FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

voice

Quote from: Craft_Beermeister on May 08, 2013, 10:44:05 AM
It is official now.  Larry Kehres retires and hands off the program to Vince.

In 27 seasons, Larry has won 23 Ohio Athletic Conference Championships (1986, 1990, 1992-2012) while posting 21 undefeated regular seasons (1986, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1995-2004, 2006-2012) and claiming 11 NCAA Division III National Championships (1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012).

Great job Larry.

In the wake of today's news of Coach Kehres' retirement brought these thoughts from a UW-Whitewater fan. I had the privilege interacting with Larry as part of the nine games between Whitewater and Mount Union (including seven D3 Title Games). I have been very fortunate in my 35 years of broadcasting football to meet many of the elite coaches in the country.  Larry Kehres is unequivocally at the top of the list.  In my mind, Larry's impact on college football is greater than John Wooden's impact was on college basketball.  Thank you Larry for the many great memories you have given to a "true blue" UW-Whitewater fan. 

The UMU program under Vince Kehres will continue to flourish!

02 Warhawk

Any reason given?? Or was it just his time?

I'm not close to the UMU program, but is this as shocking as I think it is?

PimpInTheChat

Cant begin to express the admiration and respect I have for Coach Kehres. He has spent a lifetime turning boys into men. Turning average players into good players and good players into great players. I feel blessed to have been one of the many who has passed through the doors at Mount with him at the Helm. Good luck to VK as he continues the Tradition.

ADAWGISADAWG4LIFE

Biggest news I can recall hearing since Ive been associated with Division III football. A living legend steps down overall record of 332-24, 5 of those losses were in the national title game. 21 of 27 seasons regular seasons he went undefeated and ended his career with his last regular season loss coming in 2005. I feel pretty confident saying the game will never see another coach that will be as successful as Kehres.
You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

Shark

I was told during last season's playoff run that this would be LK's last Stagg bowl and that he was going to step down. I really had my doubts this would actually happen especially with Burke only being a sophomore and UMU winning the title. The timing is a little strange but certainly cements Vince taking over and should provide a seamless transition.

Thanks Larry for the most incredible run in college football history! I have a lifetime of great memories. Vince has paid his dues and been quite successful and I fully expect little to no drop off in Mount's program. Best wishes to Vince. He should do a fine job.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

PurpleSuit

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 08, 2013, 11:08:26 AM

been rumors of this every offseason for a while now, but I am shocked at the timing of it.  LK is definitely leaving the cupboard full for VK.  I look forward to LK focusing on the AD job now and the rest of the Purple Raider sports continuing to get better and better.  The football program will be just fine with VK at the helm

BrowardRaider

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 08, 2013, 11:08:26 AM

Pretty shocking from my seat Warhawk, although I never really expected Coach Kehres to be the farewell tour type. Anxious to read more from well placed board posters who always seem to know the between the lines stories...

02 Warhawk

Quote from: HScoach on March 26, 2013, 06:52:00 AM
Mount's advantage is Larry Kehres.   Nothing more, nothing less.    When he retires Mount will become Augustana.

I guess we'll find out sooner than later.

wabashcpa

24 losses in 27 seasons - untouchable.  Congratulations to Coach Kehres on a stellar career.

pradierguy

Sad news about LK retiring. I am glad he is going out on top, but will be very interesting to see if Vince and Mount can continue their success.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: pradierguy on May 08, 2013, 12:05:37 PM
Sad news about LK retiring. I am glad he is going out on top, but will be very interesting to see if Vince and Mount can continue their success.

I would think this was no accident in so far as the talent. LK did what any father would do, set his kid up to succeed. VK inherits a team with playmakers at RB and, most importantly, QB for the next 2 yrs.  Additionally the class that is going to be sophs in the fall is supposedly loaded. We already saw Kocheff, Spencer and Lally who appear to be emerging stars in that class.  So as suit said the cupboard is full.  The question will be has there been any drop off 3 yrs from now? 5 yrs from now?   

runyr

Quote from: wabashcpa on May 08, 2013, 11:57:50 AM
24 losses in 27 seasons - untouchable.  Congratulations to Coach Kehres on a stellar career.

Hard to imagine any coach better than Larry Kehres and Mount Union program he led to 11 National Championships.

Only 24 losses in 27 seasons playing an average 13.3 games a season!  If you didn't know about Larry Kehres, you wouldn't believe it possible.

Wow, thanks for the memories, coach Kehres!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."  Confucius

Desertraider

Wow. The only thing that would have made this "good" news is if he had announced he was taking over the HC job at The United States Military Academy. However, he went out the way anyone would want to - on top and on his own terms. Congrats on a GREAT career and here's to VK - Roll Raiders!

You can't spell "VicKtory" without VK!!
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Raider 68

Coach Kehres set a new standard for achievement in sports. He established a great program
at Mount Union, guided student athletes to levels beyond their expectations. He will be missed
each fall Saturday. Thank you Coach Kehres for all the years of enjoyment! :)

Congrats to Coach V. Kehres on his great opportunity. He will no doubt continue the fine
tradition at Mount Union.
13 time Division III National Champions

Raider 68

For those posters who are surprised by Coach Kehres, this did not come as a shock for me. The timing was right, winning #11 just confirmed it was time. That said, there were other University factors over the past few years that accelerated Coach Kehres's timetable.
13 time Division III National Champions