BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEC Fan

First national rankings out for 2013...lots of New England teams in the polls. Eastern, USM in the top 25 with KSC receiving votes.

http://www.collegiatebaseball.com/polls/divIII/currentpolldiviii.htm?DB_OEM_ID=18900

Hope everybody had a good Christmas and enjoy their New Years!

Old Man

WOW - Congrats to ECSU and USM and KSU - 3 teams in preseason.

OM

lefthanders

Once again we see that the pre-season polls are about who you know...not what you have done lately. Happy to see 3 LEC teams in poll, just don't agree with where they are...not at all!

Congrats to Wheaton....well deserved and might be there all year!

Old Man

KSU Owls schedule on website - 40 games - 10 vs. NCAA teams last year and 3 that were in ECAC postseason - Playing the best they can again.  Agree with lefthander - maybe coach howe needs to be in abca hall of fame to ALWAYS make preseason polls.  As always - looking forward to the new season.

Happy New Year to all the posters.

OM

kscer

I notice that seven of the nine teams KSC plays in Florida are New England teams. I assume they count as in-region games. Are in-region games more important than out-of-region? Just seems odd to me to travel 1500 miles to play teams that are no more than 100 miles away from home.

ECSUalum

Quote from: lefthanders on December 27, 2012, 11:46:04 AM
Once again we see that the pre-season polls are about who you know...not what you have done lately. Happy to see 3 LEC teams in poll, just don't agree with where they are...not at all!

Congrats to Wheaton....well deserved and might be there all year!

I challeged the legitimacy of the D-III pre-season basketball polls earlier this year and got blasted for it.  Suffice it to say that the REAL rankings will take shape in mid April or so , only after we know who has transfered and was recruited and see games played.

ECSUalum

Here are Boyd's 2012 final NCAA D-III rating/rankings which include SOS on 359 schools playing Div-III
http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/d3_isr.html

Some representitive 2012 SOS's

Marietta 12
Kean 4
Rowan 9
Montclair St 3
I think the  last 3 NJAC teams generally have high SOS's as it is a VERY STRONG Conference and of course they play many games against each other.

LEC TEAMS
ECSU 109
Keene St 104
WCSU 140
UMB 116

OTHER NE Teams
Trinity College 119
WNEU 202

Hobbesy

Happy New Year everyone!!

You can get a glimpse at all of the New England schedules by following this link http://d3baseball.com/teams/region/new_England

Some aren't full but all conference schedules are in there.

Interesting note, Eastern Connecticut will face Endicott early in the season at Endicott. It will be the first time the teams have met since 2003. Eastern has won the only meeting.

ECSUalum

Here is introductory write-up by SID Bob Molta on the 2013 ECSU Warrior Baseball Season.
http://nutmeg.easternct.edu/mt-static/athletics/2013/01/baseball-warriors-open-at-no-24.html

Hopefully they get some good offensive production from their returning veterans, as that is what was a weakness last year IMHO.  Pitching should be good.

Molta comments on a couple of transfers: Chuck Vogt from Keene and a CCSU/Keystone College catcher Tyler Caserta.  The 2013 roster has not been posted on the ECSU athletics page yet, so dont know who Coach Holowaty recruited.  When that info comes out I will try to make some comments on the top frosh.
Eastern ranked 24th in preseason poll, whatever that means.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: kscer on December 30, 2012, 10:17:03 AM
I notice that seven of the nine teams KSC plays in Florida are New England teams. I assume they count as in-region games. Are in-region games more important than out-of-region? Just seems odd to me to travel 1500 miles to play teams that are no more than 100 miles away from home.
Yes, they count towards the regional rankings.

In-region games are more important.  They are primary criteria.

The weather will likely be better.  ;)

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 07, 2013, 12:09:45 PM

Remember NCAA has changed the rules for DIII for 2013 what counts and what does not as far as primary/secondary criteria...
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

OshDude

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on January 07, 2013, 04:14:19 PM

Remember NCAA has changed the rules for DIII for 2013 what counts and what does not as far as primary/secondary criteria...
The new rules take effect in the 2013-14 academic year, which begins in August 2013.

kscer

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on January 07, 2013, 05:09:13 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on January 07, 2013, 04:14:19 PM

The new rules take effect in the 2013-14 academic year, which begins in August 2013.
The wearher will certainly be better. Looks like Coach Howe is learning the game!

7express

Judging by what's on the d3baseball page (since the schedule isn't out on the website yet) Western will be behind the 8 ball again this season in regards to number of games played because our spring break and subsequent Florida trip is late this year (March 25-30).  By the time we get to Florida (March 22) we'd only have played 4 games....and that's assuming we don't get any snow that postpones those games.  In that same time frame:
Keene has 14 scheduled, RIC has 4 scheduled as well, Dartmouth has 8, Plymouth has 10, Boston has 9, USM has 4, and so does Eastern.  I don't think these schedules include the Florida trip, however.