FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Frank Rossi on April 08, 2015, 07:57:33 PM
In addition, if the LL teams end up in Pool A by either the LL or absorption in other conferences, there is a risk that no Pool B bid would exist if there aren't 7 independent teams (perhaps 8) when the fallout stops.  In other words, any conference that doesn't get absorbed risks only vying for a Pool C bid.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the LL and NEFC choose to keep 5 teams each (with New England College going to the ECFC). How many pool B teams would you have nationally?  With Wesley gone, could that mean the LL might even have a greater chance of getting 2 bids for the conference?

jknezek

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on April 08, 2015, 08:13:53 PM
Quote from: Frank Rossi on April 08, 2015, 07:57:33 PM
In addition, if the LL teams end up in Pool A by either the LL or absorption in other conferences, there is a risk that no Pool B bid would exist if there aren't 7 independent teams (perhaps 8) when the fallout stops.  In other words, any conference that doesn't get absorbed risks only vying for a Pool C bid.

For the sake of discussion, let's say the LL and NEFC choose to keep 5 teams each (with New England College going to the ECFC). How many pool B teams would you have nationally?  With Wesley gone, could that mean the LL might even have a greater chance of getting 2 bids for the conference?

Still have the SCAC teams in TX

jhughes98

I am sure the Liberty League brass is working feverishly to get at least 7 teams to maintain AQ.  Not sure if Ithaca and Alfred are locks.  They would have to become full time members in every sport.  The LL already has 11 full time members the presidents would have to approve expansion to 13 full time members.  Much easier to get presidents to approve affiliate members for football only.  I am sure they will try to look at football only conferences (ECFC). The NEFC will just become the Commonwealth Coast Conference with UNE adding football and Gordon College also rumored to be adding football.  That would give the CCC 7 teams. 

jackson5

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on April 08, 2015, 07:52:18 PM
Quote from: jackson5 on April 08, 2015, 07:30:09 PM
Quote from: Frank Rossi on April 08, 2015, 04:36:18 PM
Quote from: jackson5 on April 08, 2015, 03:57:07 PM
I don't think any NEFC school would move to the LL on their own. If the two leagues merged into a 10 team league I could see them moving. Not saying that the LL would want that though. But the NEFC is down to 5 members who are all in the CCC together. A 6th CCC team UNE is adding football soon to. I think its more likely they stick together and pick up a former CCC member like Anna Maria than one school coming over especially just for one sport. If the Liberty League is looking at adding a school for all sports then that might change this.

Here's the possible scenario that could work:

NEFC (5 --> 7) -

Loses WNEU
Gains UNE, Mass-Maritime, One ECFC team

MASCAC (8 --> 7) -

Loses Mass-Maritime

LL (5 --> 7) -

Gains Ithaca, WNEU

E8 (9 --> 7) -

Loses Ithaca, Hartwick

ECFC (7 --> 7) -

Loses a team to the NEFC
Gains Hartwick

That's how AQ hell could become a reality by these conferences all trying to survive in this move.

I don't think any of the CCC teams would leave the rest of the group for football. And I don't think WNEU would want to spend the budget to have multiple overnight road trips a year for football. With Maine Maritime leaving they are back to having everyone be within a 2.5 hour drive. Having to go out to Rochester or St lawrence every year would cause issues for their budget, and Hobart is pushing the limits for distance you can travel the day of a game.

Plus with AQ's being the only way to the tournament now a days I don't think that they'd leave having to only beat Endicott and Salve to having to take on Hobart and possibly Ithaca.

Jackson, under the new alignment, the NEFC and WNEU would be losing their AQ.  It's going to force their hand (along with the LL) to find some sort of temporary solution.  If they did go to the LL, they would have 2 day trips still (Union and RPI) and possibly Rochester.  That would leave 4 teams (if Ithaca or Alfred joined) as overnight trips.  That would possibly mean 2 overnight trips a year which I assume isn't out of the ballpark for that school.

EDIT: Rochester is farther than I thought, that's an overnight trip for them.

I think the conference would push to adding Anna Maria or Becker to get a 7th team. And if one school left I don't think it'd go over well with the other schools. The presidents want to have members in for all sports, if one leaves, and it costs the rest of the league an AQ it wouldn't go over well in the other sports.

For the person who said Gordon adding a team, this is the first I've heard of that. I wouldn't be shocked but i would be surprised if they added football.

I don't know WNE's budget, but I know most NEFC teams would have issues paying for multiple overnight trips a year.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jackson5 on April 08, 2015, 10:04:11 PM
I don't think any NEFC school would move to the LL on their own. If the two leagues merged into a 10 team league I could see them moving. Not saying that the LL would want that though. But the NEFC is down to 5 members who are all in the CCC together. A 6th CCC team UNE is adding football soon to. I think its more likely they stick together and pick up a former CCC member like Anna Maria than one school coming over especially just for one sport. If the Liberty League is looking at adding a school for all sports then that might change this.

NEFC (5 --> 7) -

Loses WNEU

MASCAC (8 --> 7) -

Loses Mass-Maritime

LL (5 --> 7) -

Gains Ithaca, WNEU

E8 (9 --> 7) -

Loses Ithaca, Hartwick

ECFC (7 --> 7) -

Loses a team to the NEFC
Gains Hartwick

That's how AQ hell could become a reality by these conferences all trying to survive in this move.

I don't think any of the CCC teams would leave the rest of the group for football. And I don't think WNEU would want to spend the budget to have multiple overnight road trips a year for football. With Maine Maritime leaving they are back to having everyone be within a 2.5 hour drive. Having to go out to Rochester or St lawrence every year would cause issues for their budget, and Hobart is pushing the limits for distance you can travel the day of a game.

Plus with AQ's being the only way to the tournament now a days I don't think that they'd leave having to only beat Endicott and Salve to having to take on Hobart and possibly Ithaca.

Jackson, under the new alignment, the NEFC and WNEU would be losing their AQ.  It's going to force their hand (along with the LL) to find some sort of temporary solution.  If they did go to the LL, they would have 2 day trips still (Union and RPI) and possibly Rochester.  That would leave 4 teams (if Ithaca or Alfred joined) as overnight trips.  That would possibly mean 2 overnight trips a year which I assume isn't out of the ballpark for that school.

I think the conference would push to adding Anna Maria or Becker to get a 7th team. And if one school left I don't think it'd go over well with the other schools. The presidents want to have members in for all sports, if one leaves, and it costs the rest of the league an AQ it wouldn't go over well in the other sports.

For the person who said Gordon adding a team, this is the first I've heard of that. I wouldn't be shocked but i would be surprised if they added football.

I don't know WNE's budget, but I know most NEFC teams would have issues paying for multiple overnight trips a year.

Mass Maritime is a full member of the MASCAC. They won't leave just for football.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

NEFC (5 --> 7) -

Loses WNEU

MASCAC (8 --> 7) -

Loses Mass-Maritime

LL (5 --> 7) -

Gains Ithaca, WNEU

E8 (9 --> 7) -

Loses Ithaca, Hartwick

ECFC (7 --> 7) -

Loses a team to the NEFC
Gains Hartwick

Well from my limited personal knowledge from talking to some coaches around these d3 New England Leagues, the NEWMAC seems to be the premier d3 league, followed by the CCC, then maybe the LEC, and then the GNAC and NAC (The MASCAC seems to be bound by some sort of state school agreement that I can't really speculate on).  Some of these are kind of hybrid leagues, especially for football, so it is tough to get a full read on all of them.  A friend of mine works at WNEU, and he told me that the school wanted to get into the CCC as it was thought of as a step up from the GNAC and NAC, the conference they were in before.

Anna Maria and Becker might like just where they are, as they have more of a chance to make the playoffs than be a doormat in a league with Endicott, Curry, Salve and WNEU.  If the CCC gave them full membership they might reconsider though.

In terms of the other teams/schools caring or not, it might not matter in football because the ECFC schools are in different conferences in other sports anyway (2 in GNAC, 2 in NAC, 1 in NECC, Galludet and Suny Maritime).

All speculation on my end of course, but it will be interesting.

jackson5

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on April 08, 2015, 11:50:18 PM

NEFC (5 --> 7) -

Loses WNEU

MASCAC (8 --> 7) -

Loses Mass-Maritime

LL (5 --> 7) -

Gains Ithaca, WNEU

E8 (9 --> 7) -

Loses Ithaca, Hartwick

ECFC (7 --> 7) -

Loses a team to the NEFC
Gains Hartwick

Well from my limited personal knowledge from talking to some coaches around these d3 New England Leagues, the NEWMAC seems to be the premier d3 league, followed by the CCC, then maybe the LEC, and then the GNAC and NAC (The MASCAC seems to be bound by some sort of state school agreement that I can't really speculate on).  Some of these are kind of hybrid leagues, especially for football, so it is tough to get a full read on all of them.  A friend of mine works at WNEU, and he told me that the school wanted to get into the CCC as it was thought of as a step up from the GNAC and NAC, the conference they were in before.

Anna Maria and Becker might like just where they are, as they have more of a chance to make the playoffs than be a doormat in a league with Endicott, Curry, Salve and WNEU.  If the CCC gave them full membership they might reconsider though.

In terms of the other teams/schools caring or not, it might not matter in football because the ECFC schools are in different conferences in other sports anyway (2 in GNAC, 2 in NAC, 1 in NECC, Galludet and Suny Maritime).

All speculation on my end of course, but it will be interesting.

My assumption would be that they would add Becker or Anna Maria in all sports. Like I said it's much easier for them to add a school then it'll be for one school to leave the conference just for football. I'd imagine that if WNE left for football, the rest of the conference would try to push them out for all sports.

ADL70

Could Rochester lure fellow UAA mates CWRU and CMU to LL?

PAC doesn't need them for AQ and in fact they make PAC football an unwieldy 11 teams.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

jackson5

Has West conn been tossed around yet? They were NJAC until recently. Or would Liberty league not want public schools?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jackson5 on April 13, 2015, 09:00:28 PM
Has West conn been tossed around yet? They were NJAC until recently. Or would Liberty league not want public schools?

Pretty sure they won't take a state school, no.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 13, 2015, 09:18:21 PM

I think Salve Regina would be a great fit!

jackson5

Quote from: bman on April 15, 2015, 10:36:26 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 13, 2015, 09:18:21 PM

I think Salve Regina would be a great fit!

They don't have the budget. Best fit would be Endicott or WNE. WNE for location and Endicott for capacity to grow. I still stand by unless the LL invites for all sports, I don't think they get a NEFC team.

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jmcozenlaw

bman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on April 27, 2015, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on April 26, 2015, 10:32:43 PM
My guess is 3rd rd, Cleveland Browns

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=7eca9S7Bk3U

The Eagles are pretty high on him as well :)

That makes alot of sense given that Chip values mobile athletic lineman.  Could be worth a mid round flyer, if we don't trade away all of our picks for Mariotta!  ::)