FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Yeah, I grew up outside of Hartford, so I have a soft spot for CT. While CTHSFB isn't as strong as NJ or PA, there are solid programs around the state and Hand is one of them in the South / shoreline. Same deal for Fairfield Prep and Staples. Taft is usually strong in the NE prep leagues year after year too.

Overall, CT HS's are some of the best in the nation, especially for public schools, so I am not surprised with the admissions rates going where they are at Union that he's focused there. Not too far from home either, which is always been an advantage for Union over the Central and Western NY rivals in the LL.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Frank Rossi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 18, 2019, 07:55:10 PM
I enjoyed the IntheD3FBHuddLLe podcast.

As for Louisiana College playing Stetson, I wonder if they just could not find an opponent.

With the restoration of the 10-team ASC football conference (adding associates Southwestern and Texas Lutheran), there are only 2 weekends to find a game, and there are not many options for the Wildcats for a non-conference game.

Former opponent Millsaps is playing cross-town rival Belhaven and Westminster MO, which is likely a more winnable game.

Former opponent Huntingdon is playing in-state rival Birmingham-Southern and Guilford. (Huntingdon probably wanted some variety.)

LaCollege played Wesley in 2014. (No rematch here.)

The recent other non-conference games have been against Alcorn State and several NAIA schools.

Out here on the archipelago, it is tough to find opponents that nearby and of similar mission and vision.

Thanks for the excellent podcast. (I am really looking forward to the Rowan Linfield game.)

Thanks, Ralph.  Always appreciate your viewership and point of view.  I think we're most surprised by Stetson taking on three D3 opponents after the winning season they had in 2018.  The overall scheduling with more crossover games (inter-regional and inter-divisional) is interesting and exciting on one hand, and surprising and odd on the other.  I'm not really sure what to attribute it to beyond the disappearance of a couple teams from conventional scheduling (NJAC facing that).  This is where "a game is a game" for even out-of-region games might have helped this outside-the-box scheduling, since the inter-regional games are "Regional Record" variables, unlike earlier in the decade.

My travel schedule to cover some of these games is filling up quickly for ITH Season 12.  I'm excited to see the East's tests up close and some of the other unusual matchups from afar.

ITH radio

Hobart's FY class comes in at 29.

Pretty even distribution across positions too - 13 D, 15 O, 1 PK

DL - 5 (two guys in this group look like they can contribute right away)
LB - 3 (some players here from major HS programs)
DB - 5 (basically a 2-3 CB, 2 safety mix)
OL - 6 (includes a kid who originally was a UMass commit)
TE - 1 (6'2" 245 lbs kid and Hobart needs a blocking TE)
RB - 2 (interesting potential here)
QB -3 (kids from New England, Texas and FL, quite a mix)
WR - 3 (two really tall kids and one small one)
PK - 1 (not really a need for now unless he's there to punt)

Lots of NJ kids and a couple from VA, FL (both from the Orlando area) and even one from GA, which I think may be a first.

Oline89

Quote from: ITH radio on April 25, 2019, 04:20:34 PM

Lots of NJ kids and a couple from VA, FL (both from the Orlando area) and even one from GA, which I think may be a first.

I like the smaller recruiting class.  Its better for everyone, incoming recruits and established players.  Assuming the Spring roster remains the same, the whole team roster will be 97.  29 Fr, 3 redshirt Fr, 26 Sophs, 26 Jr, 13 Sr. 

Oline89

Did any LL/E8 players (or anyone from the East) get invited to an NFL camp?

RowanPhan

Quote from: ITH radio on April 25, 2019, 04:20:34 PM

Does Hobart publish the recruiting results?
Go Rowan!

ITH radio

Hobart's communication of recruiting results is mostly done via Coach DeWall's twitter handle. I did a summary of the class on my blog - http://gohobart.blogspot.com - that I've used to "cover" the team for about a decade now.

I don't see immediate starters in this class given how many rising SOs, JRs there are, but I could see some of these kids getting into rotations at places like DL, DB and OL. Pierce, the one TE recruit, looks promising too as Hobart likes to use big, blocking TE types in their run game. He could get plugged in early if things go well for him in preseason camp.

ITH radio

Quote from: Oline89 on April 30, 2019, 04:02:14 PM
Did any LL/E8 players (or anyone from the East) get invited to an NFL camp?

I don't think so. Jared Ruth of UMU got a mini camp / tryout invite from the Lions and the Bucs signed a UWW OL to a UDFA deal. Brandon Shed is working on making a CFL roster. Not sure of any others, but will see what we can track down.

RowanPhan

Quote from: ITH radio on May 01, 2019, 09:33:24 AM
Hobart's communication of recruiting results is mostly done via Coach DeWall's twitter handle. I did a summary of the class on my blog - http://gohobart.blogspot.com - that I've used to "cover" the team for about a decade now.

I don't see immediate starters in this class given how many rising SOs, JRs there are, but I could see some of these kids getting into rotations at places like DL, DB and OL. Pierce, the one TE recruit, looks promising too as Hobart likes to use big, blocking TE types in their run game. He could get plugged in early if things go well for him in preseason camp.
Your blog is great! I've always wanted to start something similar to cover Rowan football.

Also, Hobarts social media posts (e.g., commitment announcements) are on another level.

Looking forward to the Hobart v. Rowan match up later this year!
Go Rowan!

ITH radio

Quote from: RowanPhan on May 01, 2019, 02:59:43 PM

Your blog is great! I've alway wanted to start something similar to cover Rowan football.

Also, Hobarts social media posts (e.g., commitment announcements) are on another level.

Thanks I got the idea from a Rowan alum (Tom Wilson) who's Rowan FB blog I contributed to back when Hobart played the Profs in Rd 1 of the 2006 playoffs. I had been posting blog type stuff on these boards way back then and emailing some friends / alums some pre game breakdowns prior to finally finding blogspot in 2009 and 624 posts later, the rest is history.

I'll be in touch in September to get your input on Rowan this fall.

RowanPhan

Quote from: ITH radio on May 01, 2019, 03:57:22 PM
Quote from: RowanPhan on May 01, 2019, 02:59:43 PM

Your blog is great! I've alway wanted to start something similar to cover Rowan football.

Thanks I got the idea from a Rowan alum (Tom Wilson) who’s Rowan FB blog I contributed to back when Hobart played the Profs in Rd 1 of the 2006 playoffs. I had been posting blog type stuff on these boards way back then and emailing some friends / alums some pre game breakdowns prior to finally finding blogspot in 2009 and 624 posts later, the rest is history.

I’ll be in touch in September to get your input on Rowan this fall.
Very interesting indeed. I recall the Rowan fan site, but the link no longer works. Not sure what happened there.

I'm a Rowan grad, but I always admired the hardcore fans of Navy football. My older brother went to the Naval Academy so through him I became huge fan of the Midshipmen. Back in 2003 I would read the posts on the old Scout Navy forum. Eventually that forum was shut down. One of those fans, a mega hardcore fan, Mike James, started the following blog with unbelievable detail and analysis: https://thebirddogblog.com/. He later partnered with Rivals to start TheMidReport where he continues to post about Navy football and hosts a premium forum where a small group of hard core  Navy fans continue to post daily.

I like following Rowan because it's a small college team and to me they feel like an underdog. Also, they have almost no coverage in the area so all my team information I have research which is fun for me.
Go Rowan!

Oline89

Wow, looks like RPI landed one seriously talented Hog from SoCal

https://twitter.com/RPIFootball/status/1123687664761364483

ITH radio

That's a big get for RPI. I used to work across the 101 FWY from OC and they're consistently one of the best HS programs in Los Angeles every year, usually their top players get offers from schools like USC and other major D1 national programs.

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on May 02, 2019, 08:54:07 AM
Wow, looks like RPI landed one seriously talented Hog from SoCal

https://twitter.com/RPIFootball/status/1123687664761364483
Looks like he can hold his blocks! A lineman from Cali , there must be a recruiting story here, congrats to the Engineers.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Oline89

I have been watching Hobart's Lax team competing in the NEC championships, and I developed some questions.  I believe Hobart received some sort of official permission to be D3 in everything, and D1 in Lax.  Aside from JHU, are there any other schools with similar setups?  I believe there are certain requirements to be a D1 football school (seating capacity I think?), but what if a school does not sponsor football?  Are there any requirements?  For instance, High Point University has a Lax team, no football team, what criteria did they have to meet to be a D1 school?   125 days to kickoff.......