SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sully309

Quote from: coachdubb on February 26, 2009, 02:35:30 PM
Hey Eureka SID, please explain to me how Vollmer (top 3 in conference in points and rebounds) not be 1st team all conference. Secondly, how can Hawkey not be 1st Team?

1. I'll start with Vollmer. The reason she isn't any higher has much to do with her 36.8 field goal percentage. For someone that took 250 of her 280 shots from inside the arc, that is below average to put it nicely.  Now, she did average a double-double, which is impressive (and why she made my list over some from Fontbonne...more on them in a minute). But, only 1 player on my list had a lower FG%, that being her teammate Lowe. The reason Lowe was higher is she shot more from the outside and, quite frankly, when most teams start game-planning against Mac, they start the discussion with Lowe, then worry about Vollmer 2nd, which tells me Lowe was facing better defenders.

Mac deserves credit for out-performing the preseason predictions, but 4-12 really isn't that great. Plus, Mac didn't play the best defense, seeing as how Eureka had its 2 highest scoring games of the season against them.

2. On to Hawkey. As with any all-conference team, if you want to move someone up, someone has to come down. I'm guessing you wouldn't be moving down Speer of Shipley. Despite your claim that Hawkey is the best all-around player in the league, for my money, Wemlinger is better in most areas. Plus, she brings more of a veteran presence and calmness to the floor as she is a senior. Similarly, Wilhelm would also have much better stats if she played more than 22 minutes/game. When you extrapolate her stats out to the 34 minutes that Hawkey played, it's no contest. Maryville ran the table this year and Wemlinger and Wilhelm were their 2 top guns. They should be recognized as such.

Kirby gets the nod over Hawkey because her percentages are much better. She was the best 3-point shooter in the league, led the nation in FT%, and was the best player on the 2nd place team in the conference. Hawkey's 2 extra points per game have more to do with her taking 50 more shots and playing 4 more minutes than with her being a better player. In head to head match ups, Fontbonne took both games as well.

I thought I was doing Hawkey a favor by putting her as Newcomer of the Year. One could make the argument someone much more dear to me, Lindsey Crum of Eureka, had better stats:

Hawkey: 40.1 FG%, 39.3 3FG% (33-84), 73.5 FT%, 15.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.0 apg, 16 stl, 4 blk.

Crum: 45.7 FG%, 39.1 3FG% (34-87), 73.8 FT%, 18.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, 18 stl, 9 blk.

hopefan

I am now a Coach Dubb fan  -  great attitude during the game - and the nice gesture of saying hi to me before I could say hi to him.... now, all Blackburn needs is about 3 players 5'10" or better, and maybe some work on the point to keep the offense under control.  Hawkey and Shipley are nice players (though Shiply had a non game hampered by fouls all night), and  with all the quickness to the hoop, Schultze fits in as a nice perimeter threat.   

With MU gone next year, I now see four teams returning similar talent levels next year that should compete ----Font, Webster, BC and Westmin.... I'm not familiar with Prin and Mac, EC seemed behind and Greenville will miss Banal.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

sully309

Quote from: hopefan on February 26, 2009, 12:03:26 PM
Incidently - thanks to EC for giving us his forecast of All conference on the women's side - I'll not attempt that task, as I simply am not that familiar with several of the teams - teams that evidently have some of the best players in the league....

HOWEVER - my opinion is that Fontbonne is going to feel grossly unappreciated when they review EC's prognostications.   Here's a team tied for 2nd, who played Maryville to margins of 7 and 3...  Having seen them a number of times this year, I've got to think that Calli Collier, and possibly Mallory Ludwig deserve some kind of recognition..... If there was an all frosh team, Kendra Shilli would be a leading candidate..

I would like to take all the credit for Fontbonne's win as my post obviously fired up the Griffins to the point they became an irresistible force tonight.

But seriously folks, I just couldn't bring myself to put a 2nd Griffin on the my list. Collier seems to have the most support from others on this board, but the facts are she shot 34% from the field and 31% on threes in a gym with by far the friendliest rims I've ever seen. And she had to get hot at the end of the year just to get that high. She didn't exactly make a great first impression on me with her 2-12 showing at Eureka either. She deserves a lot of credit for the Griffins great end to the year, though, and her reward is getting to continue her season. Many that are on my Unofficial All-Conference Team, as awesome of an honor as it may be  ;D, would gladly trade it in for a chance to keep playing. It was a tough call, and she was the next to last player I eliminated.

At the end of the day, one of the top reasons I would have put Collier on my list would have been that her teammates were better. That doesn't seem like a good reason to put someone on an all-conference team to me.

Who was the last person eliminated? Kendra Schilli. The more I think about it, the more I wish I would have put her on my team. If I was starting a team for next year using only returning players from the conference, she would be one of them. Maybe the fact that Collier, Schilli and Ludwig all had similar seasons will actually hurt each of their individual chances of landing on the all-conference team. If there ends up being 2 or 3 Griffins on the all-conference team, I won't argue (unless it's at the expense of a Red Devil  ;)). Fontbonne had, and is still having, a good season.

But, if you want to compare stats, take a look at the 3 Griffins compared to someone from Eureka (frosh Lisa Byard) that also did not make my all-conference team:

Collier: 32.4 min, 34.4 FG%, 30.8 3FG% (36-117), 85.9 FT%, 14.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.1 apg, 16 stl, 3 blk

Ludwig: 19.6 min, 60.2 FG%, 0-0 3FG, 71.9 FT%, 11.4 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 0.6 apg, 9 stl, 17 blk

Schilli: 28.6 min, 50.0 FG%, 28.6 3FG% (2-7), 75.6 FT%, 10.0 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 1.9 apg, 37 stl, 4 blk

Byard: 29.6 min, 45.0 FG%, 0-0 3FG, 63.7 FT%, 13.1 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 0.4 apg, 10 stl, 6 blk.

Coach Will

Well my season is offically over, and I just wanted to thank my team, staff and administration for all the hard work that was put in. I also want to thank all of our fans that supported us all year. Good luck to both teams playing in the championship game.

I will take a week off, then I will start to prepare for next season. See you all later.

Coach Will

Quote from: hopefan on February 26, 2009, 11:40:06 PM
I am now a Coach Dubb fan  -  great attitude during the game - and the nice gesture of saying hi to me before I could say hi to him.... now, all Blackburn needs is about 3 players 5'10" or better, and maybe some work on the point to keep the offense under control.  Hawkey and Shipley are nice players (though Shiply had a non game hampered by fouls all night), and  with all the quickness to the hoop, Schultze fits in as a nice perimeter threat.   

With MU gone next year, I now see four teams returning similar talent levels next year that should compete ----Font, Webster, BC and Westmin.... I'm not familiar with Prin and Mac, EC seemed behind and Greenville will miss Banal.

Thanks for coming out to support us Hopefan!

Coach Will

Quote from: eureka_sid on February 26, 2009, 11:11:02 PM
Quote from: coachdubb on February 26, 2009, 02:35:30 PM
Hey Eureka SID, please explain to me how Vollmer (top 3 in conference in points and rebounds) not be 1st team all conference. Secondly, how can Hawkey not be 1st Team?

1. I'll start with Vollmer. The reason she isn't any higher has much to do with her 36.8 field goal percentage. For someone that took 250 of her 280 shots from inside the arc, that is below average to put it nicely.  Now, she did average a double-double, which is impressive (and why she made my list over some from Fontbonne...more on them in a minute). But, only 1 player on my list had a lower FG%, that being her teammate Lowe. The reason Lowe was higher is she shot more from the outside and, quite frankly, when most teams start game-planning against Mac, they start the discussion with Lowe, then worry about Vollmer 2nd, which tells me Lowe was facing better defenders.

Mac deserves credit for out-performing the preseason predictions, but 4-12 really isn't that great. Plus, Mac didn't play the best defense, seeing as how Eureka had its 2 highest scoring games of the season against them.

2. On to Hawkey. As with any all-conference team, if you want to move someone up, someone has to come down. I'm guessing you wouldn't be moving down Speer of Shipley. Despite your claim that Hawkey is the best all-around player in the league, for my money, Wemlinger is better in most areas. Plus, she brings more of a veteran presence and calmness to the floor as she is a senior. Similarly, Wilhelm would also have much better stats if she played more than 22 minutes/game. When you extrapolate her stats out to the 34 minutes that Hawkey played, it's no contest. Maryville ran the table this year and Wemlinger and Wilhelm were their 2 top guns. They should be recognized as such.

Kirby gets the nod over Hawkey because her percentages are much better. She was the best 3-point shooter in the league, led the nation in FT%, and was the best player on the 2nd place team in the conference. Hawkey's 2 extra points per game have more to do with her taking 50 more shots and playing 4 more minutes than with her being a better player. In head to head match ups, Fontbonne took both games as well.

I thought I was doing Hawkey a favor by putting her as Newcomer of the Year. One could make the argument someone much more dear to me, Lindsey Crum of Eureka, had better stats:

Hawkey: 40.1 FG%, 39.3 3FG% (33-84), 73.5 FT%, 15.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 3.0 apg, 16 stl, 4 blk.

Crum: 45.7 FG%, 39.1 3FG% (34-87), 73.8 FT%, 18.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.1 apg, 18 stl, 9 blk.
Eureka  SID,

there is no right or wrong answer, I just enjoy talking about the game. I do like what you wrote about maryville, and I do beleive that they should have several players on the 1st team. I still beleive that Vollmer, rather she has a low shooting percentage or not should somehow be on the 1st team..now who comes off, I have no idea...LOL! I just think that she does a great job, and her stats for scoring and rebounds are very close to speer. But anyways, it was good discussing this, and I look forward to more great post by you.

I am going to baltimore for spring break and I am gonna come back and start preparing for next season..good luck the rest of the year.

jdoug2

I am sticking with my prediction.

Fontbonne with a huge upset of Maryville. Here's hoping the Griffins 3's will be falling.

GO FONTBONNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go GRIFFINS

hopefan

Given the two previous results  with Fontbonne staying close, yes it's a possibility. But I'll tell you Jdoug, Maryville - at least their first 8 or 9 players - just looked great last night...   unfortunately I won't be able to attend tomorrow - best of luck and congrats to both teams for outstanding seasons.......

sully309

Coach Dubb, a wise man once said, an intelligent person can see both sides. I think we both can see both sides.

I hope we end up with a competitive game Saturday. Other SLIAC teams have been able to play Maryville close more often than I thought they would at the beginning of the season and Fontbonne has been the team that's done it twice.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: eureka_sid on February 28, 2009, 01:04:40 AM
Coach Dubb, a wise man once said, an intelligent person can see both sides. I think we both can see both sides.

Does it stand the test of logic, then, that you are both intelligent people?

jdoug2

Congratulations to Maryville. I wish them luck in the tourney.

On a personal note, it was a sad day for myself and all of Lauren's family. Since she is a senior it will be the last time she puts on a uniform and plays ball. I've watched her play since she was 10 and enjoyed every moment. It's amazing how she has grown both on and off the court. I think playing ball has been nothing but a tremendous experience for her. Helped instill discipline. Understand teamwork. And given her countless friends and connections. But I'll still miss watching her play. Miss her taking that 3. Playing some defense. Having fun playing with her teammates. Thanks to all of you on the board who would give updates on the Fontbonne games. It was great to read about the games that I couldn't attend. To all the seniors whose season and careers are over.... thanks.
Go GRIFFINS

furbug

Quote from: jdoug2 on March 01, 2009, 12:38:53 PM
I think playing ball has been nothing but a tremendous experience for her. Helped instill discipline. Understand teamwork.

This is an excellent observation, and I believe an accurate one. In my 34 year career in the business world, I found former athletes to be among the very best people I worked with, and I think a lot of it had to do with the teamwork mentality they had developed. Whatever Lauren decides to do, that will be a strong attribute for her.

hopefan

Maryville travels to Wisconsin in their D3 swan song  -  a shame they aren't at Wash U......  they already been referred to as "cake" in the Wisconsin room.....    go get em Saints.....

theoneandonly

when will all conference be posted? ???
Baseball players get to every base.

hopefan

it has been  -  go to sliac.org  -  i't been there since Saturday night.