WBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Andrew Wagner, July 27, 2005, 03:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMM

Time for the Titans coach to slooow Things way dowwwwn.

Just Bill

Actually, I've always thought the best way to beat a Grinnell style team is to go make layups. They are essentially giving you layups if you can beat the press. So go shoot 80 percent from the 2-feet away, and if you defend the three-point line well, they're not likely to make enough three's to make up for it.

I actually think holding the ball through the shot clock plays into their hands. You now have to beat 5 defenders to get a two-point bucket, instead of a 2-on-1 layup. You'll have a harder time scoring enough points to outweigh their three-point baskets.

Of course, if you can't beat their press, it doesn't matter what you do.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

NACfan215

If they want a good example of how to beat the system, watch the second half of the championship game between Wheaton and NC from this past weekend.  Wheaton down 12, stormed back and was up by as many as 15 or more in second half.

Solid half court defense by Wheaton, good rebounding to limit second chance points, PASS to break the press and get easy layups on other end.  it seemed like Wheaton had 2-1 or 3-2 advantages the entire second half (understanding this is how the system is set up).  Feed the ball inside, NC only has one girl with size, when she was out Wheaton hit the paint hard.  Wheaton post player had 33 points.

Should at least be a fun game to watch.

phoenix_rising

When I started reading and writing to D3 Hoops, Stout was in first place in the WIAC and Superior in last. Superior couldn't even make post-season. This year, UW-Superior's last in the WIAC, the tables have turned. It's been a nice year.

Adios, WIAC.

badgerwarhawk

It would have been interesting to see if the Superior women's team could have maintained a level of competitiveness or if the past few years were the exception.   But adios Superior. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

JMM

I think Superior is going to a good place and will fare well, though their real home will be the WIAC........

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Just Bill on March 02, 2015, 03:26:41 PM
Actually, I've always thought the best way to beat a Grinnell style team is to go make layups. They are essentially giving you layups if you can beat the press. So go shoot 80 percent from the 2-feet away, and if you defend the three-point line well, they're not likely to make enough three's to make up for it.

I actually think holding the ball through the shot clock plays into their hands. You now have to beat 5 defenders to get a two-point bucket, instead of a 2-on-1 layup. You'll have a harder time scoring enough points to outweigh their three-point baskets.

Grinnell figured out the dirty little secret about the 3 point line. If you shoot 50 percent from the field, they only need a pedestrian 33 percent from behind the arc to keep pace. They hit 40 percent from outside, you need to hit 60 percent from inside the arc. Even your 80 percent from 2 feet only requires an excellent but by no means impossible 53 percent from downtown by The System running team to keep up on the scoreboard. And this doesn't factor in what happens if you start coughing up the rock.

Roundball999

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on March 02, 2015, 09:56:20 PM

Grinnell figured out the dirty little secret about the 3 point line. If you shoot 50 percent from the field, they only need a pedestrian 33 percent from behind the arc to keep pace. They hit 40 percent from outside, you need to hit 60 percent from inside the arc. Even your 80 percent from 2 feet only requires an excellent but by no means impossible 53 percent from downtown by The System running team to keep up on the scoreboard. And this doesn't factor in what happens if you start coughing up the rock.

Sounds simple.  But in the case of North Central this year, they shot 27% from behind the arc while their opponents shot 30%, and inside the arc NC was 36% while opponents were 44%.  Opponents also outrebounded NC by 5 rpg.  Those disparities were even larger against the tougher opponents like Wheaton.  They pretty much have to have a big turnover margin to win.  I have no idea if NC would have done better with or without the system approach but as others have posted, good teams that can do a reasonable job protecting the ball and have one or more mobile bigs will find a lot of space for layups and offensive rebounds against most system teams.

Just Bill

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on March 02, 2015, 09:56:20 PM

But look at NCC women's three-point numbers. Nothing about it says their about to shoot anything approaching 50 percent. Sure it could happen, but I'll take those odds.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

JMM

Nice win for OSH. Was worried about them for awhile with all the turnovers, but they finished strong and shold be mentally ready for their next opponent. If they keep mentally tough, they can win....I think

JMM

Less than 7 months and counting.

Captain_Joe08

Quote from: JMM on March 08, 2015, 08:53:53 AM
Less than 7 months and counting.

The MIAA ended the state of Wisconsin's chance of winning a d3 title last night (UWO and WLC) last night. #feelsbadman
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

JMM

Anyone out there agree that Courtney Lewis should have been all region. My two cents is someone got it real wrong. EC finished tied #2 in WIAC because of Courtney not the other one.

badgerwarhawk

I don't know about that per se but I do agree with Sally Linzmeier and I think it's cool to see four WIAC programs represented. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

gordonmann

QuoteMy two cents is someone got it real wrong

There's bound to be disagreement and that's fine. But there's no "someone" in this case. The All-Region team is selected by the Sports Information Directors in those regions, not one or two people. So this was apparently the consensus opinion among the voters.