WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Very happy to run into Shelby Jackson in the IWU Ames Library today -- she's going to serve as GA or Asst Coach for Mia Smith this coming year.  Guess she replaces Olivia Lett who has a new gig as an assistant coach up at the University of Chicago.  Great to see Shelby back on campus.  She's now a grad student at ISU as well. 

Looking forward to some hoops in about 8 weeks now.

Hope all the CCIW chatsters are ready for another rodeo.

IWU'70

lmitzel

Official roster for NCC is up: http://northcentralcardinals.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball

I have a ton of new names to learn (10 freshmen, 1 junior transfer from Benedictine in Shannon Ryan) because I'm going to be yelling them a lot. From my conversations with Coach Roof, she sounds super excited about the upcoming year.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Mr. Ypsi

Just took a look at IWU's roster for the coming season.  For position, they list 1 center, 2 forwards, and EIGHTEEN guards! :o

Fortunately, several of the guards are as tall as the forwards, so I hope they are flexible! :)

It's been a standing joke on the men's board for years about the Titan 5-guard offense - maybe Mia has decided to do it for real! ;D

(Or is 'guard' simply the default title for younger players whose positional identity is not yet set?)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The Tufts men last year had a roster with 3 centers and 12 guards.  I guess it was a badge of honor not to be a forward.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

RogK

When starting lineups are provided to the official scorer, is there a requirement that a position be listed for each player?
Can all five starters on a team be introduced as centers?
I guess anyone could be called a guard if she can run and dribble at the same time. Assigning a position label to a player doesn't change what she can or cannot do. Fans may expect a forward to be a better rebounder than a guard, but we know this is not a certainty.
Within a specific team, labels such as "guard" or "post" or "center' or "3" or "5" may define what a player is supposed to do, but such responsibilities vary from team to team. Perhaps in the early decades of basketball, you could tell who the forwards were by where you found them on the court. Things are not quite so rigid these days.

badgerwarhawk

There is no requirement that players be identified by position when lineups are provided to the official scorers.  Names and numbers are the only things that are required.  How a team chooses to have the public address announcer announce the starting lineup is up to the team.  They could announce them leaving position entirely out of the announcement if they chose to do so. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Mr. Ypsi

WooHoo - I got this board at least partially revived! ;D

I wasn't 'concerned' about the positions listed on the Titan roster ("In Mia I Trust!"), it just seemed odd.  I'm guessing that my last sentence was the closest explanation - 'guard' is simply the default designation until a player has pretty clearly established a positional identity.  The strategy of Mia doesn't seem to worry too much about 'positions'.  By and large, everyone does everything! ;)

lmitzel

When I announce starting lineups, I give the position as what's listed on the roster in our program. It gets complicated if they're listed as a G/F or F/C, in which case I let height relative to other players at various positions dictate which of the two I announce them as, so it's something of an inexact science.

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 21, 2016, 10:00:03 PM
Just took a look at IWU's roster for the coming season.  For position, they list 1 center, 2 forwards, and EIGHTEEN guards! :o

Fortunately, several of the guards are as tall as the forwards, so I hope they are flexible! :)

It's been a standing joke on the men's board for years about the Titan 5-guard offense - maybe Mia has decided to do it for real! ;D

(Or is 'guard' simply the default title for younger players whose positional identity is not yet set?)

Mia has gone with a 5-guard starting lineup at least once since I took over the mic at Merner. I don't think she's the only one who has, either, though I don't remember off the top of my head.
#THREEEEEEEEE

lmitzel

Preseason coaches' poll is up. Wheaton picked to three-peat with 7 first place votes, Illinois Wesleyan in 2nd with the other two votes, then a little more bunched up with NCC picked third by three points ahead of Carthage, who is three ahead of Elmhurst for the last tournament spot. (Edited because I misread when I first posted.)

http://cciw.org/news/2016/10/26/WBB_1026165140.aspx
#THREEEEEEEEE

gordonmann

Our preseason poll was also released late tonight.

http://d3hoops.com/top25/women/2016-17/preseason

Wheaton is No. 21 and Illinois Wesleyan receiving votes.

iwu70

Looking forward to the new season, some very new and different teams to watch.  I think IWU will be pretty solid with some very experienced players returning. 

Warm greetings to all Chatsters from Hong Kong. 

Luckily, I'm back to IWU Nov. 2-22 so will see a few men's games at Shirk before returning to Asia.  IWU women are on the road, so will have to watch those early games on the video streaming.

IWU70

lmitzel

Quote from: gordonmann on October 27, 2016, 12:10:08 AM
Our preseason poll was also released late tonight.

http://d3hoops.com/top25/women/2016-17/preseason

Wheaton is No. 21 and Illinois Wesleyan receiving votes.

No real surprise on either front. IWU and Wheaton are the two schools that scare me most this year, so their presence in both polls kind of confirms what I'd expected.

I'm also not surprised the two swept the 1-2 votes from all the coaches. I am a little surprised the gap between North Central and Carthage is as close as it is, but maybe I've been drinking too much of the red Kool-Aid this offseason.
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

North Park is going to be traveling down to the Near West Side to play an exhibition against UIC in the Pavilion on Friday night. I'm looking forward to it, as I can't recall the last time that the NPU women's team played a D1 opponent, even in an exhibition. It'll also be my first-ever chance to call a game in a D1 venue.

This will be an interesting NPU team this season. I saw the Vikings beat Benedictine in a scrimmage the other day, and, while they have a long way to go in a lot of areas, there's more to this North Park team than I had thought that there would be after I had learned that Rachel Torres was going to opt out of her senior year of eligibility in order to graduate in December rather than May and that Nikki Przybyslawski would be studying abroad this year. Several of the returning Vikings have noticeably improved their games, and I like what I see from freshman guard Emmy Gryna and junior transfer forward Clarissa Ramos.

My expectations for NPU this season are modest, but if the Vikes can manage to have a couple of players consistently score in double digits to complement Liz Rehberger, and if the rebounding gets done on a forty-minutes-per-game basis (as opposed to the now-we-see-it-now-we-don't effort in that scrimmage versus BU), they can be competitive in the CCIW. But, given how much talent and experience the teams picked ahead of them have, I think that the margin for error for the Park in league play this season will be narrower than it's been over the past few campaigns.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 31, 2016, 05:18:56 PM
North Park is going to be traveling down to the Near West Side to play an exhibition against UIC in the Pavilion on Friday night. I'm looking forward to it, as I can't recall the last time that the NPU women's team played a D1 opponent, even in an exhibition. It'll also be my first-ever chance to call a game in a D1 venue.

This will be an interesting NPU team this season. I saw the Vikings beat Benedictine in a scrimmage the other day, and, while they have a long way to go in a lot of areas, there's more to this North Park team than I had thought that there would be after I had learned that Rachel Torres was going to opt out of her senior year of eligibility in order to graduate in December rather than May and that Nikki Przybyslawski would be studying abroad this year. Several of the returning Vikings have noticeably improved their games, and I like what I see from freshman guard Emmy Gryna and junior transfer forward Clarissa Ramos.

My expectations for NPU this season are modest, but if the Vikes can manage to have a couple of players consistently score in double digits to complement Liz Rehberger, and if the rebounding gets done on a forty-minutes-per-game basis (as opposed to the now-we-see-it-now-we-don't effort in that scrimmage versus BU), they can be competitive in the CCIW. But, given how much talent and experience the teams picked ahead of them have, I think that the margin for error for the Park in league play this season will be narrower than it's been over the past few campaigns.

You happen to know when they're posting their full roster on the website? I think North Park is the only school I haven't seen yet with an updated one, though I appreciate the tidbits you've included here. Going to miss tripping over myself to make sure I get "Przybyslawski" right.  :D
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Yeah, for all of the time and effort I put in to learning how to pronounce Nikki's surname, it'd be a shame if I don't get to use it for all four seasons. ;)

The NPU roster will be up some time over the next two weeks, but I have no idea when exactly it will happen.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell