SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furbug

Quote from: hopefan on January 29, 2008, 07:23:52 AM
it helps to have 10 to practice.....

Good point. Last season with Webster's very thin squad, the coach Jayme Callahan had to practice with the team to make up a body. Fortunately she is young and in good playing condition.

sully309

Quote from: furbug on January 28, 2008, 07:07:47 PM
jdoug2, the drubbings are usually when the SLIAC teams go outside the conference, and you have probably seen that the posters on this site have mixed feelings about that, how difficult the non-conference schedule should be. Going back to what we were saying before, one problem with the smaller squad is that the women sustain injuries more frequently, especially the ACL tears. Starting off a season with a squad of 8 or 9 is quite risky.

Try starting a season with 7 like Eureka did this year. We had 2 later additions, but also lost 2 to injury, so we've been back down to 7 since New Year's. Needless to say, the players have had no choice put to get in great condition. But as Hopefan pointed out, practicing 5 on 5 becomes a challenge.

We're lucky to have the group that we do. They easily could have felt sorry for themselves and packed it in, but they have too much pride and love of the game to consider doing that.

furbug

And, Eureka SID, I'm sure you are proud of them for playing hard like that. They deserve a lot of credit, and the experience is one that they will never forget.

jdoug2

Totally agree you need more kids so you can practice. Not to mention should injuries pop up.

Quick aside to the earlier chat... I'd rather play less minutes for a playoff team, than be "the man" on an also-ran.

Good to see some chatter on the SLIAC side of things.
Go GRIFFINS

y_jack_lok

Quote from: jdoug2 on January 29, 2008, 05:09:10 PM
Quick aside to the earlier chat... I'd rather play less minutes for a playoff team, than be "the man" on an also-ran.

I totally agree, jdoug. I bowled in a league for a few years about 20 years ago. My team was in a bowl-off for the league championship. I was not "the man" on our team, but I had one of my best nights and we still lost. It was little consolation to have bowled well but leave as a runner-up.

furbug

Very nice recognition for MacMurray College's Abby Lowe as Player of the Week, a spirited and very good player.

sully309

Quote from: furbug on January 29, 2008, 01:04:37 PM
And, Eureka SID, I'm sure you are proud of them for playing hard like that. They deserve a lot of credit, and the experience is one that they will never forget.

Absolutely. It's not a situation they should have to deal with, but they've become stronger individually, and a more cohesive unit as a whole, as a result.

jdoug2

I'm still new to this DIII stuff. I don't understand how you can have one school so desperate for players, and then schools like Fontbonne that have 20 or so on the roster. Granted all the kids are not of the same talent level. And I guess the location of the school plays a part? Seems odd.

Here's hoping for a Fontbonne win tonight versus Greenville.
Go GRIFFINS

jdoug2

Not to slight Principia, but how is it Maryville only won 65-49? I watched Fontbonne kill Principia, yet Principia hangs with Maryville. Does Maryville save up extra juice to run it up on Fontbonne? I guess it makes sense. Destroy those closest to you in the standings. Show them who the boss is.

Just wondering.
Go GRIFFINS

jdoug2

Fontbonne with a big win over Greenville tonight.
Go GRIFFINS

hopefan

Now Admittedly I watch the lady's game as an addendum to the men's games,

BUT,

It seems to me Fontbonne is coming on strong - if things continue the way they are, the Fontbonne MU matchup with MUs NCAA record on the line could indeed be very entertaining

And by the way, regarding Maryville's record - for consecutive conference game wins - it was brought to my attention that it is for consecutine conference REGULAR SEASON wins only  -  Maryville was indeed upset by Webster in the Conference tournament several years ago.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Bizarre call of the season - at least a call that I've never seen or heard of before.

As a Westminster lady is shooting the second of two free throws, a player on the Webster bench, at the opposite end of the court, is vociferously encouraging her teammates to be ready to rebound.  The shot is missed, and the official under the basket blows his whistle.  The Westminster player is awarded a "do over" for the "blatant" distraction.  Yes - I checked with the coach, it was not a lane violation or anything else - but a penalty for the bench players distraction.
WHAT????   Now if a bench Technical had been called for unsportsman like conduct had been called, I could understand.  But a "do over"??
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

jdoug2

Hopefan, that does sound like a really odd call. I'd hate to have something that weak be called and it have it determine a close game.

Looking forward to coming up this Saturday for the Fontbonne vs Blackburn game.
Go GRIFFINS

jdoug2

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

FONTBONNE    VS   Blackburn

Fontbonne needs to avenge the earlier loss this season.
Go GRIFFINS

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on January 31, 2008, 09:09:30 AM
Bizarre call of the season - at least a call that I've never seen or heard of before.

As a Westminster lady is shooting the second of two free throws, a player on the Webster bench, at the opposite end of the court, is vociferously encouraging her teammates to be ready to rebound.  The shot is missed, and the official under the basket blows his whistle.  The Westminster player is awarded a "do over" for the "blatant" distraction.  Yes - I checked with the coach, it was not a lane violation or anything else - but a penalty for the bench players distraction.
WHAT????   Now if a bench Technical had been called for unsportsman like conduct had been called, I could understand.  But a "do over"??

Can anyone tell me if there is a rule that allows for the officials to make a call like this? Perhaps a rule that reads something like this: "The officials, at any point in the game, may make up a rule to address a given situation if no rule exists that would apply to that situation."

All three officials are complicit in this questionable call. The official under the basket blew his whistle. He told the other two officials why he had done so, then remained under the basket while other two discussed it and ultimately told the scorers table and the Webster coach, who rightfully questioned it, what the decision was.

Good grief!! The player shooting the free throws had her back to the Webster bench and could not see anything. Noise is a staple in a game environment and players at the free throw line have to deal with it all the time.

I hope the supervisor of officials hears about this, unless someone can cite an existing rule that allows for such a call.