MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OxyBob

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2012, 09:03:46 AM
Personally, I'm a big fan of the bracket projection done by d3hoops. It gives Whitworth a first round bye, a fair second round matchup, and then a pod in the midwest (Ill, Wisc, MO).

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2012, 12:13:02 PM
Well, Whitworth gets hosed.

ouch

How was that elevator ride?

OxyBob

(509)Rat

I can't believe I let everyone talk me out of my original thought...you included! You are all partly to blame! Especially that bald SCIAC ref, it's mostly his fault...

A Buc Forever

Rat,

Don't you think the term "hosed" is a bit of an understatement in this case!!!! WW goes to Texas and their second game play the #5 team in the nation.  In a 62 team field that is the equivalent of a 2 seed and a 3 seed playing in the second round. 

CMS got the same deal as us.  Second round game against what would be 2 seed.

Does the AD from Wooster set this up?  Wooster, ranked #19 plays at home and no one in their bracket is even ranked. This is like a 5 seed getting to play teams seeded in the teens all the way to the sweet-16.  Nice.  They will probably play their second weekend games at home also.  Tough place to come in a win a game.  They will only have to win one tough game to get to the final 4. Kind of like last year.

I get the fact that the Wisconsin schools deserve 3 teams in the tournament.  However, why can't the NWC or the SCIAC get 2?  UPS beat their conference tournament champion.  UPS's only non-league loss was to a SCIAC team.  I guess the key to being ranked highly is to:
1.  Be from the East Coast.
2.  Play bad teams out of league
3.  Play in a weak league

Pretty much describes #3 MIT

To get to the round of 8, the highest ranked team MIT plays will be #23.  Amherst plays no ranked teams to get to the round of 8. There are a total of 3 ranked teams in the MIT/Amherst bracket to get to the final 4.  You could say that Amherst does have to get by #3 MIT to get to the final 4, but that is a weak #3.  In the Whitworth/CMS there are 6 ranked teams.  Does anyone wonder why the far west teams have such a hard time getting to the final 4?

playball

Well, to be honest, I think the west coast teams get the shaft due to their being a higher number of east coast teams in division 3.  The large number of NAIA teams out west really makes things difficult to get in region non conference wins as well as non region wins.  The "valley schools" always have to have quite a few NAIA teams, which are scholarship, every year.  This torpedoes all chances of them to get any kind of division three recognition.  A 15-10 record easily gets overlooked, even if the majority of those loses are against kids who are being paid.  If/when those NAIA schools out here go to NCAA is when the west coast gets some kind of recognition.  Until then, we travel at their mercy.  Which sucks

mcmfan

In terms of getting hosed, you seem not to have noticed that UMHB is hosting even though they were knocked out of our conference tournament in the second round, and didn't even make the final game.  But of course, when we at McMurry beat you, it won't matter...  ;D
Alacumba!

(509)Rat

Whitworth's football, soccer, and softball teams have all experienced many of the same issues.

Whitworth's "corner" of the bracket includes 5 teams ranked in the top 11 going into this weekend...5...Must be nice playing out east  :o

There really is no point to schedule tough out of conference teams. Look at NYU's wSOS...They finished with the same number of conference losses as UPS, had a weak out of conference schedule but play in a notoriously strong conference so....I guess they get the nod over a handful of more deserving teams.

(509)Rat

McMurry's lineup looks a lot like Whitman's (minus anyone who resembles D Michaels). Your guards will probably cause the most problems for Whitworth. If they can get into the lane and get Freidt in foul trouble then you all could very well pull this one out. I wouldn't expect McMurry to have the same kind of success rebounding the ball against a bigger and disciplined Whitworth team, but Steven Jones must put his rather stout frame to good use, pulling down 9 rb/g. Whitworth will also shoot the ball better than most (if not all teams) you guys have seen all season. I would bet Saville gets more minutes than normal in order to stop Freidt, I don't know if any of your regular starters are capable of doing it...

But I have a question...is Steven Jones really 6-3 270??? Guy's a bowling ball!

A Buc Forever

Might as well stop whining and get ready to enjoy the games.  The good part is WW gets to play good quality opponents along the way.  It will be great watching some well played, completive games (unlike my daughter's sectional quarterfinal where they held their opponent to 7 at the half).  Will the game be streamed?  Looking forward to seeing Felix battle a 6'3" 270 pounder. 

cover2

Quote from: mcmfan on February 27, 2012, 02:49:07 PM
In terms of getting hosed, you seem not to have noticed that UMHB is hosting even though they were knocked out of our conference tournament in the second round, and didn't even make the final game.  But of course, when we at McMurry beat you, it won't matter...  ;D

mcmfan, I think most people figured UMHB would host due to their regional ranking and only having 2 losses on the season.  Much like the D1 conference tourneys don't typically matter for seeding in the NCAA tournament.

(509)Rat

A buc and playball, your opinions are wanted over on the South Region, American Southwest Conference board...

mcmfan

Yeah, just inter-conference rivalry.  Last year we beat UMHB for the conference title and then they came to McM for our first post-season game (after we got a bye) and beat us.  This year, we split during the season and then beat them in the second round of the conference tournament.  Given these odds, assuming we beat WW, it will be our turn to lose again to them.  But, hey, this is what makes this sport interesting!
Alacumba!

playball

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2012, 06:04:55 PM
A buc and playball, your opinions are wanted over on the South Region, American Southwest Conference board...

You did a pretty good job Rat.  But thanks!

(509)Rat

See playball, you actually KNOW what you are talking about when it comes to hoops. I just pretend to know what I'm talking about and people (for some reason) choose to believe me...occasionally

playball

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 27, 2012, 06:41:47 PM
See playball, you actually KNOW what you are talking about when it comes to hoops. I just pretend to know what I'm talking about and people (for some reason) choose to believe me...occasionally

Gee Rat, thats the nicest thing you've ever said to me!  +K if I could...