WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on August 11, 2015, 04:14:30 PM
NEPA:

Get your order in now for the new UofS football jerseys.

Don't tease about such matters.

Ronk the U has property in Springbrook Township about 10 minutes from campus. Believe that land has been earmarked for Athletics.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

D-mac:
Any chance there might be a little press about Dave Martin becoming the new AD at Scranton.
I would think that having the former head of both the men's & women's Selection Committee in DIII moving into his current job should be able to garner a sentence or two from the editorial board.
This information may be as equally interesting to the readers as a women's basketball team switching conferences or Marywood looking for yet another coach.
Just a thought.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well... he was the AD at Misericordia last year serving as the women's committee chair and already the men's committee chair. The only difference is he chose to move to Scranton. I'm not sure it's bigger than an AD finding another job since the committee chairmanship story has been covered, especially on Hoopsville, extensively. But we are all aware of the story, so if it makes it on to the front page... Gordon or Pat decided it made sense to do so.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

kate

I'm sorry, but if Groves is not watching, I still miss all you Scranton guys!  You're all keeping me smiling this summer, and if we're lucky enough to make it to DeSales for your opening tourney, I would hope that you would come and say Hi!  Also hope I'd recognize Ronk.  Widener's coach Kintner will have a new baby coach in tow, so it would be a fun reunion.  Del Val's opening tourney is the following weekend at Muhlenberg. 

Pat Coleman

We don't generally write stories about AD hires, although this is certainly a prominent one! Exception is when a coach takes on an AD role, or leaves coaching to take an AD role.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 12, 2015, 10:15:35 PM
We don't generally write stories about AD hires, although this is certainly a prominent one! Exception is when a coach takes on an AD role, or leaves coaching to take an AD role.

Would love to hear why he left Miseri to go to Scranton, but understand that should probably come from the local paper or the U, rather than D3hoops.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

From what I've recently heard, the witching hour is very near.
The coach has been chosen & some members of the Lady Royals were part of the selection committee.
If what I've been told is accurate (and I have no reason to doubt it), the new coach has many years experience as a head coach at the DIII level, will be coming to the UofS from their current position at a nearby university & is very well known to Dave.
Oh, and by the way, his former team once beat the UofS mens team in the Long Center with a 3 point near half court shot at the buzzer about 10 years ago.
Since that game, these two schools have never again played each other.
What I don't know is whether or not this is another "interim' fill or long term.
As they say in Baltimore...Buckle up!

ronk

Always a research puzzle with Saratoga - I couldn't come up with Nate Davis in the Spring version of 'name the next HC'.
At 1st glance of thumbing through the annals of Royals' bball, I come up with 2 possibilities of a 3-pt or fewer homecourt loss in the last 10 years(approximate) - Marywood and DeSales - whom we haven't played since. I did talk with Coach Richter(DeSales) this summer since the Lady Royals are playing in their tipoff tourney, finding out that our opponent is TCNJ in the 1st game. 

kate

Too early for a drum roll?  ;)

gordonmann

QuoteThe new coach has many years experience as a head coach at the DIII level, will be coming to the UofS from their current position at a nearby university & is very well known to Dave..his former team once beat the UofS mens team in the Long Center with a 3 point near half court shot at the buzzer about 10 years ago.

Ooh fun! I like riddles.

I'm guessing its Eric Grundman from Marywood who coached the Pacers mens' team for 12 seasons and has coached women's sports (golf) before. That's nearby and he has ties to Lackawanna Junior College. Dave Martin would know him from their time in the Pennsylvania Athletic Conference together before Misericordia left and the conference became the CSAC.

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on August 24, 2015, 04:14:05 PM
QuoteThe new coach has many years experience as a head coach at the DIII level, will be coming to the UofS from their current position at a nearby university & is very well known to Dave..his former team once beat the UofS mens team in the Long Center with a 3 point near half court shot at the buzzer about 10 years ago.

Ooh fun! I like riddles.

I'm guessing its Eric Grundman from Marywood who coached the Pacers mens' team for 12 seasons and has coached women's sports (golf) before. That's nearby and he has ties to Lackawanna Junior College. Dave Martin would know him from their time in the Pennsylvania Athletic Conference together before Misericordia left and the conference became the CSAC.

Couple of things:
   I note that he had 1 winning season in 12 as men's bball coach @ Marywood; Marywood men's bball HC position is currently open.

gordonmann

Yeah, Grundman wasn't the coach there last year. The head coach was Bob Simmons who moved west to be the head coach at Allegheny. So that's the reason for that vacancy.

If I guess right, then Dean Corwin has to send me a free Scranton basketball t-shirt. :)

saratoga

Gordon:
Up the stakes....hold out for one of the first issued football jersey's.

NEPAFAN

Martin has been the AD for 10 hours and no announcement. what gives?  ;D
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

HA! I've been resisting the urge to call him and ask why the delay. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.