FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Wheaton Coach will be announced today from what I understand.  My money is on in house guy Jesse Scott.

USee

An article about new Mt Union Head Coach Geoff Dartt. In it, Larry K talks about hiring OL coaches as head coaches and has a quote about Swider. Kind of ironic, given the forthcoming news:

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/2020/01/mount-union-hires-geoff-dart-to-replace-vince-kehres-as-football-coach.html

"I think offensive line coaches often make good head coaches," said Larry Kehres, who is Vince Kehres' father and a longtime Mount Union coach.

"Geoff was coached here (at Mount) by Matt Campbell (now head coach at Iowa State)," added Larry Kehres. "He's learned a lot over the years."

Dartt's first coaching job was three years (2008-11) at Wheaton College in charge of the offensive line.

"That's really important," said Larry Kehres. "(Wheaton Coach) Mike Swider does a great job."

After that, Dartt returned to his alma mater to work for Vince Kehres.

New Tradition

**keeps refreshing this page waiting for news**
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

Thunderdome21

Quote from: USee on January 27, 2020, 10:18:16 AM
Wheaton Coach will be announced today from what I understand.  My money is on in house guy Jesse Scott.

I would be somewhat surprised if it were Jesse Scott since the Wheaton job description preferred the next coach to have a Masters Degree and head coach experience.

shepherd

Quote from: JShaffer1 on January 27, 2020, 06:44:15 PM

I would be somewhat surprised if it were Jesse Scott since the Wheaton job description preferred the next coach to have a Masters Degree and head coach experience.
preferred is not a finite attribute in the description.
My experience working at colleges is that many will accept working on Masters for teaching jobs.
Jesse Scott would be a great choice in MHO.

SpartanHouse

Thunderdome21

Quote from: Go Thunder on January 27, 2020, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: JShaffer1 on January 27, 2020, 06:44:15 PM

preferred is not a finite attribute in the description.
My experience working at colleges is that many will accept working on Masters for teaching jobs.
Jesse Scott would be a great choice in MHO.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  Jesse Scott would be a great choice as Wheaton's head coach. He was one of the main reasons my son committed to play for Wheaton.

USee

Quote from: BigRedScots on January 27, 2020, 10:22:17 PM
Have a source that says Jesse has the job.

I wasn't guessing in my post yesterday morning.   ;)

Announcement is coming.... probably this afternoon.

USee

4pm central is about the time for the expected announcement

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

blue_jays

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 28, 2020, 05:10:33 PM
As promised:
https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/01/wheaton-names-new-head-coach

I like the hire for Wheaton. Jesse has proven himself as a quality coordinator, and the stability of being currently entrenched in the program will hopefully keep the upward trajectory on track.
As an aside, I'm also a big fan of Mount hiring Dartt, liked him back in his Wheaton days.

Gregory Sager

I've noticed that several boards have had fans discussing the need to come up with a transfer QB to replace a graduating star signal-caller, with the idea that this is the soundest way to maintain the high status of the program. At halftime of last Saturday's Elmhurst @ North Park men's basketball game I interviewed NPU head football coach Kyle Rooker on the air. We talked about Vikings QB Grant Borsch, and I mentioned that I thought he'd performed estimably last season, despite not having much to work with around him and in spite of his own physical limitations. Kyle agreed with me, but mentioned that, given the mindset that the only way to improve the NPU football program is to instill vigorous in-house competition at every position, NPU would be bringing in another transfer QB. (Of course, Melvin Bobo came in as a transfer QB last year, but the running back situation for the Vikings was so dire that he had to be moved to RB.)

Whether they're the cavalry coming over the hill for a program looking to stay on top, or a challenger to an incumbent for a developing program, it looks like transfer QBs are all the rage right now.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

thunderdog

As promised:

Congrats to Jesse Scott on becoming the next Head Coach for Wheaton Football! Besides Jesse's success as OC for the past 4 years, the thing that stands out to me the most is his work as recruiting coordinator since 2013. I think there's been a noticeable & undeniable uptick in talent on the Wheaton roster the past 6-7 years that has afforded the team tremendous depth that just wasn't there in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Wheaton's ability to "plug and play" if a #1 goes down has been impressive and been a key reason for its continued success. I'm excited to see what Wheaton Football can do with Jesse at the helm... Let's Roll!

izzy stradlin

Quote from: thunderdog on January 29, 2020, 12:59:03 PM
As promised:

Congrats to Jesse Scott on becoming the next Head Coach for Wheaton Football! Besides Jesse's success as OC for the past 4 years, the thing that stands out to me the most is his work as recruiting coordinator since 2013. I think there's been a noticeable & undeniable uptick in talent on the Wheaton roster the past 6-7 years that has afforded the team tremendous depth that just wasn't there in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. Wheaton's ability to "plug and play" if a #1 goes down has been impressive and been a key reason for its continued success. I'm excited to see what Wheaton Football can do with Jesse at the helm... Let's Roll!

Totally agree about the recruiting.  I feel like Wheaton was definitely behind NCC for a few years in overall talent but starting we the Peltz/Bowers 2013 class Wheaton has pulled even talent wise.