WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Thompson

Ronk, please explain your comments.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: saratoga on June 10, 2015, 10:21:59 PM
Warren,
Scranton will get through this mess (self-inflicted), just as LVC got through theirs (self-inflicted),.....kids are resilient.

LVC did have a good year at 21-9, but missed the NCAA tournament for the second time in eight seasons. They have also apparently lost one of their best young talents inside because she was not thrilled with being there and is transfering (I think it's Kaitlyn Van Tash, but I am positive - I know it's an inside presence and I think she was a FR last year).

I would say LVC may struggle here. Scranton... is definitely going to struggle. Shocked they don't have a coach in place, yet. And I would say most times, especially in Division III, the struggle doesn't happen in the first year after... but the second and on. It's the recruiting and the younger players that are more affected than the veterans.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 11, 2015, 11:40:27 AM
Quote from: saratoga on June 10, 2015, 10:21:59 PM
Warren,
Scranton will get through this mess (self-inflicted), just as LVC got through theirs (self-inflicted),.....kids are resilient.

LVC did have a good year at 21-9, but missed the NCAA tournament for the second time in eight seasons. They have also apparently lost one of their best young talents inside because she was not thrilled with being there and is transfering (I think it's Kaitlyn Van Tash, but I am positive - I know it's an inside presence and I think she was a FR last year).

I would say LVC may struggle here. Scranton... is definitely going to struggle. Shocked they don't have a coach in place, yet. And I would say most times, especially in Division III, the struggle doesn't happen in the first year after... but the second and on. It's the recruiting and the younger players that are more affected than the veterans.

There's a good deal of damaging high jingo in Annville these days, athletic and otherwise. 

ronk

Quote from: Warren Thompson on June 11, 2015, 10:26:34 AM
Ronk, please explain your comments.

That the LVC non-rehire would be an excellent choice to become the Scranton hire, IF there wasn't some compelling unknown(to the public) reason for not being rehired, in the 1st place.

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on June 11, 2015, 09:38:21 AM
Coincidentally I just posted a story about the 1985 Royals and Deanna Kyle (now Klingman) as part of our series on women's basketball "triple crown" winners. I spoke with Deanna in early May when she was a candidate for the full-time head coaching position. We didn't talk much about the search but, since it's a topic on this board, I wanted to clarify the timing for our interview.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2015/05/klingman-first-to-elite-feat

Gordon,
   As usual, a very good job on your part. I did see Megan Silva play in the Final Four in 2005, the year before she was POY and national scoring leader; so, maybe you can give her an asterisk for almost making that austere group. Silva was very good, but the MOP should have been Audrey Minott(PG) instead of Joanna Conner.
  Deanna mentioned still using the men's basketball; when did the women start using the smaller ball?

ronk

Toby Lovecchio, Scranton AD, to step down to Associate AD- the release didn't say if in place of/addition to Steve Klingman or what effect it will have on the naming of the WBB HC.

NEPAFAN

He is moving to Asst AD for operations. Can anyone tell me what that means ? I assume this explains the change in admin. that impacted the Klingman hire. Not sure we will ever know the details there.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

bill

Rink

I think the switch to the smaller ball was approved in 1984 and implemented in 1985...but I might be off by one year!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

ronk

Quote from: bill on June 11, 2015, 11:35:59 PM
Rink

I think the switch to the smaller ball was approved in 1984 and implemented in 1985...but I might be off by one year!

Deanna Klingman played in '84-85 and said they still used the larger ball.

gordonmann

I didn't realize the balls were different sizes until she told me. Who knew!

Signed, Tom Brady

gordonmann

Oh, and I agree on Silva. The eight seasons I highlighted were selected according to a somewhat objective, but not perfect, criteria. Lett's season with Illinois Wesleyan was also really good.

ronk

"Recently", 2 D3 bball coaching legends, Yvonne Kauffman(E-town) and Mike Strong(Scranton), retired in the Landmark. E-town and Scranton both chose interim coaches. The interim coaches didn't return after 1 year because of the family business or choosing to coach at a different school. Since then, each school has lost its AD also. E-town named a new interim coach and will defer the HC until the AD is selected.
  Since E-town and Scranton were the most recent additions to the Landmark, they have decided on a Landmark economic strategy by conducting a joint search for the ADs, a 2 for the price of one.  ;) Theoretically, it makes sense for the conference of "like-minded" institutions. If it works out, they'll do the same for the HC positions, also. Goucher could have joined in and made it a 3-for-1, but couldn't wait to name their AD and HCs.

ronk

In today's developments of the Scranton WBB HC saga, the position was opened again with a closing date of mid-July. Since the previous listing earlier in the spring, the interim HC has become a HC on the scholastic level, the fulltime assistant(Sheila Cook) has become the HC of another institution, and the AD is stepping down to the associate AD position.
  In my exchanges with Sheila over the past 1 3/4 years, I've found her to possess every qualification that might be part of the Lady Royal HC position, save experience on that level. That could be offset to some degree by her being the face, eyes, ears, and voice of the program over that time and by her being the previous choice of Mike Strong, albeit for the fulltime assistant position.
  Two weekends from now, the U will be hosting a good AAU tourney(Black Diamond) and this will be the 1st impression of many of the competitors of the school, facilities, and campus and it would be more favorable if there were a coaching staffer onhand. In the absence of that happening, I nominate Saratoga to fill in.

Dan Gambino

Ronk,

How are you? My name is Dan Gambino and I have been reading the message board with respect to the situation with the WBB program at Scranton and I wanted to weigh in on your conversations. I agree that the former LVC coach would be an excellent choice for Scranton. My daughter, Jenna was one of his first captains.  Coach Todd made it very clear to her that academic success and community service were the program's top priorities. He also put LVC on the national map on the court.
Scranton needs an experienced D3 head coach who has had success in NCAAs and can recruit the region. He would be a very good fit there.
I wrote a letter to the editor at the time of his departure.  Here is the link: http://www.ldnews.com/letters/ci_26307616/letters-editor-ex-lvc-womens-hoops-coach-fondly
I have followed the program closely over the years -- there is no hidden reason for him moving on.  In my view, he was navigating around an AD that was hostile to him and his program.  In fact, a very successful field hockey coach resigned from LVC a few years prior due to the work environment.  I believe there was an investigation of the AD at that time as well.
The link to her resignation is here: http://www.ldnews.com/ci_18003265
If Coach Todd has applied, I hope they interview him. He'd be a great hire for them.

ronk

Quote from: Dan Gambino on June 18, 2015, 02:37:47 PM
Ronk,

How are you? My name is Dan Gambino and I have been reading the message board with respect to the situation with the WBB program at Scranton and I wanted to weigh in on your conversations. I agree that the former LVC coach would be an excellent choice for Scranton. My daughter, Jenna was one of his first captains.  Coach Todd made it very clear to her that academic success and community service were the program's top priorities. He also put LVC on the national map on the court.
Scranton needs an experienced D3 head coach who has had success in NCAAs and can recruit the region. He would be a very good fit there.
I wrote a letter to the editor at the time of his departure.  Here is the link: http://www.ldnews.com/letters/ci_26307616/letters-editor-ex-lvc-womens-hoops-coach-fondly
I have followed the program closely over the years -- there is no hidden reason for him moving on.  In my view, he was navigating around an AD that was hostile to him and his program.  In fact, a very successful field hockey coach resigned from LVC a few years prior due to the work environment.  I believe there was an investigation of the AD at that time as well.
The link to her resignation is here: http://www.ldnews.com/ci_18003265
If Coach Todd has applied, I hope they interview him. He'd be a great hire for them.

Dan,
   Thanks for the link to your letter; it makes me feel a lot better-it was hard to believe Todd was let go. I encountered him many times in the last 5 years on the AAU tourney trail; he had signed up to attend a major tourney in April when it was disclosed that he wasn't being rehired. LVC and Scranton played in the Marymount NCAA regional(2011) against different opponents so I had that opportunity to observe his coaching and the play of his team. LVC lost on a last-second basket after a traveling noncall that I discussed with him the next time I saw him. He's currently an assistant coach in the Ivy League.
   Your letter reassures me that he would be an excellent choice as the Lady Royals' HC. I know that when one of his players(from  Scranton, ironically) had a serious family medical issue a couple of years ago, he was very supportive of the player and the issues. Let's hope there's good news soon.