BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Bill

"2-year colleges" is too diverse of a group to make an easy comparison with. You've got JUCO's that act as feeders to the top Division I programs (or to the pros, like Bryce Harper) and you also have JUCO's that are little more the fun, recreational teams against a couple local schools.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Babe Truth

I was definitely referring to the more competitive Logan and Madison Colleges of the baseball world.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Babe Truth on February 14, 2013, 01:41:54 PM
OK guys, I respect that.  Are you then maybe saying the level of competition in the WIAC might be a step below the 2-yr college circuit in general?  Otherwise, I'd have to wonder how much a contending WIAC team would desire a .298/.352/.404 with zero SB's in the heart of the order.

That brings up something I've been wondering about for a while, for you longtime league observers: Does a typical transfer from a 2 year program usually perform better, worse, or about the same in the WIAC the following season?

Depends on where the 2 year program is located. I know the SoCal Juco leagues are unreal. There are back up players that often sign to play on D1 rosters. The SoCal and Texas JCs produce D1 and draftable talent year after year. I once signed a pair of backups from that league that went on to be NAIA all-Americans for me and both were drafted and played many years of pro ball. Hard to compare the JCs as a whole. Like D3 leagues, they are all different in terms of what they produce.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Babe Truth

Well, fair enough. But those aren't the guys transferring to the WIAC.  I'd guess 99% are from Wisconsin and the adjoining states.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Babe Truth on February 14, 2013, 02:29:51 PM
Well, fair enough. But those aren't the guys transferring to the WIAC.  I'd guess 99% are from Wisconsin and the adjoining states.

True... Locally, you are likely gleening talent from Mad Tech(WI), Kishwaukee(IL), Trition(IL), CLC(IL), Century(MN), Ridgewater(MN), etc... Iowa schools had a huge run of talent a few years ago as well at Boone, Des Moines, Indian Hills, etc... lots of locally talented programs if you are willing to dig a bit.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

cubs

Quote from: Babe Truth on February 14, 2013, 01:41:54 PM
OK guys, I respect that.  Are you then maybe saying the level of competition in the WIAC might be a step below the 2-yr college circuit in general?  Otherwise, I'd have to wonder how much a contending WIAC team would desire a .298/.352/.404 with zero SB's in the heart of the order.

That brings up something I've been wondering about for a while, for you longtime league observers: Does a typical transfer from a (good <edit>) 2 year program usually perform better, worse, or about the same in the WIAC the following season?
While the other numbers are "fair" to question, the 0 SB's seem really out of place.  If he is hitting 3-4-5, there are a lot fewer opportunities to run.  I would me more concerned with HR/RBI/XBH numbers from the middle of the order.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Babe Truth

Quote from: cubs on February 14, 2013, 11:32:03 PM
While the other numbers are "fair" to question, the 0 SB's seem really out of place.  If he is hitting 3-4-5, there are a lot fewer opportunities to run.  I would me more concerned with HR/RBI/XBH numbers from the middle of the order.

Some truth there about RBI and fewer opportunities to run, but does Point ever have big holes in the lineup or take its foot off the gas?  (And if Braun can get 30 steals in front of Fielder & Ramirez when he's not running from PEDs suspicions . . . ) 
I was just looking for some added Sabermetrics-type value in those stats if walks & singles were turned into doubles by a speedy runner.  At any rate, I really did not want to single a guy out and do hope things work out for him. 

I'm still just wondering about the performance of WIAC transfers in general over the years. Better than at a good 2-yr. program? Worse? Similar?

tomt4525

Point's roster is up

http://athletics.uwsp.edu/roster.aspx?path=baseball&

New players include:

Clint Rose   FR  Watertown, WI   SS/2B
Peter Feldkamp   FR   Wrightstown, WI   C
Luke Watson  SO   Appleton Xavior   RHP     Carthage Transfer
Ben Messenger  FR  Bay Port, WI   LHP
Nick Douglas  SR   East Troy, WI   OF/2B
Bryton Guckenberg   FR   Trego, MT   OF
Brandon Shutt   FR    Spooner, WI   C
Kody McHugh    FR    Mosinee, WI    RHP
Kyle Sternberg   FR   Green Bay Preble, WI    RHP
Harry Steidt    JR    West Bend West, WI     1B/3B     CUW Transfer
David Van Vliet     FR    Lowell, MI    RHP
Alex Tarras       FR     D.C Everest, WI       C
Brandon Kranz     FR     Waukesha West, WI     1B/OF
Ryan Williams    FR    SPASH, WI     RHP

Guys Not Returning

Clay Giese   2B/SS   SPASH
Josh Barnes  SS/2B   SPASH
Brett Ziegel   LHP   Wausau West
Aaron Nelson  3B/RHP   Oregon, WI
Brady Nelson  LHP   Mauston
Aaron Jushka   C/OF   Waukesha West
Kenneth Chiu   RHP   Hong Kong
Matt Freeman   RHP/OF    Green Bay Southwest
Cain Trunkel    RHP    Neillsville, WI

Cam Seidl is injured for the year so he won't be back until next year as well.

Anybody see the new guys play in high school??  What kind of impact do you expect from these guys??  With the accolades that Brett Ziegel and Brady Nelson came in with last year I expected them to be big contributors in the future, I guess I was wrong.

ShineTime

Clay giese is huge loss IMO he had a lot of potential.  Messenger struck out 17 batters at state last year his ball really moves could see him being next reinke thrun or Delorit for point if he works for it. Heard Kranz is a stud and is being compared to arch archambeau
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

Babe Truth

Here's the pre-season poll of coaches and SIDs, with (first place votes):

1. Whitewater  (7)
2. La Crosse  (6)
3. Stevens Point  (1)
4. Oshkosh
5. Superior
6. Stout
7. Platteville

http://www.wiacsports.com/news/2013/3/7/BB_0307132336.aspx

WIAC diehards can see 4 for the price of 1 in the Metrodome Sunday when the UWL vs St. Thomas DH is followed by a pair with UWSP vs Gustavus Adolphus late into the night.

ShineTime

GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

GBMAN

Wisconsin-Whitewater 4 v UST 2 final game 1. Lambert a complete 4 hit game.

ShineTime

St Thomas takes game 2 6 to 4.  Looks like whitewater roughed up Joey toedt a little.  I didn't envision whitewater beating maher but great job for the hawks.  Their confidence has to be high after beating a pitcher of that caliber.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

ShineTime

Lacrosse and st Thomas split today.  Pitchers dual in game 1 with Dylan Thomas out dueling Tim breathe in for 2 to 1 win.  Joel effertz pitched a gem in game 2 striking out 7 in 6 innings to give lacrosse 4 to 1 win.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10