MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

A number of general and specific comments.
Middhoops...was planning to check in on the cited game.  More incentive to watch now.
JEFFFAN....agree with your comments on the Amherst win.  Wrt FY Fru Che, the announcer at an earlier game pointed out that HC Hixon mentioned that Che arrived on campus as a "finished" player from a strong HS program.  Size would indicate a 3- player but he replaced Sellew in the game for a period at the 4- position.  Likewise, Sellew moved to the center position as Hixon shuttle in and out players.  TMac came in for a period to play PG when Robinson went to the bench.
JMac took the primary task to guard Mr Ross, the All-American candidate for Springfield.  JMac not only slowed J. Ross down but negated Ross's performance with his own.  JMac outscored him, had more assists, and had only fewer RBs.  TMac however had more RBs than Ross.
Springfield is a solid team, but it must be noted that it's three loses to date are to Nescac schools...Williams, Trinity and now Amherst.

Greek Tragedy

Is there a Mac Daddy or Daddy Mac that plays along with JMac and TMac? That would be a fearsome foursome. "Warm It Up Chris" could be their intro.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

amh63

Greek Tragedy....the parents of the Mac brothers are both Amherst alums.  The father played basketball at Amherst and Captained his team.  The mother was a mult-sport player at Amherst. Do not know if one sport was basketball.  However, the family members are athletic!

jayhawk

As far as the McCarthy  family the parents and kids are great people. and they are all also academically accomplished.  Yes both parents played basketball at Amherst. The older sister is I believe  all state in high school and was recruited by major D1 programs and has committed to play at Harvard.
I will happily sign off
No comments from Amherst 63

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: middhoops on December 13, 2017, 01:06:36 PM
A note to Panther fans.
Swarthmore plays at York at 8 tonight.  Both teams are undefeated and are two of Midd's next three opponents.
Massey calls it a toss up.

York won a close one.  Both teams looked pretty good, but also both looked beatable.  Strong post presence from both teams and aggressive, quick guards.  I'm looking forward to both Midd matchups.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ContinentalDomer

Williams football fans will remember (or wish to forget) JMac 2d stopping a Williams runner on 4th down at the 1 yard line to seal a win for the team formerly known as the Lord Jeffs. It's all about the D. 
Quote from: jayhawk on December 13, 2017, 04:20:17 PM
As far as the McCarthy  family the parents and kids are great people. and they are all also academically accomplished.  Yes both parents played basketball at Amherst. The older sister is I believe  all state in high school and was recruited by major D1 programs and has committed to play at Harvard.
I will happily sign off
No comments from Amherst 63

amh63

Creakyknees...thanks for the link!  Plus K
Some comments on the Swarthmore vs York game I watched online last night.  Very competitive game with the relative smaller York team battling throughout and took the final lead late in the game.
IMO not much difference between the two teams wrt the talent.  Both unbeaten....York 's lone lost was To a higher level/division team. 
The Garnet out rebounded the York team in the first half but York adjusted with a full court press.  Swarthmore's noted big man ended up fouling out and did not score a point. The announcers noted Swarthmore's all-American guard who did not impact the game.  York had several guards that out played him, imho.  Maybe it was the home court advantage?? 
Swarthmore had only 13 players on its roster.
Both teams are solid...but believe Midd will have the depth and talent to win both away games against York and Swarthmore.

warriorcat

Quote from: creakyknees on December 14, 2017, 10:51:44 AM
A nice article about perhaps the best athlete in the McCarthy family....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/erik-brady/2017/04/12/nba-playoffs-russell-westbrook-triple-doubles-okc-thunder-johnny-mccarthy/100334566/

Thanks for this story. I will think about it every time I see Amherst over the next few years.

nescac1

Big recruiting news for the Ephs as Jovan Jones turns down multiple D1 scholarship offers to join the Ephs. 

https://twitter.com/rivalsnation/status/942118569776644096

He is ranked 38 in New England by NERR, which is the highest I've seen for a NESCAC recruit ... previous highest was I believe Duncan Robinson at 47.  Should make an early impact at the wing for the Ephs. 

Really strong ED class for the Ephs ... I'll post video on all three guys (Ryan Moon, Jones, and skilled wing Spencer Spivy, who's also been recently reported as committed to the Ephs) later in weekend ...

toad22

Quote from: nescac1 on December 16, 2017, 03:25:48 PM
Big recruiting news for the Ephs as Jovan Jones turns down multiple D1 scholarship offers to join the Ephs. 

https://twitter.com/rivalsnation/status/942118569776644096

He is ranked 38 in New England by NERR, which is the highest I've seen for a NESCAC recruit ... previous highest was I believe Duncan Robinson at 47.  Should make an early impact at the wing for the Ephs. 

Really strong ED class for the Ephs ... I'll post video on all three guys (Ryan Moon, Jones, and skill
wing Spencer Spivy, who's also been recently reported as committed to the Ephs) later in weekend ...

Jones has a skill set rarely seen in the NESCAC. He should be a real four year contributor, probably a star. Eph is very happy to have him on board!

jayhawk

Interesting about ratings I am sure the player from Belmont Hill committed to Willia mss is a fine player and Belmont hill has a very good team with David Mitchell commited to Brown

Went to Milton Academy versus  St Sebastian  ( same school is where the famed Matt Karpowicz went) where Will Phelan playing on an undermanned St Sebastian played at least even with Cormac Ryan ranked i think 3 in New England and 41 Nationally if not better

Will Phelan is an Amherst College early decision recruit

Did not know much about him before game  but he is the real deal always interesting to see how that translates to college BBALL
can dribble with either hand, hits three point sho,t drives to the basket has lift and I thought the best part of his game was his passing.
time will tell

nescac1

Some more info on the three Williams ED recruits:

NERR with a story on Jovan Jones: https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/jones-makes-pick

He appears to be a very big, strong, athletic wing, who is also a smooth finisher with a nice-looking 3 point stroke.  He should be a very effective rebounder and defender early in his career.  You can see him in a few highlights in the recent Belmont Hill win over South Kent, a very strong opponent - he is number 23 (the block at the end is especially impressive):
https://twitter.com/BelmontHill?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor 
And here are a few highlights from his sophomore year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtrAsLKl5xc

Spencer Spivy is another Williams recruit who figures to play the wing at the D3 level (he often plays the point in high school).  Although similarly-sized at 6'5, he's a very different player from Jovan, not especially quick, strong, or explosive as a leaper, but already VERY skilled, with deep range on his 3 point shot and an ability to shoot off the dribble.  The initial challenge for him may be dealing with perimeter quickness at the college level but he is already an excellent passer, shooter, and ball-handler, with a high hoops IQ:

Some general highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8LfmNjsqTU
As well as some video from a recent game against a solid opponent, that is less of a cherry-picked sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcAZEES9KAk

Finally, here is some video on Ryan Moon, the incoming Eph PG.  With Greenman and Galvin graduating, there will be a need for someone to step up into a ball-handling and facilitating role for the Ephs next year, and along with a few guys on the current roster who've yet to see much time, Moon may be in the mix early.  He looks like a classic true point guard, only 6'0 tall but tough and physical, who can handle and pass, who will need to develop his outside game over time. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbLRS94D_Xs

Overall, looks like a really strong ED class for the Ephs who definitely need some immediate help on the perimeter as they will graduate 3 of their top 4 guards, with the fourth heading into his senior year ...

nescac1

A few other NESCAC commitments:

Sam Peek, 6'6 G, Trinity Pawling, Wesleyan
Carson Cohen, 6'2 G, Fox Chapel (PA), Tufts

Old Guy

Halftime at the Celtics game, jes sitting here watching the game with Young Guy who's working on "power rankings" for nothingbutnescac, and thinking about NESCAC hoop in this loooong stretch of no games.

I am not headed for Virginia and Midd's participation in the Holiday Tournament at Washington & Lee though I would like to. Bucket, a W&L alum, will be there with Young Bucket. York just knocked off Swarthmore by four (83-79) to remove the Garnet (8-1) from the unbeaten list. Midd plays York (8-0) next at W&L, and then Swarthmore here in VT on Jan 2 after the tourney and before students get back. Whoever thought a few years ago that a Middlebury-Swarthmore match-up would match two top D3 teams?

One Midd player who has operated somewhat in the background in these first six games is Hilal Dahleh (lots of interesting pronunciations of that name by video guys on the road). There were hopes that he might return to form after a year off (back injury), but really how big a factor was he as a frosh two years ago? He was a nice complementary piece coming off the bench for 5 points in 13 minutes a game.

He's starting this year and playing well (9.2 ppt 20 mins) playing in Midd's three guard alignment. Versatile player, athletic. Offensively, he can go to the hoop and finish and also shoot the three (third in NESCAC now at 53% 9-17 — I know, it's early). Plus he plays both ends. He's a tough on the ball defender. When Daly got in foul trouble guarding Skidmore's bull-to-the hoop Rupkis, Hilal picked him up and did a good job.

Middlebury answered some questions in that Skidmore game. Hilal's a factor. Some tough games coming up, then it's on to Connecticut!