MBB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by N, March 01, 2005, 04:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFMichigan

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on April 05, 2019, 08:40:56 PM
Quote from: RFMichigan on April 05, 2019, 04:41:00 PM

I remember not having an idea where this nickname came from until we played in IC's gym and they had a huge picture of a Civil War soldier on the wall. (Along with a sign which said that Illinois College was the oldest college in the state of Illinois. :o)

I've got a question regarding IC and MacMurray being in the same conference. Is/can a school get admitted into a conference by the simple majority of conference presidents or can one school veto another one from getting in? It seems as though Illinois College is an awfully long way from most other schools in the Midwest Conference, but besides the SLIAC, where would they go? The NACC? (I'm fascinated by how and why schools end up in the conferences that they are.)

It depends on the conference rules on how many votes you need to add a ew member. However, most will say that the new school was unanimously voted in, even if there was one or two holdouts. It looks better for the conference to say the move was unanimous.

There is a kind of sick irony if Illinois College were to join the NACC after St. Norbert left the MWC citing travel concerns as one of the reasons and they are forced back into their longest conference road trip they had in the MWC in their new conference.
I'm sorry if it sounded as though I was suggesting that IC would be looking for a new conference; there is no indication that they would. I was just thinking out loud.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: RFMichigan on April 05, 2019, 11:19:03 PM
Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on April 05, 2019, 08:40:56 PM
Quote from: RFMichigan on April 05, 2019, 04:41:00 PM

I remember not having an idea where this nickname came from until we played in IC's gym and they had a huge picture of a Civil War soldier on the wall. (Along with a sign which said that Illinois College was the oldest college in the state of Illinois. :o)

I've got a question regarding IC and MacMurray being in the same conference. Is/can a school get admitted into a conference by the simple majority of conference presidents or can one school veto another one from getting in? It seems as though Illinois College is an awfully long way from most other schools in the Midwest Conference, but besides the SLIAC, where would they go? The NACC? (I'm fascinated by how and why schools end up in the conferences that they are.)

It depends on the conference rules on how many votes you need to add a ew member. However, most will say that the new school was unanimously voted in, even if there was one or two holdouts. It looks better for the conference to say the move was unanimous.

There is a kind of sick irony if Illinois College were to join the NACC after St. Norbert left the MWC citing travel concerns as one of the reasons and they are forced back into their longest conference road trip they had in the MWC in their new conference.
I'm sorry if it sounded as though I was suggesting that IC would be looking for a new conference; there is no indication that they would. I was just thinking out loud.

I don't think anyone thought that either. We were thinking out loud too.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

iwumichigander

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 04, 2019, 11:44:05 PM
Jacksonville's so small that anything across the street is crosstown. ;)
Small by Chicago standards maybe but 19,000+ not small by downstate standards!  Try 1900 where I grew up 25 miles from Jacksonville. 
Try small as 11 people (from a high of 20) in a little village near my hometown where the population was kept on the village sign with a black magic marker.  Every time someone died, moved out or a birth the population on the sign was crossed out and updated!

Greek Tragedy

Kind of lost in the shuffle of SNC moving to the NACC is that Whitman's associate head coach Matt Airy will be the new head coach at Aurora.

https://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2018-19/contrib/201904095sndlh

Looks like he'll be bringing that fast-paced system to Aurora. Should be fun to watch.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: gbpuckfan on April 05, 2019, 10:43:24 PM
IIRC correctly, Siwash is a reference to Native Americans... but I don't think it's a specific tribe (though I could be wrong on that).  It was changed in about 93.

I did not notice this before, but thanks...

It makes sense that they would have moved away from the name.

Skinny Lance

Is it true former Rockford coach Andrew Weber is starting a NACC hoops podcast? Someone post the link.

Captain_Joe08

NACC Preseason Poll

1. MSOE 21-5 (16-4) 261 (13)
2. Aurora 17-12 (12-8) 235 (3)
3. Benedictine 13-12 (10-10) 223 (2)
4. Illinois Tech 16-12 (11-9) 211 (1)
5. Concordia Wisconsin 18-8 (16-4) 206 (1)
6. Lakeland 12-13 (10-10) 140
7. Edgewood 10-16 (10-10) 139
8. Wisconsin Lutheran 12-13 (10-10) 120
9. Marian 7-18 (5-15) 77
10. Concordia Chicago 6-19 (6-14) 76
11. Rockford 12-14 (11-9) 68
12. Dominican 3-22 (3-17) 38
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Skinny Lance on October 30, 2019, 04:48:24 PM
Is it true former Rockford coach Andrew Weber is starting a NACC hoops podcast? Someone post the link.

Any D3 hoops podcast is one I would support!!

Captain_Joe08

NACC Scores through Monday.

11/8

Wisconsin Lutheran 96 North Central (MN) 82
MSOE 76 Northwestern (MN) 75
Carroll 74 Rockford 64
ORV Loras 108 Concordia Chicago 85
UW-Superior 60 Marian 55

11/9

#12 St. John's (MN) 71 Marian 43
MSOE 81 North Central (MN) 75
Northwestern (MN) 87 Wisconsin Lutheran 82
Benedictine 87 St. Norbert 79
Trine 75 Illinois Tech 71

11/10

Carroll 98 Lakeland 49

NACC Standings

1. MSOE 2-0
2. Benedictine 1-0
3. Wisconsin Lutheran 1-1
4. Concordia Wisconsin 0-0
5. Aurora 0-0
6. Edgewood 0-0
7. Dominican 0-0
8. Lakeland 0-1
9. Rockford 0-1
10. Illinois Tech 0-1
11. Concordia Chicago 0-1
12. Marian 0-2

Captain_Joe08

This week's games

11/12

Lakeland at Finlandia
Wisconsin Lutheran at Milwaukee (Exhibition)
UW-Whitewater at MSOE

11/13

Illinois Tech at Ferris State (Exhibition)
Benedictine at Hope
Dominican at North Park
Marian at Holy Family (Formerly Silver Lake College)

11/14

Maranatha at Rockford
Aurora at UW-Eau Claire

11/15

UW-La Crosse vs Concordia Wisconsin (at Dubuque, Iowa)

11/16

UW-Stout at Lakeland
Benedictine vs LeTourneau (at Memphis, Tennessee)
Rockford at Northern Illinois (Exhibition)
Concordia Wisconsin at ORV Loras

11/17

Benedictine vs Millikin (at Memphis)

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The basketball season now finds itself square in the middle of not only the holidays, but also finals. Teams are taking breaks to focus on academics and either not playing until the new year or finding openings to fit in games here and there.

And while the tempo of games subsides a bit, there is still plenty of news swirling around Division III. Tune in as Dave and guests tackle all of the news this week in what should be a jam-packed Hoopsville on Thursday night.

Topics will include the latest news of two Capital Athletic Conference members announcing they are leaving for other conference homes. What is next for the CAC which will be down to just three members by 2021-22 season. The rumors about St. Thomas's future continue to swirl, we at least try and put some of those rumors to rest. And a MIAC president finally speaks out about the decision to push UST out the door. Maybe he should have not said anything.

Plus, there is a new number one team in women's basketball, a team that nearly completed an undefeated season has reemerged, another former champion is showing they may be back in the hunt, and a program we haven't talked about in a long time has made it known they are ready for the season.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE with the following options:
- Main page: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville
- Show page: http://bit.ly/2rFn0MF (or www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2019-20/dec12)
- Facebook Live Simulcast: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
- YouTube Simulcast: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
- Team1 Sports: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville/
- Team1 Sports app (Android TV, Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Roku) - you will either find it under the "live" section or search for the Hoopsville channel

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Doreen Carden, Albion women's coach
- Jill Pace, No. 1 Tufts women's coach
- Stephen Brennan, No. 14 Babson men's coach
- Keith Bunkenburg, No. 24 Benedictine coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/256-hoopsville-30984615/

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio, Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

RFMichigan

And now your monthly NACC basketball update:

No conference disproves the Transitive Theory When Applied to Basketball Results more than the NACC. I think there are three teams that have a legitimate shot to win the title - Benedictine, CUW, and Wisconsin Lutheran - but there is often little rhyme or reason to who beats whom and by how much.  Example: Benedictine annihilated Lakeland by 30, Lakeland beat Concordia Chicago by 13 in a game that wasn't that close, so Benedictine should have their way with CUC, right? Nope. Benedictine goes into Concordia-Chicago and gives up 57 first half points to the Cougars and gets crushed. (CUC's Coach Kollar was a former assistant at BU, by the way.)

This has been your monthly NACC basketball update.

Greek Tragedy

Those 86 fans that show up for games must really make a difference. All those wins mentioned were by the home team. Thanks for the monthly report!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

RFMichigan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 17, 2019, 09:18:16 AM
Those 86 fans that show up for games must really make a difference. All those wins mentioned were by the home team. Thanks for the monthly report!

lol. Yes - It's not the fans that give the advantage, but the white-knuckle driving to Plymouth, Wisconsin that does a team in!