RFMichigan

Quote from: NACfan215 on July 10, 2013, 11:56:04 AM
Lakeland:

11/15: Calvin
11/22: @Alma
11/26: @UW Oshkosh
12/16: @Maranatha
12/31: @Finlandia

Tough season opener against a good Calvin team. Challenging road game against an up and coming Oshkosh team.

So Lakeland's going to ring in the new year in Hancock, Michigan. I hope they bring all their woolen gear and provisions for a few days. That and maybe a dogsled and team to take them home when the bus gets snowbound.  ;)

bballforever

Calvin will be down this year, so you might have a chance.

NACfan215

Well its officially the first day of practices. Suppose its about time to get some chatter going for the upcoming season...anyone care to give a preseason prediction?

Captain_Joe08

Haven't got a full grasp on who is returning for anyone.

I think it will be:

1. Wisconsin Lutheran: They reload (graduation of Dillion will hurt them) but can anyone reel them back to the pack?
2. Concordia Wisconsin: CUW is never an easy out even for the Warriors.
3. Benedictine: They return everybody from their lineup last season.

After that it's anyone's guess to be honest.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

NACfan215

I think it should be required that all teams have updated rosters online by the first official day of practice.  Lol

WLCALUM83

Just Bill

Quote from: NACfan215 on October 16, 2013, 11:37:21 AM
I think it should be required that all teams have updated rosters online by the first official day of practice.  Lol

That'd be nice (and I know you're tongue in cheek), but I know for most teams the first few days are still a tryout period for a lot of players. It'd be kind of cruel to post a kid's name on the website and then cut them two days later.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

NACfan215

Makes sense Bill. I understand the reasoning behind it, just unfortunate we can't have roster with less than a month before the first game. Be nice to see what kind of turnover/upgrades have happened over the summer.

With that said, anyone have any inside info into any possible impact transfer this year?  I know last year we had Kuehl, Genke and Gorman who all made impacts to their teams.

NACfan215

I'll give a shot at a preseason ranking, mainly based on last year's results and departing/returning players.  I'll try and do updated rankings throughout the year (but forgive me if life gets in the way).

WLC- On top until someone knocks them off (although this year more likely than the last two), solid returners in the front court, can the backcourt replace 3 departing seniors in the backcourt?  They have the experience to fill in the starters but then where is the depth?  POY Candidate:  Schultz

Benedictine- Returns the entire starting lineup and more from a team that went 11-6 in conference last year with a young and inexperienced lineup.  This year they will go from young and talented, to talented and experienced.  Probably the deepest team in the league this year (last year only 3 players played an avg of 20 mins/game or more and 10 players avg between 5-20 mins/game).

CUW- Lost a lot of veteran experience in the backcourt, where will the replacements come from?  Not a lot of depth last year, will have to rely on a lot of younger players.  Frontcourt is where the strength will be will two returning starters.  POY Candidate: Luethe

Alverno- Top 5 scorers return from a team that surprised last year finishing 3rd in the North going 13-5.  However those 5 are the only returning players on the roster with zero frosh/soph on last year's roster; will they be able to bring in enough players to fill the bench and provide quality minutes?  If not look for this team to get gassed out most games.  POY candidate: Gorman

Lakeland- Loss of first team all-conference Mayo will hurt the production, can they get better player from their guards and bench?  They will need some players from last year's freshman group to step up with some more production to offset the losses.  POY candidate: Eisner

CUC- Not a lot of losses to this roster that won 10 conference games last year.  Return of Genke is key to this team, if they can find a couple more roll players to piece in around her they could see a big jump this year.  Until then they need to be more consistent.  POY Candidate: Genke

Edgewood- They lose their best player from a team that struggled to stay consistent last year.  There is good depth on this team and if they can find a couple people to replace that production they should easily grab a playoff spots.

Rockford- Went with the JUCO route last year and seemed to help with their depth enough to pick up a couple extra wins and sneak into the playoffs.  The loss of top player Lawler will hurt but everyone else returns. Sometimes it takes a year for JUCO players to transition but if they can continue to improve upon last year they might be able to gain a couple more wins, look for them to slide into the 8th playoff spot.

Marian- Return the entire roster from last year, but that might not be saying much, lack of size on the inside hurt them last year and will continue to hurt them this year unless they brought in some player with size who can play immediately.  If relying on the 3 again this year they might upset a team or two when they get hot, but expect them to struggle as most teams look to shut them down from the perimeter.

MSOE- Another team that returns all their production from last year, but again not saying much for a team that finished at the bottom of the pack.  More depth is needed on this team, they have a solid core of starters, but need players around them to be able to compete for 40 minutes.  Dark horse POY Candidate: Kroll

Aurora- Maybe a new coach will bring new energy to a team that was very young last year, top 2 scorers were freshman.  If the young players can build on their experience from last year they might be able to pick up a couple more wins, however I don't see much there to compete with the top dogs. Note, Freshman Marlow was second team in scoring and made All-Freshman team last year is not on roster currently?

Dominican- This team loses a lot of production and experience from a team that only won 1 conference game with 5 seniors graduating.  There are few bright spots among the returning players, but not enough there to show major improvement, probably another year at the bottom.

Overall observation: I believe any of the top 5 teams could end up on top at the end of the year; there is not as much Star power across the board as there has been the last few years.  Look for the standings to much more even this year than the top heavy results we have had in the past. 

Feel free to comment/criticize any comments I have above, just like last year the final standings will probably look nothing like my predictions haha.  But hey, I never said I was perfect. Lol

WLCALUM83

My 4 cents:

Edgewood:  Loses starters Tobin, Walker and reserve Dixon to graduation-- psychological X-factor (if they get off to a good enough start in conference)-- this squad will definitely want to return to the NACC playoffs after seeinng Lakeland sneak in over them last year;

MSOE:  (I risk overly speculating here)  Noticed the '13-14 roster appeared larger--but again- as Just Bill noted earlier-- how much--if any-- does that roster shrink?

Marian:  Another way talls could help-- possibly give Huray more of an opportunity for play-making (she went off for 27 pts vs. Edgewood last year)

WLC:  Schultz statistically is the top returning shot-blocker from last season in the NACC. (One interesting Maranatha-related left-over-- last year prior to leaving the conference, the Crusaders had 3 players in the top 10 in blocked shots)-who'll also show that kind of D intensity this season?  :-X :-X :-\ :-\

I agree with NACfan215's analysis.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on October 19, 2013, 06:58:03 AM
My 4 cents:

Edgewood:  Loses starters Tobin, Walker and reserve Dixon to graduation-- psychological X-factor (if they get off to a good enough start in conference)-- this squad will definitely want to return to the NACC playoffs after seeinng Lakeland sneak in over them last year;

MSOE:  (I risk overly speculating here)  Noticed the '13-14 roster appeared larger--but again- as Just Bill noted earlier-- how much--if any-- does that roster shrink?

Marian:  Another way talls could help-- possibly give Huray more of an opportunity for play-making (she went off for 27 pts vs. Edgewood last year)

WLC:  Schultz statistically is the top returning shot-blocker from last season in the NACC. (One interesting Maranatha-related left-over-- last year prior to leaving the conference, the Crusaders had 3 players in the top 10 in blocked shots)-who'll also show that kind of D intensity this season?  :-X :-X :-\ :-\

I agree with NACfan215's analysis.

I concur as well. Speaking of intensity on the court. I think the biggest loss for WLC is Dillion. She carried intense passion for the game on the court all four years (though sometimes it would get the best of her in certain situations). Never have seen a player as intense as here.

NACfan215

Noticed WLC has an updated roster posted now.  Big thing of note is only 3 total frosh/sophs on the roster (1 soph/2 frosh).  This seems to be cause for concern going into the next couple seasons for a Warriors team that has had a good run at the top????

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: NACfan215 on October 23, 2013, 10:32:43 AM
Noticed WLC has an updated roster posted now.  Big thing of note is only 3 total frosh/sophs on the roster (1 soph/2 frosh).  This seems to be cause for concern going into the next couple seasons for a Warriors team that has had a good run at the top????

WLC has been picked to win the conference again by the Preseason Poll.

1. Wisconsin Lutheran 281 (18)
2. Concordia Wisconsin 264 (6)
3. Benedictine 226
4. Lakeland 190
5. Alverno 186
6. Edgewood 174
7. Concordia Chicago 169
8. Marian 104
9. Rockford 97
10. Aurora 74
11. MSOE 62
12. Dominican 45

Captain_Joe08

Wisconsin Lutheran will be playing an exhibition game against Milwaukee (or UWM as I still call it) on Sunday. Milwaukee went 9-20 overall and 5-11 in the Horizon league last year.

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Captain_Joe08 on October 28, 2013, 05:25:34 PM
Wisconsin Lutheran will be playing an exhibition game against Milwaukee (or UWM as I still call it) on Sunday. Milwaukee went 9-20 overall and 5-11 in the Horizon league last year.

The school still is UWM. The athletic teams though go by Milwaukee. It's like Virginia Tech. The athletic teams go by Virginia Tech. The school is actually Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.