WBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by David Collinge, November 23, 2004, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

In the past several years, our champion has been fed a steady diet of top 5 teams in the first round--primarily Hope and DePauw, with Illinois Wesleyan getting the honor last season.  But Denison did beat Hope in 2007 when the Dutch were #5 and the defending national champ.  In the second round, they gave DePauw a good game at home, and DPU went on to the title. 

To get a more favorable draw this season, we'll probably need DU to run the table and win the conference tournament. 

David Collinge

No time for big recaps tonight, sorry.

Kenyon 68, Allegheny 56 -- Gators led by 4 at the break but were outshot 53% to 31% in the second period.

Oberlin 71, Wooster 41 -- A 17-4 run to open the second half ended this game.  OC outshot COW 50% to 25% for the game; in fact, Oberlin's second half output (42 points) beat Wooster's entire game.

Wittenberg 71, Hiram 64 -- Wire to wire for the Tigers, but still a close game for most of the contest.  Balance:  Witt has five between 9 and 15 points, Hiram has five between 8 and 11.  Three Tigers missed double-doubles by one rebound apiece (Hueter 15, Watson 14, Replogle 13).

Denison 76, OWU 64 -- OWU leads 34-32 at the half.  DU has a jaw-dropping 10 turnovers.  UPDATE: DU on an 18-6 run to start the half, leads 50-40, 11:xx left.  Since halftime, DU has one TO, OWU has 8.  UPDATE:  OWU couldn't get any closer than 7 after that, and Denison, with the key road win, moves into sole possession of the conference lead.  Nicole Coggins led all scorers with 17, while Serafina Nuzzo had 11 of Denison's 22 assists (on 31 buckets.)  The Franchise were all in double figures (Gordon 15, Cordell 15, Quigney 12) for OWU.  In fact, each team had four players in double figures; the difference in the game is that the rest of the players contributed 24 points for the Big Red vs. just 12 for the Bishops.  DU also cleaned up on the glass, 41-27, including 9 from Shaina Kaiser (to complement her 12 points and four assists.)

Updated standings:
Denison 3-0
Kenyon 2-1
Ohio Wesleyan 2-1
Wittenberg 2-1
Allegheny 1-2
Hiram 1-2
Oberlin 1-2
Wooster 0-3

David Collinge

The new top 25 poll is out, and Denison moves up to #21!  ;D

David Collinge

Back in action Wednesday!

Allegheny at Hiram, 6pm -- live stats -- game 1 of a W/M doubleheader
Wooster at Kenyon, 6pm -- audio/video and live stats -- Wittenberg/Kenyon men's game follows immediately
Denison at Oberlin, 7:30pm -- video and live stats
Ohio Wesleyan at Wittenberg, 7:30pm -- audio and live stats

kiltedbryan

Quote from: David Collinge on January 11, 2011, 12:18:29 AM

Good for them!

I see that the Saturday match-up is a M/W doubleheader with Wooster.  I think the schools might both go .500 on the day...

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: kiltedbryan on January 12, 2011, 12:34:42 AM
Quote from: David Collinge on January 11, 2011, 12:18:29 AM

Good for them!

I see that the Saturday match-up is a M/W doubleheader with Wooster.  I think the schools might both go .500 on the day...

Highly likely. ;)

That brings to mind a possible discussion topic: while men's and women's teams certainly do not necessarily track in tandem, can anyone recall a greater contrast that Wooster's undefeated, #1 ranked men's team and their 2-11 women's team?

Since athletic departments tend to rise or fall somewhat together, I've wracked my brain and cannot think of a more extreme difference at any level or in any sport (though I suspect there must be some I'm forgetting or unaware of).

Mr. Ypsi

Well I quickly found two similar (though probably not quite as extreme) examples from my own IWU.  In the mid-80s, women's bball was not yet a conference sport, and the men were a conference, but not a national, power.  In 1983-84, the men were 17-11, but won the CCIW with a 14-2 record; the women were 0-20 (ouch! :P).  In 1985-86, the men were 19-10, again winning the CCIW at 14-2; the women were 2-18.

Of course, the last 3-4 years the Titan women could look down their noses at the Titan men! :D

GoRed

Quote from: kiltedbryan on January 12, 2011, 12:34:42 AM

That brings to mind a possible discussion topic: while men's and women's teams certainly do not necessarily track in tandem, can anyone recall a greater contrast that Wooster's undefeated, #1 ranked men's team and their 2-11 women's team?

Since athletic departments tend to rise or fall somewhat together, I've wracked my brain and cannot think of a more extreme difference at any level or in any sport (though I suspect there must be some I'm forgetting or unaware of).

Great topic, kb.  I have one that's close.  How about the 1996-97 Sara Lee-led DU women at 1-23 and the DU men that year at 19-7?

As far as the departments moving in tandem, though, the men haven't quite moved with the women.  If my comparisons are correct, the W/L records have been the inverse every year since then but one, 2004-05, when both men and women last had winning seasons together. 

The women are off to another outstanding year.  I see a .500 Saturday as well!

GoRed

QuoteGreat topic, kb.

Sorry about that, Mr. Y!

David Collinge

Allegheny 78, Hiram 64 -- Visiting Gators outshot (43%-33%) and outrebounded (54-37) their hosts, and put five players in double figures, led by Daryl Ford's 16 point, 11 rebound evening.

Kenyon 85, Wooster 40 -- Wooster made all of three baskets in the second half, ending the game with more than twice as many turnovers (25) as hoops (12.)  Kenyon hit 48% from the field, outrebounded their guests 47-25, and had more steals (13) than turnovers (12.)

Denison 65, Oberlin 35 -- Battle of the POTY candidates: Kaiser 16 pts. 9 reb. 4 ast.; Anderson DNP.

OWU 65, Wittenberg 53 -- OWU led by 14 with 3:10 left when Witt scored 8 straight to put a scare into their guests.  Undaunted, OWU calmly scored the game's next, and last, six points, to keep pace with Kenyon in second place.

Updated standings:
Denison 4-0
Kenyon 3-1
Ohio Wesleyan 3-1
Wittenberg 2-2
Allegheny 2-2
Hiram 1-3
Oberlin 1-3
Wooster 0-4

kiltedbryan

Addendum to previous claims that Wooster/Denison will split 50/50 on Saturday:

I'll give the Big Red better than 50/50 odds of ending up with a larger overall point total.  It seems that the difference between DU's women and Wooster's women might be an order of magnitude larger than the difference between DU's men and Wooster's men...

David Collinge

Quote from: kiltedbryan on January 12, 2011, 10:08:14 PM

I'll give the Big Red better than 50/50 odds of ending up with a larger overall point total.  It seems that the difference between DU's women and Wooster's women might be an order of magnitude larger than the difference between DU's men and Wooster's men...
Denison has a very long roster.  Shaina Kaiser, Serafina Nuzzo, and co. may be selling popcorn in the lobby during the second half on Saturday.  DU can probably name their own score, but I wouldn't be surprised if that score is in the +30 range and not 107-32.

It still might be enough to outdo the Wooster men.  (Typed with fresh memories of the 2OT game of Feb. 2009.)

kiltedbryan

Quote from: David Collinge on January 12, 2011, 10:17:26 PM

Denison has a very long roster.  Shaina Kaiser, Serafina Nuzzo, and co. may be selling popcorn in the lobby during the second half on Saturday.  DU can probably name their own score, but I wouldn't be surprised if that score is in the +30 range and not 107-32.

It still might be enough to outdo the Wooster men.  (Typed with fresh memories of the 2OT game of Feb. 2009.)

Yeah, selling popcorn in the lobby is more or less what the Scots men were able to do tonight with the Yeomen.  And that did serve to keep the margin more in the 30ish range when they clearly could've pushed it out farther.

Still, I too don't see the Wooster men as 30+ point favorites on Denison's home court.  So overall point advantage favors Denison.  Maybe they should work out an arrangement to have the DU women lend some over.   ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Another contender for the gender-disparity discussion.  Millikin's women (2005 national champions, and on the fringes of the Top 25 this year) are 10-4; the men are arguably the worst CCIW team in the last half century, now 1-12 and basically getting blown out by everyone - including being held to 29 points by Adrian.

GoRed

Maybe they should work out an arrangement to have the DU women lend some over.   ;)

Instead of points, give us one of your bench guys over 6'6" for the whole game.