Compelling reasons to move from D3 to D2?

Started by LM3, August 29, 2017, 09:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

LM3

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 29, 2017, 03:24:42 PM
The general consensus here among Chicagoland D3 observers is that Benedictine's dalliance with D2 membership is reflective of jknezek's driver #4. Chicagoland is replete with D3 schools, but there's only one D2 institution (Lewis), and, with the demise of St. Joseph's (IN), there's now only one other D2 school within three hours of Chicago (UW-Parkside, up in Kenosha, WI).

Thanks for that input on Benedictine. So am I understanding you correctly that their potential move might be fueled by there being too many competitive D-3's around them...I could see them looking at less direct competitio, but when you factor in how few D2's there are within 3 hours, I wonder if that is not trading one deficit for another. Is Benedictine supposedly still mulling this idea?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: LM3 on August 30, 2017, 02:51:28 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 29, 2017, 03:24:42 PM
The general consensus here among Chicagoland D3 observers is that Benedictine's dalliance with D2 membership is reflective of jknezek's driver #4. Chicagoland is replete with D3 schools, but there's only one D2 institution (Lewis), and, with the demise of St. Joseph's (IN), there's now only one other D2 school within three hours of Chicago (UW-Parkside, up in Kenosha, WI).

Thanks for that input on Benedictine. So am I understanding you correctly that their potential move might be fueled by there being too many competitive D-3's around them...I could see them looking at less direct competitio, but when you factor in how few D2's there are within 3 hours, I wonder if that is not trading one deficit for another. Is Benedictine supposedly still mulling this idea?

Benedictine is looking at it... and while Greg has a good sense of what is going on or the reasons behind it, I have also been told that there may be an ego move here. The president wants to make his mark... alums want to only donate to scholarships... that kind of BS.

I personally have felt this isn't going to happen, but better to say... I've heard this talk before and schools have remained in DIII.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

smedindy

Oh, please. You can donate to scholarships at a D-3 school - just not athletic scholarships. Have them donate the the unrestricted scholarship endowment.

smedindy

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 30, 2017, 02:17:58 PM
Speaking of D2 ... two days after developing a new "brand identity," the D2 Heartland Conference is losing 8 of its 9 teams to the Lone Star Conference in 2019.  http://lonestarconference.org/news/2017/8/30/general-membership083017.aspx

Well, they definitely rebranded!

And....HELLO NEWMAN! (The sole survivor!)

http://newmanjets.com/news/2017/8/29/baseball-newman-to-explore-new-conference-affiliation.aspx

Ron Boerger

Quote from: smedindy on August 30, 2017, 04:54:21 PM
Speaking of D2 ... two days after developing a new "brand identity," the D2 Heartland Conference is losing 8 of its 9 teams to the Lone Star Conference in 2019.  http://lonestarconference.org/news/2017/8/30/general-membership083017.aspx

http://newmanjets.com/news/2017/8/29/baseball-newman-to-explore-new-conference-affiliation.aspx

I thought the SAA did the SCAC a dirty ... at least they left enough for the SCAC to continue in some form (tho RIP SCAC football  :().

Interesting that Newman was academically one of the high-achieving schools in the Heartland.   Wish them all the best with the bad hand they were just dealt.    MIAA?  GLVC?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 31, 2017, 08:39:31 AM
Quote from: smedindy on August 30, 2017, 04:54:21 PM

I thought the SAA did the SCAC a dirty ... at least they left enough for the SCAC to continue in some form (tho RIP SCAC football  :().

Interesting that Newman was academically one of the high-achieving schools in the Heartland.   Wish them all the best with the bad hand they were just dealt.    MIAA?  GLVC?

I am not sure how the SAA did the SCAC a dirty. That move was not a secret. It had been discussed for YEARS. Travel was a major challenge and that was a heck of a travel schedule. No surprise at all the eastern half left to form their own conference. Did the SCAC get left with very few options around them? Sure. But again... we all knew that was going to happen. The entire SCAC knew it was going to happen.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

justafan12

I don't believe it has been a well kept secret but UT Tyler is pondering the move from D3 to D2.  I have heard that if done they will announce it in early 2018 and begin playing combined D3 and D2 schedules next year (18-19).  Heard they will join the Heartland conference.  UT Tyler does not (currently) play football and are most noted for their golf and softball teams.

Also heard that the big push for this is coming from the new president.  He is looking for feathers to put in his hat and taking a D3 to D2 status is just a check on the list of accomplishments he can add. 

Warren Thompson

Quote from: justafan12 on December 05, 2017, 04:40:49 PM
Also heard that the big push for this is coming from the new [UTT] president.  He is looking for feathers to put in his hat and taking a D3 to D2 status is just a check on the list of accomplishments he can add. 

Herewith a mere opinion: going from D3 to D2 might not be the best way to garner feathers for anyone's cap, and it could be a "negative" accomplishment [see the case of McMurry].

Full disclosure: I have doubts about the sanity of an academic CEO who believes that athletic success in itself will make her/his venue a better institution of learning.  :'(

Ralph Turner

I don't believe it has been a well kept secret but UT Tyler is pondering the move from D3 to D2.  I have heard that if done they will announce it in early 2018 and begin playing combined D3 and D2 schedules next year (18-19).  Heard they will join the Heartland conference.  UT Tyler does not (currently) play football and are most noted for their golf and softball teams.

Also heard that the big push for this is coming from the new president.  He is looking for feathers to put in his hat and taking a D3 to D2 status is just a check on the list of accomplishments he can add.
IN 2019, eight members (all but Newman (KS) of the Heartland Conference are moving to the Lone Star Conference, taking the Lone Star Conference from 11 members to 19 members.

UTTyler does not have a stadium on campus and would have to play at the local high school stadium, which is a good facility.

UTT leaving the ASC would level the playing field among the remaining institutions (all being small liberal arts schools except Sul Ross and UT Dallas.  Sul Ross is small and geographically isolated. UT-Dallas is metropolitan suburban, 17,000 total enrollment and  academically on par with some FBS's in the state. In-state tuition is $12,100.)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are always schools considering the move... just not sure if they will or won't.

Most have to get their applications in by early January for a decision to then be made. That is why this time of the year is popular for these kinds of reports, speculation, rumors, etc.

Personally, not many DIIIs have moved on to DII and it done anything more than be a blimp on the radar.

UT-Tyler is not the only one considering this right now. Benedictine (Ill.) has a decision coming from their board of trustees this week.

Ron Boerger

Here's the most recent story (from June July) mentioning the changes being considered:

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/294272/ut-tyler-working-on-new-strategic-plan-changes-to-branding

QuoteOne of the biggest items on the college's list would be a possible move into NCAA Division II athletics competition.

The college is leaning toward using part of the 120 acres purchased in 2016 as home for a potential athletics campus. The move also would free more space for facilities on the main campus facing University Boulevard.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 05, 2017, 09:28:57 PM
There are always schools considering the move... just not sure if they will or won't.

Most have to get their applications in by early January for a decision to then be made. That is why this time of the year is popular for these kinds of reports, speculation, rumors, etc.

Personally, not many DIIIs have moved on to DII and it done anything more than be a blimp on the radar.

UT-Tyler is not the only one considering this right now. Benedictine (Ill.) has a decision coming from their board of trustees this week.

Blimp on the radar lol, that is a new one.

Chestnut Hill has successfully moved from D3 to D2 in the Philly region FWIW.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NEPAFAN on December 06, 2017, 11:01:45 AM

Great. You named one. I can name another Philly area school that has basically disappeared: Lincoln.

I can also name schools like MacMurry who have returned with their tail between their legs. Or Rowan who keeps talking that they are going on to DII (with hopes to move on to DI) and can't the process started.

A lot of schools have left DIII for DII. Not many make headlines. Same can be said in reverse, especially in the modern era.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 06, 2017, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on December 06, 2017, 11:01:45 AM

Great. You named one. I can name another Philly area school that has basically disappeared: Lincoln.

I can also name schools like MacMurry who have returned with their tail between their legs. Or Rowan who keeps talking that they are going on to DII (with hopes to move on to DI) and can't the process started.

A lot of schools have left DIII for DII. Not many make headlines. Same can be said in reverse, especially in the modern era.

I added a name to the discussion that wasn't previously mentioned.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi