FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaterboy

Wow JCU is on its way to downing 3 D3 titans and their season isnt over yet. Fairy tale season for them... would love to see a Wesley-UWW game.

This game begs the question, people from Wesley, Mount and UWW have all said that the 2016 versions of each team has been "a down year" or "not as good as usual." I'm beginning to wonder does the top of D3 fluctuate in talent at the same rate across teams each year? The only team from the top that I havent heard much about them having a "down" season is UMHB. Or is everyone else catching up? Speaking in terms of Wesley, I would have gladly taken the teams of the past over this years version.

wesleydad

The JCU result today just makes Wesley's game look better last week.  They went 2 OT with very little offense and had a field goal attempt for a chance to win.  Guess maybe my thoughts that this Wesley team was a step below the last few years may be wrong.  JCU has a great chance of making the Stagg bowl with that defense.

thewaterboy

Quote from: wesleydad on December 03, 2016, 03:43:18 PM
The JCU result today just makes Wesley's game look better last week.  They went 2 OT with very little offense and had a field goal attempt for a chance to win.  Guess maybe my thoughts that this Wesley team was a step below the last few years may be wrong.  JCU has a great chance of making the Stagg bowl with that defense.
I have a hard time wrapping my head this year's Wesley team being on the level of last years....especially the offense.

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on December 03, 2016, 03:51:22 PM
I have a hard time wrapping my head this year's Wesley team being on the level of last years....especially the offense.

The major issue was consistency at QB.  There were some opportunities lost with overshot passes last week.  All you needed was was one or two of those passes to hook up and we could have seen Wesley out there today.  Today's JCU game was a real eye opener.  It showed just how close Wesley was in terms of talent and coaching of making it to the next level.  It certainly helps in looking forward to next season with a more experienced Falkenburg at the helm to imagine Wesley tightening up it's offensive gameplay.  Yeah, it will hurt to see Shade and Baynard gone, but I think that Wesley will reload as usual and allow some of that unseen talent show itself.  Definitely a positive sign today about Wesley's ability to go on the road and hang tough with a tough team.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

thewaterboy

Quote from: Teamski on December 03, 2016, 03:59:26 PM
Quote from: thewaterboy on December 03, 2016, 03:51:22 PM

The major issue was consistency at QB.  There were some opportunities lost with overshot passes last week.  All you needed was was one or two of those passes to hook up and we could have seen Wesley out there today.  Today's JCU game was a real eye opener.  It showed just how close Wesley was in terms of talent and coaching of making it to the next level.  It certainly helps in looking forward to next season with a more experienced Falkenburg at the helm to imagine Wesley tightening up it's offensive gameplay.  Yeah, it will hurt to see Shade and Baynard gone, but I think that Wesley will reload as usual and allow some of that unseen talent show itself.  Definitely a positive sign today about Wesley's ability to go on the road and hang tough with a tough team.

-Ski
All very true... Wesley is usually right there in the end. I wonder if theres a possibility of the return of James Okike next season...

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on December 03, 2016, 04:30:18 PM
All very true... Wesley is usually right there in the end. I wonder if theres a possibility of the return of James Okike next season...

That would be nice.

-Ski

wesleydad

Each game is its own animal.  But you can compare how the teams looked against each other and Wesley was more than competitive with JCU.  JCU dominated today's game with UWW.  St. Thomas turns the ball over 8 times and loses by 3, how good are they?  Maybe the WIAC was not as strong as thought.  Next weeks games look really interesting.  I don't see how Mount beats UMHB, but if the game becomes a shoot out you never know and as always Mount takes advantage of turnovers.  The rematch with Oshkosh and JCU is really nice.  Who is the home team?  I think JCU will be since they were in the higher bracket and both teams are 2's.  The Stagg looks like it will be good anyway it comes out.  I was not really planning on going but if UMHB is in it I am heading down.

thewaterboy

Quote from: wesleydad on December 03, 2016, 04:55:37 PM
Each game is its own animal.  But you can compare how the teams looked against each other and Wesley was more than competitive with JCU.  JCU dominated today's game with UWW.  St. Thomas turns the ball over 8 times and loses by 3, how good are they?  Maybe the WIAC was not as strong as thought.  Next weeks games look really interesting.  I don't see how Mount beats UMHB, but if the game becomes a shoot out you never know and as always Mount takes advantage of turnovers.  The rematch with Oshkosh and JCU is really nice.  Who is the home team?  I think JCU will be since they were in the higher bracket and both teams are 2's.  The Stagg looks like it will be good anyway it comes out.  I was not really planning on going but if UMHB is in it I am heading down.
A Wesley-UWW game would be very interesting after last Saturday's result.

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on December 06, 2016, 01:05:53 AM

The question would have been how the offense would have worked out.  No doubt the Wesley defense would have done a decent job but a stalled offense would have given UWW opportunities.......  That said, it was an amazing performance Wesley had against JCU even with the lack of offensive pressure.   A lot to be proud of.

-Ski

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Teamski on December 06, 2016, 10:04:43 AM
Quote from: thewaterboy on December 06, 2016, 01:05:53 AM

The question would have been how the offense would have worked out.  No doubt the Wesley defense would have done a decent job but a stalled offense would have given UWW opportunities.......  That said, it was an amazing performance Wesley had against JCU even with the lack of offensive pressure.   A lot to be proud of.

-Ski

From an outsider, I believe that Wesley offense would have been much more successful (not a lot) offensively against UWW. John Carroll's defense is the best I've seen in all of the playoffs this year. However, regarding UWW vs. Wesley, it would have came down to coaching, I was impressed with Wesley wanted to be balance towards the end of the season, but at times they become one-dimensional which leads to less possessions and more opportunities for other teams.

Desertraider

Quote from: thewaterboy on December 03, 2016, 03:41:31 PM
Wow JCU is on its way to downing 3 D3 titans and their season isnt over yet. Fairy tale season for them... would love to see a Wesley-UWW game.

This game begs the question, people from Wesley, Mount and UWW have all said that the 2016 versions of each team has been "a down year" or "not as good as usual." I'm beginning to wonder does the top of D3 fluctuate in talent at the same rate across teams each year? The only team from the top that I havent heard much about them having a "down" season is UMHB. Or is everyone else catching up? Speaking in terms of Wesley, I would have gladly taken the teams of the past over this years version.

It all really depends on what your definition of "down season" is. I think the majority of Mount fans see a down season as one in which Mount won't win it all, loses an OAC game, or is lacking at least one dominant player on one or both sides of the ball - or all of these in the same season. For me it is enough to look at a Mount team and think 'ya know this just isn't the year - either they are giving up too many points or yards or not scoring enough or they just aren't dominating games the way Mount fans have become accustomed. Maybe UWW fans are in the same boat. The reason - the bar is set higher. I know that sounds arrogant and I don't mean for it to come off that way but stats back it up. The last 17 of 20 National Championships are either Mount or UWW and Mount has made 22 consecutive National Semifinals and 11 straight Stagg Bowls. So "down year" has a different meaning.

I know a ton of fans would love to be still playing and would consider that a success - I guess only at Mount and maybe UWW is that 'not good enough' - which really sucks when you think about it. Lance Leipold from UWW was asked why he was leaving to take over Buffalo and part of his rationale was (not a direct quote - but accurate) 'when you beat a team like UWO 26-20 and the fans are like "that might as well be a loss" it shows the expectations'. It is what it is. UMHB has had some great teams, this year is one of them, but come up short against Mount or UWW, or the Stagg they lost to Linfield - maybe those wouldn't be down years for UMHB. They have been 13-1, 12-2 for the last I don't know how many years. But they have not won it all, yet (I think this year is UMHBs year). Had they won it all and then come up short - maybe that would be a down year. But for some fan bases - and teams - 12-2, 13-1, 14-1 and no championship = down year. Mount doesn't even have a football banquet unless they win the Stagg Bowl and doesn't do conference championship rings (especially this year) because that isn't the goal.

Sorry for the ramble. Didn't realize I had until I stopped and looked back. Ouch.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Teamski

Wow, if last night's game didn't remind me almost exactly of the Wesley/ JCU game!  It was almost uncanny.  Two teams, one with an offense that couldn't execute; the other being held up by a stingy defense coming down to the wire.  When have you ever seen a playoff dominated by the defenses as this years?  Crazy!

-Ski

Teamski

Pretty disappointed Wesley ended up with being ranked 15th even after JCU had to beat them in double overtime after a 7-7 regular time score.  I would have expected at least 12th.....   :-\

-Ski

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Teamski on December 19, 2016, 10:29:34 AM
Pretty disappointed Wesley ended up with being ranked 15th even after JCU had to beat them in double overtime after a 7-7 regular time score.  I would have expected at least 12th.....   :-\

-Ski

I actually have you guys in the Top 10 in my fan poll. Although JCU is #3, they are discounting that you actually played on the road and not giving you credit for the game, you guys were just as competitive against them as any other team they faced.

wesleydad

Quote from: D3MAFAN on December 19, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
Quote from: Teamski on December 19, 2016, 10:29:34 AM

-Ski

I actually have you guys in the Top 10 in my fan poll. Although JCU is #3, they are discounting that you actually played on the road and not giving you credit for the game, you guys were just as competitive against them as any other team they faced.

after looking at the list the only team I can argue for being above would be Platteville.  Do I think they are better than 6-8 of the others, probably, but when you have 2 season loses a tight game with the #3 does not make them go away.