FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

bman - That's a tough question to answer. If my kid was promised the world at a D2 school and finds himself with six other kids promised the same thing........I'd have to think through it.

Garcon "stepped down" to Mount Union (although I would argue "stepped up":) and nobody ever mentions that. I'm not sure where you are from but if a few kids who were hot on DVC's radar screen wind up at West Chester, Bloomsburg, etc. and decide that playing time matters more than just putting on the uniform.........I don't see the harm.

As an aside, have you heard any whispers about Widener's stud WR following Coach Collins to the western part of the state?

bman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 13, 2013, 07:18:10 PM
bman - That's a tough question to answer. If my kid was promised the world at a D2 school and finds himself with six other kids promised the same thing........I'd have to think through it.

Garcon "stepped down" to Mount Union (although I would argue "stepped up":) and nobody ever mentions that. I'm not sure where you are from but if a few kids who were hot on DVC's radar screen wind up at West Chester, Bloomsburg, etc. and decide that playing time matters more than just putting on the uniform.........I don't see the harm.

As an aside, have you heard any whispers about Widener's stud WR following Coach Collins to the western part of the state?

Agreed, and certainly not insinuating that DV is looking to build it's program that way...far from it...My point was to point out that the practice under Keeler(and some other programs) was rampant, and it became their way of building the program...which IMO tarnished their reputation.
I completely agree that someone stepping down(or across or up) for playing time or a scholarship makes sense, and is nothing to look down at...Sometimes it's not a good fit and they realize it once they're there...
I'd be disappointed to see him go (an undeerstatement)...although If he were to move on, I'd hope that he could get to a D1 program.  If he was going to lose a year of eligibility, at least shoot high!...but of course I understand the connection across the state....
Unfortunately, I am not very connected to the program anymore, so no real inside access...

PBR...

Quote from: bman on February 13, 2013, 08:38:02 PM

Agreed, and certainly not insinuating that DV is looking to build it's program that way...far from it...My point was to point out that the practice under Keeler(and some other programs) was rampant, and it became their way of building the program...which IMO tarnished their reputation.
I completely agree that someone stepping down(or across or up) for playing time or a scholarship makes sense, and is nothing to look down at...Sometimes it's not a good fit and they realize it once they're there...
I'd be disappointed to see him go (an undeerstatement)...although If he were to move on, I'd hope that he could get to a D1 program.  If he was going to lose a year of eligibility, at least shoot high!...but of course I understand the connection across the state....
Unfortunately, I am not very connected to the program anymore, so no real inside access...

Also can be family matters...for example penn st. kicker/punter transferred back to a school in texas this year after his mother was diagnosed with m.s. (cost psu 2 games not having him) He obviously wanted to be closer to home and help out as much as he could...Somewhat to me depends on the situation if its for playing time/family issues etc then agreed I see no problem with it...

Pat Coleman

Garcon didn't step down at all, which is why it isn't mentioned. Garcon played for a year at Norwich, which is D-III, then transferred to Mount Union.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

gordonmann

Here's some news on the upgrades to James Work Memorial Stadium...

http://brand.delval.edu/

PBR...

Quote from: gordonmann on February 14, 2013, 03:34:43 PM
Here's some news on the upgrades to James Work Memorial Stadium...

http://brand.delval.edu/

Hmmmm...now who was it that posted this upgrades on the previous page...   ;)

gordonmann

I didn't see the link, but maybe I missed it.

Forgive my exuberance but I have visions of a much nicer place to spend my Saturday afternoons during Del Val broadcasts.  Think Matt Levy will let me pick out the carpet and wallpaper in the new press box? :)

jmcozenlaw

Pat - With all due respect to what you do (and I love it all).................I get the feeling that you've never been called the "warm and fuzzy" type not the "life of the party" :)

Garcon actually turned down a few scholarship offers directly from high school and when word got out that he was leaving Norwich. Literal step down/up............nah. Theoretical step down......debatable.

PBR...

Quote from: gordonmann on February 15, 2013, 06:01:15 PM
I didn't see the link, but maybe I missed it.

Forgive my exuberance but I have visions of a much nicer place to spend my Saturday afternoons during Del Val broadcasts.  Think Matt Levy will let me pick out the carpet and wallpaper in the new press box? :)

HaHa...now you will have room to let me sit in on the broadcast!  ;D

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 15, 2013, 10:30:00 PM
Pat - With all due respect to what you do (and I love it all).................I get the feeling that you've never been called the "warm and fuzzy" type not the "life of the party" :)

Garcon actually turned down a few scholarship offers directly from high school and when word got out that he was leaving Norwich. Literal step down/up............nah. Theoretical step down......debatable.

This is long since water under the bridge but I don't believe Garcon qualified for an athletic scholarship out of high school. It wasn't that he turned them down.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bman

Widener's 2013 schedule.

Nothing earth shattering, but can't wait to see the WU/Wes game...will definitely make all efforts to travel to Dover for that...
I will probably stay away from Edwardsville PA (for obvious reasons...) :)

Fri.      9/6/2013    Wesley                  Dover, DE              7:00 pm 
Sat.   9/14/2013    Lebanon Valley     Chester, PA           1:00 pm   
Sat.   9/21/2013    Wilkes                   Edwardsville, PA    1:00 pm 
Sat.   9/28/2013    Lycoming               Chester, PA           1:00 pm   
Sat.   10/5/2013    Stevenson             Owings Mills, MD   1:00 pm   
Sat. 10/19/2013    Misericordia HC     Chester, PA           1:00 pm   
Sat. 10/26/2013    FDU-Florham         Chester, PA           1:00 pm   
Sat.   11/2/2013    Albright                  Reading, PA          1:00 pm   
Sat.   11/9/2013    King's                     Chester, PA          1:00 pm   
Sat. 11/16/2013    Delaware Valley    Doylestown PA      1:00 pm 

gordonmann

I thought all MAC teams that participated in the 2012 MAC-NJAC challenge would do so again in 2013. In that structure, Widener would have played Western Connecticut again.  This is an enormous jump in level of competition.

rams1102

W.Conn is no longer in the NJAC, and yes a huge step up. Better to get Wesley in the first game rather than the last. Good Luck to the Pride.
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

bill

bman

Are lots of other teams using Quick?  I ask because of the lights. It seems strange to put lights in, and then never have night games!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

bman

Bill

It is being used by other teams.  I see that they recently had a Rugby game under the lights.  I'm sure they will start scheduling Friday night games (I guess for 2015) since the next 2 years are basically already scheduled.  Maybe the opener for 2014 would be their first chance to schedule football.   It's nice to see they have them nonetheless..