MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Quote from: nescac1 on January 20, 2017, 08:40:22 PM

Ridiculous end to Bowdoin-Amherst.   Insane.

Anyone who watched the final 17 seconds knows that's an understatement. ::)

P'bearfan

Devastating loss for Bowdoin as they fall to Amherst in 64-66.

Bowdoin was the superior team for 95% of the game.  Their defense was excellent and at times they made Amherst look like an average team.  Unfortunately, the Polar Bears offense went cold in the last few minutes and they paid the price. 

As nescac1 posted the finish was wild as Jack Bors seemingly sewed up a victory for Bowdoin with perhaps 4 seconds left only to have it stolen by Johnny McCarthy.  However, to focus on the ending of the game is to truly miss the big picture.

Bowdoin wants a re-match and Amherst should be scared as hell to play them again.

GoUBears!!

jayhawk

Eric Conklin is away this weekend for a graduate school interview. Smart student
Good luck to him

Bucket

Quote from: P'bearfan on January 20, 2017, 08:51:23 PM
Devastating loss for Bowdoin as they fall to Amherst in 64-66.

Bowdoin was the superior team for 95% of the game.  Their defense was excellent and at times they made Amherst look like an average team.  Unfortunately, the Polar Bears offense went cold in the last few minutes and they paid the price. 

As nescac1 posted the finish was wild as Jack Bors seemingly sewed up a victory for Bowdoin with perhaps 4 seconds left only to have it stolen by Johnny McCarthy.  However, to focus on the ending of the game is to truly miss the big picture.

Bowdoin wants a re-match and Amherst should be scared as hell to play them again.

GoUBears!!

The thing is, Amherst has been an average team the last couple of weeks: 2-4 in their last six heading into this game, and then for much of this one. My guess—as much as I hate to say it—is that this kind of win jumpstarts the team formerly known as the Lord Jeffs.

Old Guy

You could see the Bears tighten up in the last three minutes. That would have been a big win in that gym. McCarthy's shot was improbable indeed, a contested launch from 30'. Dawson just took over. Quite a game.

Cards Fan

Huge plays in the nescac were made today. Williams plays absolutely terrible basketball, and I don't see a way they will qualify for tournament play.

Only saw the last 30 seconds of Amherst on live stream, but those were all I needed to see. Wow. Amherst wins a game Bowdoin dominated all game, at a crucial time for them. Although they played terrible (again), a win is a win. For Bowdoin fans, this is of course devastating, but they played a decent team really hard.

Attended the Tufts v Wesleyan game, and it started with a huge guy showing his disapproval of Wesleyan's kneeling in a loud, rude manner. Close game all the way, Tufts played tougher at the end. The future is bright for them.

Trinity gets an unsurprising win, but Colby came back hard at the end, coming up short.

grabtherim

Classic trap game for Middlebury tomorrow.  Playing a team that in my mind is too good to be 1-4 in league play, and to have lost 4 out of 5 (only beating an over matched Colby over that run).  The Panthers have never had an easy time in that gym.  Hope the Ephs don't choose tomorrow to start turning things around.  Here's to hoping they wait until Wednesday to do so.     

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I watched the last 30 seconds of that Amherst game.  So, the out of bounds/foul call was definitely a foul, but it totally was not that refs call to make.  The guy right over the ball should've been allowed to make it.  I guess its ok, because they got it right, but seemed odd.

I assume Bowdoin was playing off McCarthy a little to avoid fouling, but you have to be a little closer than that - a shot as difficult and off-balanced as that would could've used a hand in his face.

That really could've turned the season for Amherst.  That loss alone wouldn't have killed them, but another loss they shouldn't have taken might've really hurt momentum.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

polbear73

As much as I hate to admit, I agree that the out of bounds/foul call was the correct call.  I also have to give credit to Amherst for hanging in there and pulling out a game whereby nothing seemed to work against a tenacious opponent. Jade Dawson had a great offensive games, not only for the 27 points scored, but being a major factor in putting Tim Ahn in foul trouble.  From Bowdoin's standpoint, the young kids played Amherst very tough in LeFrak, really should have won the game, and hopefully will learn from a painful and devastating loss.  P'bearfan and I have both thought that these Bears will give people fits on any given night and last night showed that to be true. 

amh63

Been absense on this board for several reasons.  One is that there has been a great deal of things going on in the D.C. Area that I have been following.  Second, following CAC related MBB is not good for my health.  Left posting of Amherst games alone.  Coach Hixon can/ will figure it out...hopefully sooner.
Decided to read the posts here today.  Some comments based on the posts read.
Vandy74...your post wrt to the Amherst-Bowdoin game is a gem!  Plus K.
I have checked in on a number of CAC games, a few minutes online, but mostly via stats.  Several things I have noticed throughout the conference to date.  The CAC teams are loaded with young talent...Conn, Hamilton, Williams, Colby and yes Both Tufts and Bowdoin.  I applaud the coaches that have inserted and rotated their freshmen in games...not only for seasons ahead but for wins This season!
I will add some additional info to the "pot" here.
Missing SR.Conklin is out interviewing for Med School.  He wants to be a MD.  Schedule could not be changed...was in Arizona this weekend according to the Amherst announcer.
Yes, Bowdoin  outplayed Amherst for most of the game.  Amherst first lead was in the last 30 seconds, I think.  Believe the Amherst announcer mentioned it during the Colby game today.  After the Bowdoin game, a fan pointed to another Amherst fan.  Turns out it was JMac's father.  It should be noted again that JMac's younger brother will be arriving next year.
Speaking of younger brothers....J. Racy' younger brother who is listed as a center for Tufts played well today in the absence of Tufts' big man.  Oh yes, Amherst's Racy who has been missing in the offense lately...0-6 from outside in the Bowdoin game...contributed today by going inside.  Amherst may have finally overcomed a major weakness this season...foul shooting.  Shot well at the foul line in the Colby win.  Hope so!
Some interesting ref calls in the Colby game that had Coach Hixon chatting for his players with the refs.  JMac who was hit on a layup drive with no foul called scored the last two points of the game on a soaring one handed jam.  Believe, JMac may have become Amherst "go to guy" with his Bowdoin shot. JMac was the POG in today's game.  He was the Nescac ROY.

ContinentalDomer

Here's a glimpse of one freshman, Kena Gilmour, at work for Hamilton against Williams:

https://twitter.com/hamcollmbball/status/822979645490548736

This was his only FG that was not made from beyond the arc on Friday.

Quote from: amh63 on January 21, 2017, 11:20:43 PM
Been absense on this board for several reasons.  One is that there has been a great deal of things going on in the D.C. Area that I have been following.  Second, following CAC related MBB is not good for my health.  Left posting of Amherst games alone.  Coach Hixon can/ will figure it out...hopefully sooner.
Decided to read the posts here today.  Some comments based on the posts read.
Vandy74...your post wrt to the Amherst-Bowdoin game is a gem!  Plus K.
I have checked in on a number of CAC games, a few minutes online, but mostly via stats.  Several things I have noticed throughout the conference to date.  The CAC teams are loaded with young talent...Conn, Hamilton, Williams, Colby and yes Both Tufts and Bowdoin.  I applaud the coaches that have inserted and rotated their freshmen in games...not only for seasons ahead but for wins This season!
I will add some additional info to the "pot" here.
Missing SR.Conklin is out interviewing for Med School.  He wants to be a MD.  Schedule could not be changed...was in Arizona this weekend according to the Amherst announcer.
Yes, Bowdoin  outplayed Amherst for most of the game.  Amherst first lead was in the last 30 seconds, I think.  Believe the Amherst announcer mentioned it during the Colby game today.  After the Bowdoin game, a fan pointed to another Amherst fan.  Turns out it was JMac's father.  It should be noted again that JMac's younger brother will be arriving next year.
Speaking of younger brothers....J. Racy' younger brother who is listed as a center for Tufts played well today in the absence of Tufts' big man.  Vance who was missing in the Frifday's game came through today.  Oh yes, Amherst's Racy who has been missing in the offense lately...0-6 from outside in the Bowdoin game...contributed today by going inside.  Amherst may have finally overcomed a major weakness this season...foul shooting.  Shot well at the foul line in the Colby win.  Hope so!
Some interesting ref calls in the Colby game that had Coach Hixon chatting for his players with the refs.  JMac who was hit on a layup drive with no foul called scored the last two points of the game on a soaring one handed jam.  Believe, JMac may have become Amherst "go to guy" with his Bowdoin shot. JMac was the POG in today's game.  He was the Nescac ROY.

amh63

Made some corrections to my late night post yesterday....guess I cannot read or type when the clock approach midnight.  I wanted to point out that Wes found a way to stop Tank Smith but posted "Vance" for V. Pace.  My apology to readers.
Hope to catch the Panthers vs Ephs game today.  Yes it is a "trap" game for Midd and I am sure Coach Brown will get his team up for the game.
grabtherim...am a bit confused wrt your last post...the one on today's Williams vs Middlebury game.  at 2PM.  Did you really mean to post that you prefer a win over Amherst in LeFrak in a non conference counting game than a conference game over the Panthers?
With respect to the "little three" game on Wednesday, I recall a video on the subject of a Williams vs Amherst match.  Coach Hixon commented in the video that he at times has to get his players up for games.  However, all he has to say to his players is the game ahead is the Williams game and they are "up" for the challenge.  Me, I will be UP :).

PeterEscobar

Quote from: Old Guy on January 20, 2017, 09:08:55 PM
You could see the Bears tighten up in the last three minutes. That would have been a big win in that gym. McCarthy's shot was improbable indeed, a contested launch from 30'. Dawson just took over. Quite a game.
I feel like for anyone else it is improbable but how many times have we seen him hit that type of shot in that type of moment? Guy is a stone cold killer at the buzzer.

Cards Fan

Midd down 2 at the half. Williams is shooting extremely well, but Moddlebury is keeping with them nicely.

jumpshot

The EPHS blow an 8-point lead with 7 turnovers in the final 5 1/2 minutes of the first half to end with only a two-point advantage at the half.