FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teamski

Quote from: wesleydad on December 19, 2016, 01:42:21 PM
after looking at the list the only team I can argue for being above would be Platteville.  Do I think they are better than 6-8 of the others, probably, but when you have 2 season loses a tight game with the #3 does not make them go away.

I would agree if those losses were later in the season.  They weren't.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

bman

The East penalty rears its ugly head...

D3MAFAN

Quote from: D3MAFAN on December 19, 2016, 10:54:16 AM
Quote from: Teamski on December 19, 2016, 10:29:34 AM
Pretty disappointed Wesley ended up with being ranked 15th even after JCU had to beat them in double overtime after a 7-7 regular time score.  I would have expected at least 12th.....   :-\

-Ski

I actually have you guys in the Top 10 in my fan poll. Although JCU is #3, they are discounting that you actually played on the road and not giving you credit for the game, you guys were just as competitive against them as any other team they faced.

after looking at the list the only team I can argue for being above would be Platteville.  Do I think they are better than 6-8 of the others, probably, but when you have 2 season loses a tight game with the #3 does not make them go away.

You can say that during the season, but after the season you have a complete picture of how the team performed and how they played towards the end of the year and in the playoffs is much more impressive than the early two losses when they really didn't have an identity or direction where they wanted to be.

Bartman

Quote from: D3MAFAN on December 19, 2016, 03:08:33 PM
Pretty disappointed Wesley ended up with being ranked 15th even after JCU had to beat them in double overtime after a 7-7 regular time score.  I would have expected at least 12th.....   :-\

-Ski

I actually have you guys in the Top 10 in my fan poll. Although JCU is #3, they are discounting that you actually played on the road and not giving you credit for the game, you guys were just as competitive against them as any other team they faced.

You can say that during the season, but after the season you have a complete picture of how the team performed and how they played towards the end of the year and in the playoffs is much more impressive than the early two losses when they really didn't have an identity or direction where they wanted to be.
Wesley ended the year strong with a valiant losing effort to the #3 team , if they had won I think everyone would have forgotten the 2 earlier loses.......but that Christopher Newport loss in week 3, by giving up 21 in the fourth quarter, was pretty bad and has to be factored in to some extent...crazy, since they beat Frostburg St. 43-7 the week before....... and look at Frostburg rolling SJF(Fisher is a questionable #25..... AFCA did not have them in top 25) at the end of the season...a good argument for NJAC edging E8 this year ...
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Mr. Ypsi

FWIW, my national fan poll ballot had Wesley at #7.  It's hard (and uncharacteristic for me) to overlook THREE losses, but two were very early and by the end of the season I think they were the 7th best team in the country.

wesleydad

Quote from: Bartman on December 19, 2016, 03:41:35 PM
Quote from: D3MAFAN on December 19, 2016, 03:08:33 PM

-Ski

Wesley ended the year strong with a valiant losing effort to the #3 team , if they had won I think everyone would have forgotten the 2 earlier loses.......but that Christopher Newport loss in week 3, by giving up 21 in the fourth quarter, was pretty bad and has to be factored in to some extent...crazy, since they beat Frostburg St. 43-7 the week before....... and look at Frostburg rolling SJF(Fisher is a questionable #25..... AFCA did not have them in top 25) at the end of the season...a good argument for NJAC edging E8 this year ...

All the points are fine, but in the end who do you have the jump over?  I said Platteville and I think that is an easy one, but after that who?  I think they were the best team in the East at the end of the season and if they played Alfred would have has a similar game to the Mount result.  The game with JCU looks really good, but good enough to forget about 2 loses, no matter when they occurred in the season.  Win that game as mentioned and all bets are off as far as the other losses go and you can move them up the poll.

Teamski

Quote from: wesleydad on December 20, 2016, 12:08:49 PM
All the points are fine, but in the end who do you have the jump over?  I said Platteville and I think that is an easy one, but after that who?  I think they were the best team in the East at the end of the season and if they played Alfred would have has a similar game to the Mount result.  The game with JCU looks really good, but good enough to forget about 2 loses, no matter when they occurred in the season.  Win that game as mentioned and all bets are off as far as the other losses go and you can move them up the poll.

Point taken, however, who did Hardin Simmons beat that was even ranked?  Wesley has two wins over ranked opponents while HSU has none.  Platteville has none,  and Alfred has one against #25 SJU......

-Ski

jknezek

Quote from: Teamski on December 20, 2016, 02:13:39 PM

Point taken, however, who did Hardin Simmons beat that was even ranked?  Wesley has two wins over ranked opponents while HSU has none.  Platteville has none,  and Alfred has one against #25 SJU......

-Ski

Hardin-Simmons had 2 losses to ranked teams. Platteville had 3 losses to ranked teams. Alfred had one loss to a ranked team. Wesley had 2 losses to unranked teams. That's also a fair way to look at it. I think you could move Wesley up a slot, maybe 2. But those losses just aren't great. Neither are really bad, Del Val is RV and 9-2, CNU was 7-3. But neither of these teams you keep pointing to lost to teams they shouldn't have. According to the rankings, Wesley did that not once but twice. It's hard to keep pushing up a team that under performed in multiple games. You can't just look at wins and ignore the inconsistency. It matters. Especially when other teams aren't showing that kind of inconsistency and only lost the games they were expected to lose.

Over the years I've had the pleasure to see Wesley several times in person. I'm always impressed with their talent. I'm not always impressed with their discipline and execution. I think talent carries them when the other two fail. But it explains things like the "surprise" losses the last two years now that they need to be consistent week in and out in a strong conference.

I would have no problem with Wesley a spot or two higher this year, and most years I think they are firmly in the top 4-8 teams in the country. At times this year I think they played well enough to be in the top 4-8 teams in the country. But at times they simply didn't play well enough to look like a top 25 team, and you just can't ignore those times based on the last game of the season. So it balances out into a very good ranking, even if it isn't where the Wolverines are used to being. But even at 15th, they are still considered inside the top 6.5% of DIII. 93.5% of the division would be pretty happy to be so well thought of.

wesleydad

Quote from: jknezek on December 20, 2016, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: Teamski on December 20, 2016, 02:13:39 PM

-Ski

Hardin-Simmons had 2 losses to ranked teams. Platteville had 3 losses to ranked teams. Alfred had one loss to a ranked team. Wesley had 2 losses to unranked teams. That's also a fair way to look at it. I think you could move Wesley up a slot, maybe 2. But those losses just aren't great. Neither are really bad, Del Val is RV and 9-2, CNU was 7-3. But neither of these teams you keep pointing to lost to teams they shouldn't have. According to the rankings, Wesley did that not once but twice. It's hard to keep pushing up a team that under performed in multiple games. You can't just look at wins and ignore the inconsistency. It matters. Especially when other teams aren't showing that kind of inconsistency and only lost the games they were expected to lose.

Over the years I've had the pleasure to see Wesley several times in person. I'm always impressed with their talent. I'm not always impressed with their discipline and execution. I think talent carries them when the other two fail. But it explains things like the "surprise" losses the last two years now that they need to be consistent week in and out in a strong conference.

I would have no problem with Wesley a spot or two higher this year, and most years I think they are firmly in the top 4-8 teams in the country. At times this year I think they played well enough to be in the top 4-8 teams in the country. But at times they simply didn't play well enough to look like a top 25 team, and you just can't ignore those times based on the last game of the season. So it balances out into a very good ranking, even if it isn't where the Wolverines are used to being. But even at 15th, they are still considered inside the top 6.5% of DIII. 93.5% of the division would be pretty happy to be so well thought of.

Exactly.

CNU85

Geez......It's easier to hire an NFL coach than one at CNU. WTH is going on?

HSCTiger74

Quote from: CNU85 on January 12, 2017, 06:30:20 PM

There's an interesting discussion over on the OAC board that might offer some insight, even if it's not an apples to apples comparison.
TANSTAAFL

CNU85

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on January 12, 2017, 06:57:16 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on January 12, 2017, 06:30:20 PM

There's an interesting discussion over on the OAC board that might offer some insight, even if it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Lots of craziness. Thanks for letting me know.

Teamski

When is the 2017 season going to get here already!?!?!  Gawd!!   ::)

-Ski

MRMIKESMITH

Good to see Salisbury Alum Dan Quinn continuing his success from the Seattle Seahawks to the NFC Champions Atlanta Falcons. Good Luck Dan!