East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

bman, yea, will be heading to dover.  if they were in line for a sure as in home in the quarters game then there would be a good chance that i would go to widener since i believe that that game will be much better than the wesley game is going to be.  as much bashing as the nefc is taking on this thread, framingham did almost beat cortland and may have without the turnovers.  a running back over 200 yards certainly does not bode well for cortland since wesley can also pass.

ExTartanPlayer

+K to you as well, dlip. I also enjoy a good debate over D-III ball and don't carry grudges over a forum discussion. I know the East Region is more your domain than mine, but I played a number of games vs. East opponents while in school and grew up ten minutes from Albright, so I've always been in touch with the East somehow.  I still think I'm "right" based on 2012 results, but I also think that we all want essentially the same thing going forward - more actual inter-conference play to evaluate whether the NEFC is actually moving forward beyond those ugly results from the early 2000s. I think that at least the top 3-4 teams in the league are, and Salve's recent step forward as well as Bridgewater State playing Springfield (anyone know if that series continues for a few more years?) are steps in the right direction. We'll see if it continues.

No +K for that scurvy LewDogg, though.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Bombers798891

Holy god, I go away for one night, and everyone goes crazy. I don't even know what you guys are arguing about, so I'm just going to assume it's about Cortland sucking

gordonmann

Quote001: Western Connecticut 8, Westfield State 7
Rowan 43, Western Connecticut 14
http://www.d3football.com/teams/Western_Connecticut/2001/index

I covered that West Conn/Westfield State game for us back in the day.  Second worst Division III football game I've ever seen, ahead of a 7-0 Trinity/Hamilton stinker in the late 1990s.

Knightstalker

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 19, 2012, 08:25:52 PM
Quote from: pg04 on November 19, 2012, 07:28:39 PM
I definitely see the argument of those I'm opposing here; a record of 2-16 in the playoffs is GLARING and the most significant point made.

And the margin of defeat was already noted, but in fact, it gets worse for NEFC teams. Here are some of the results of games where the NEFC played an opponent within a touchdown, followed by that opponent's game in the next round.

1999: Ursinus 43, Bridgewater State 38
Rowan 55, Ursinus 0
http://www.d3football.com/teams/Ursinus/1999/index

2001: Western Connecticut 8, Westfield State 7
Rowan 43, Western Connecticut 14
http://www.d3football.com/teams/Western_Connecticut/2001/index

In 2007 and 2008 Curry got the conference's two playoff wins, then got steamrolled the following week.

These are the only non-double-digits playoff losses for the NEFC before Framingham State lost to Cortland this past Saturday.

History says that Cortland gets Monkey Stomped this Saterday.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

pg04

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 19, 2012, 10:57:39 PM
Holy god, I go away for one night, and everyone goes crazy. I don't even know what you guys are arguing about, so I'm just going to assume it's about Cortland sucking

Yes.

fisheralum91

Holy crap this board blew up yesterday!
+k for some great reading!!

ExTartanPlayer

We can always start debating whether it's more impressive to pilot a good all-around team a few rounds into the plaoffs with superb QB play, or to carry a 2-3 win team to 7-8 wins with superb QB play.

It's really like debating between peanut butter and bacon.  Both are fantastic, but they are hard to compare.

lewdogg11

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 19, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
Quote from: dlip on November 19, 2012, 07:25:08 PM
Last comment then dlip will let it go...maybe

The NEFC is as good a conference as the E8, LL, NJAC, and the MAC and is deserving of a pool C bid in regards to their relative strength in comparison to the aforementioned conferences.

True or false? ****in easy...time for a poll

Look, you're still misunderstanding my point. I have never said this, in fact several times I have stated IN THIS THREAD that this is not so. My vigorous defense of the NEFC stems from a comment by LewDogg that the sixth-best Empire 8 team would "run the table" in the NEFC despite ample evidence from 2012 results (not that lovely 2-16 record you guys keep bringing up, which includes a dozen results that would not overlap with a single current player on any roster) that the top 3-4 NEFC teams were certainly quite capable of playing with and beating respectable opponents. That is NOT equal to the statement you're now making in some childish effort to make me look like the one with his head stuck in the sand.

Yanks said this, not me.  I don't completely disagree that Utica would have been at least 8-2 or 9-1, but I wouldn't make this statement.  Sorry for being so 'scurvy' whatever the f*ck that means.

Bombers798891

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 20, 2012, 06:30:28 AM

We can always start debating whether it's more impressive to pilot a good all-around team a few rounds into the plaoffs with superb QB play, or to carry a 2-3 win team to 7-8 wins with superb QB play.

It's really like debating between peanut butter and bacon.  Both are fantastic, but they are hard to compare.

Felicetti = Bacon. Boltus = Not bacon

Yanks 99

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 20, 2012, 08:42:50 AM

Felicetti = Bacon. Boltus = Not bacon

Ha...nice...+k...
Hartwick College 2007 Empire 8 Champions

Bombers798891

I'm just mad I didn't know about the debate till after the fact. Thanks for nothing ETP ;) I would have loved to chime in. I heart debates on this board. Seriously, I want IC to be good again just so I can start having more things to argue about. K+ for everyone

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: LewDogg11 on November 20, 2012, 08:27:40 AM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 19, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
Quote from: dlip on November 19, 2012, 07:25:08 PM
Last comment then dlip will let it go...maybe

The NEFC is as good a conference as the E8, LL, NJAC, and the MAC and is deserving of a pool C bid in regards to their relative strength in comparison to the aforementioned conferences.

True or false? ****in easy...time for a poll

Look, you're still misunderstanding my point. I have never said this, in fact several times I have stated IN THIS THREAD that this is not so. My vigorous defense of the NEFC stems from a comment by LewDogg that the sixth-best Empire 8 team would "run the table" in the NEFC despite ample evidence from 2012 results (not that lovely 2-16 record you guys keep bringing up, which includes a dozen results that would not overlap with a single current player on any roster) that the top 3-4 NEFC teams were certainly quite capable of playing with and beating respectable opponents. That is NOT equal to the statement you're now making in some childish effort to make me look like the one with his head stuck in the sand.

Yanks said this, not me.  I don't completely disagree that Utica would have been at least 8-2 or 9-1, but I wouldn't make this statement.  Sorry for being so 'scurvy' whatever the f*ck that means.

Ah, now that I look back, you're right.  I blame the misunderstanding on taking too many hits to the head, resulting in early cognitive decline.

+K for everyone!  Huzzah!

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 20, 2012, 10:27:15 AM

I'm just mad I didn't know about the debate till after the fact. Thanks for nothing ETP ;)

You know, you can publicly post your cell phone number and we can just call you at a moment's notice when one erupts.

Bombers798891

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 20, 2012, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 20, 2012, 10:27:15 AM

I'm just mad I didn't know about the debate till after the fact. Thanks for nothing ETP ;)

You know, you can publicly post your cell phone number and we can just call you at a moment's notice when one erupts.

Yeah, but then Frank Rossi will prank call me at 2 A.M. There's a trade-off to consider here