette.  I don't think I would want to play them any time soon.

If it helps any, I re-evaluated them quite favorably this past week. Very strong resume by comparison to other teams with similar records.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: cwru70 on November 04, 2008, 08:41:08 PMThe Spartans have risen in the poll as far as any UAA team can, at least until one wins a second round game.  If it hadn't been for last year, the Spartans would be languishing down near the bottom with Trine and Monmouth.  So that extent they are "living off 2007."

I agree with that. As good as Case probably is, I can't see moving them ahead of a one-loss UW-W or UMHB under any circumstance, really. You hate to have your mind made up before you process the data, but I think that's probably common sense unless we see something that proves otherwise.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

jam40jeff

Quote from: K-Mack on November 06, 2008, 12:31:58 AM
As far as your last comment... have you seen CWRU play this year?  I have been in attendance of every home game (excluding Chicago, which I watched online)

If you want to pull out that argument, Pat or I could just as easily ask you if you've seen any ranked team besides CWRU play this year? Doesn't sound like it.

You and everyone else who tries/has tried to pull that one can more or less save it.

I'm just going to guess seeing several ranked teams beats seeing one over and over any day, with respect to opinions about the top 25.

You know we can't see every team, however, if Case played an interesting opponent, D3 staff would be a lot more likely to show up.

You took my comment completely out of context.  I wasn't arguing that CWRU should be ranked higher.  I was responding to Pat's comment about them living off of 2007.  I originally took him to mean that they weren't as good this year as last year.  But I see now that he was saying they may be ranked higher than they otherwise would be due in part to last year's success.

I know that my argument that I have seen CWRU play many times does not qualify me to argue Top 25 positions.  But I believe it does qualify me to comment on whether or not this year's team is better than last year's.

As far as watching other ranked teams play...I have seen Wabash, Mount Union, and Capital (who was ranked #9 at the time).  I know that's not many, especially compared to you guys, but I do watch a lot of football, not just CWRU football.

K-Mack

Quote from: jam40jeff on November 06, 2008, 07:54:33 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 06, 2008, 12:31:58 AM

You took my comment completely out of context.  I wasn't arguing that CWRU should be ranked higher.  I was responding to Pat's comment about them living off of 2007.  I originally took him to mean that they weren't as good this year as last year.  But I see now that he was saying they may be ranked higher than they otherwise would be due in part to last year's success.

I know that my argument that I have seen CWRU play many times does not qualify me to argue Top 25 positions.  But I believe it does qualify me to comment on whether or not this year's team is better than last year's.

As far as watching other ranked teams play...I have seen Wabash, Mount Union, and Capital (who was ranked #9 at the time).  I know that's not many, especially compared to you guys, but I do watch a lot of football, not just CWRU football.

OK. I wasn't trying to be a pee-pee head, I just see that thrown around a lot, especially the past couple weeks, and yours was the straw that broke the camel's back. I sometimes respond to stuff a little out of context because my mind works in disjointed ways like that. I feel like if I don't write it then it gets lost forever ... and better to make a point out of context than never to have made it at all. Yeah? Maybe?

In any case, I value the insights of the people on the board who have seen other teams or have the insight you can get seeing a team several times.

And I do stand by everything I said, with the "directed at you" feeling replaced by me speaking generally.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

jam40jeff

Fair enough.  I enjoy this board and being able to discuss football rationally.  You guys all do a very good job of that.  I just felt that my comments were being misconstrued as all being CWRU propaganda, when I actually haven't mentioned there ranking as of late because I know they need to prove something, and that chance probably won't come until the playoffs (which they hopefully will be in).  I think my comments reflect my work mood some days as well, and you'll see the ones that are posted in the afternoon are usually the saltiest. :)

I also have a friend who currently starts for JCU (which is also my wife's alma mater).  So I see my fair share of OAC football as well.  I would never try to argue that CWRU's schedule is tough after seeing the games those teams play week in and week out.  But I still do believe they are a very good football team (and of course I am biased, being proud of my own alma mater).

HScoach

Quote from: K-Mack on November 06, 2008, 01:34:29 PM
In any case, I value the insights of the people on the board who have seen other teams or have the insight you can get seeing a team several times.

Uh, Mount Union is pretty good.

How's that for some insight? ;)
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

jam40jeff

That's truth, not insight. :)

(Actually, it would probably be more truthful if you replaced "pretty" with "ridiculously".)

retagent

Taking the risk of being misconstrued, as jam40 appears to have been, I'm just wondering whether either Carleton or St John's will get into the top 25 this week. I guess it all depends on whether you see the MIAC glass as being half-full or half empty. It goes without saying that parity has come to that league. Whether the voters believe that means that all teams have gone down, or that the traditional lesser teams have risen, is the question.

SaintsFAN

Well, I know there's going to be room for at least one new team, retagent.  My Thomas More Saints didn't handle their 5 days in the top 25 very well.   :-[
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Ralph Turner

Quote from: retagent on November 09, 2008, 11:25:24 AM
Taking the risk of being misconstrued, as jam40 appears to have been, I'm just wondering whether either Carleton or St John's will get into the top 25 this week. I guess it all depends on whether you see the MIAC glass as being half-full or half empty. It goes without saying that parity has come to that league. Whether the voters believe that means that all teams have gone down, or that the traditional lesser teams have risen, is the question.
I think that the assessment of the MIAC is how the MIAC Pool A bid fares in the playoffs.

I can imagine all of the MIAC boats rising if the Pool A wins the first round of the playoffs.  That bespeaks at least the #7 conference in all D-III.

Pat and Keith will re-rank the conferences after the playoffs. ;)