World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklyspeaking

There must be a better solution than Zardes, must be.

jknezek

I think Altidore is the better current option but he is still rounding into game shape and appears to have picked up a knock, again, otherwise he would have started last night. Unfortunately, our striker pool is very, very limited. Lot of hopes being pinned on Josh Sargent, but he's really young and camp did not go well for him. Timothy Weah is also very young and more likely a wing than a striker. Like Sargent, he needs more playing time. Soto had a good U20 World Cup, but calling him young and inexperienced is an understatement and really this U20 WC was his first shining moment.

Now that the foreign based youth contingent is basically covered, you move to some more common names. Jordan Morris had his 15 minutes and injury has really taken any momentum he had, but there is always a hope he can round back into form. He is only 24. Bobby Wood at 26 is languishing. He needs a new team and some game time and hopefully to build some momentum that seems long gone. Has anyone heard from Aron Johansson lately? Terrance Boyd is sitting behind Altidore on Toronto's bench and hasn't been any good since 2014.

And then there are the ones few have heard of. Ebobisse with the Timbers is having a good season at 22. He might be part of the U23 efforts. Rubio Rubin at 24 might still progress if he ever finds somewhere to get on the dang field. Novakovich is floating around the Eredivisie but I don't think anyone really thinks he's national team caliber, except for the fact that no one else is either.

I'm probably missing a few, but the cupboard is not real full. That's why Zardes and Altidore are still out there. I'm not as down on Altidore as most people are. I think he's a very serviceable target forward, though not flashy. His work rate is good. His first touch is generally a problem. But he is nowhere near the brickfoot Zardes continually proves himself to be. And he doesn't disappear or get muscled off the ball. But he is only a target forward. Zardes, when he wants to, can make distracting runs and has better speed. Of course as soon as you pass the ball to Zardes you can count on him blowing it, but he does make a better distraction than Altidore.

Who else am I missing? Looks pretty bleak.

Gray Fox

I'm not a knowledgeable fan.  But why did the US look so good in the first half of the Gold Cup final and so lost in the second half.
Fierce When Roused

jknezek

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 08, 2019, 11:51:19 AM
I'm not a knowledgeable fan.  But why did the US look so good in the first half of the Gold Cup final and so lost in the second half.

Mexico made some very good adjustments, ours didn't work out so well. Berhalter has some learning to do, just like the younger members of the team. I did like seeing us hungry again. That was a change from the end of the last WC cycle. But we need to put away our chances. Both teams had them last night. Mexico put one of theirs away, we choked on ours.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

OldNed

I'm watching the Liverpool/Sporting CP game from Yankee Stadium tonight, and I don't know if it's me, but that field looks REALLY narrow.  It's really shocking because there is absolutely no room between players like you normally see in the EPL or other European leagues.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: OldNed on July 24, 2019, 08:29:39 PM
I'm watching the Liverpool/Sporting CP game from Yankee Stadium tonight, and I don't know if it's me, but that field looks REALLY narrow.  It's really shocking because there is absolutely no room between players like you normally see in the EPL or other European leagues.

it's certainly not you, they can't fit a fully sized field/pitch inside Yankee Stadium. It was only supposed to be a temporary home for NYCFC as they pursued land elsewhere in the city, but plans for a different site in the Bronx as well as Queens and I believe Inwood have all been shut down by local officials. Sounds like they'll have to make due with YS 3.0 for the foreseeable future.

Ejay

Yankee Stadium is supposedly 110x70 - league minimum, but I recall reading an article about a visiting coach who walked it off and it was something like 106x68. In fact, I don't think the press are allowed on the field anymore for this very reason.

blooter442

I saw the game as well as a number of comments about the narrow pitch, so I'm not surprised by the dimensions. I was at the game at Fenway on Sunday and the pitch looked a bit narrow but not as narrow as the pitch last night.

Pretty sure I've said this before, but all three pre-season games I've seen LFC play (at Fenway) they've lost, while both PL games I've seen (at Anfield) they've won. Not fun seeing them lose every time they're here but I'd rather see them win the countable games as they have. Still, a fun experience to see them play in person. Not been a great pre-season but I am optimistic that the return of the front three and Alisson will improve things — Mignolet reminded everyone why he's the backup. Still think another signing or two (a #10 and some cover for the front three) would be ideal.

jknezek

NYCFC playing in Yankee Stadium has always been an embarrassment. MLS grabbed for cash and name recognition at the expense of the game. Every other expansion team has to have a plan in motion for a soccer stadium. NYCFC was a nasty and pathetic move. The fact they still can't get anything done is miserable and every team hates playing there. Such a completely avoidable mess that was caused by nothing but greed.

truenorth

First, regarding Liverpool...I'm fine with them losing meaningless friendlies while test driving younger players...as long as they put their game faces on when the real games start...  Also, I'd like to see another left back to back up Robertson.  I'm less concerned about attacking players...assuming Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain get back to full health.

And I hear you on the issues with NYCFC and an overly narrow pitch.  There has been a similar issue in Boston forever...the Revs play at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro...which is a complete joke.  The billionaire Kraft family can't seem to pull the trigger on a real estate deal in or near downtown Boston.  If/when a soccer specific stadium is sited downtown, that will make all the difference...

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: EB2319 on July 24, 2019, 09:18:03 PM
Yankee Stadium is supposedly 110x70 - league minimum, but I recall reading an article about a visiting coach who walked it off and it was something like 106x68. In fact, I don't think the press are allowed on the field anymore for this very reason.

Looks like 68 yards from the eye test...  anytime you want to realistically guess, just use the distance of the hash mark to edge of penalty area + 64 yards

Does anyone out there believe its 3 yards on either side?  Never really looked like it to me.

Mr.Right

While I am waiting how bout Spurs this morning...That 3-0 lead included some unreal goals....

Finishing up watching Bayern just dominating Dusseldorf 4-0...I cannot believe Bayern's struggles because today they look real good

Michel Bernstini

hiyasoccer

How about this manchester derby as a warm up to the championship match? Could see a lot of goals. Good tempo to the start, love the looks of United on the counter.