Started by pg04, July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesleydad

Quote from: AUKaz00 on November 15, 2016, 01:20:22 PM
Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 15, 2016, 12:57:29 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on November 15, 2016, 11:52:12 AM
Quote from: Bartman on November 15, 2016, 11:33:31 AM
Kaz,
      +k for running the poll and to the participants.....except the voter who put Hobart #10 ???, just kidding, everyone has a right to their opinion....Good luck to everyone in the playoffs this weekend.....

Actually, no, Hobart at 10 calls into question the overall poll that that person puts in.  Opinions are one thing, but have something to justify it.  I would be glad to hear how the other 9 are better than Hobart.

I agree,
Opinion is one thing for sure.....Now back it up

I probably should have asked Logan for his permission to include his ratings as the final "voter" but Pep was running up against deadline:
http://loganahansen21.wixsite.com/hansen-ratings

If that is where the 10 comes from than I have no issue with it since he uses numbers for rankings and is pretty accurate, but again I would find it hard to believe that 10 teams score out higher than Hobart in the East.

AUKaz00

Quote from: D3MAFAN on November 15, 2016, 01:31:06 PM
Quote from: AUKaz00 on November 15, 2016, 01:20:22 PM
Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 15, 2016, 12:57:29 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on November 15, 2016, 11:52:12 AM
Quote from: Bartman on November 15, 2016, 11:33:31 AM
Kaz,
      +k for running the poll and to the participants.....except the voter who put Hobart #10 ???, just kidding, everyone has a right to their opinion....Good luck to everyone in the playoffs this weekend.....

Actually, no, Hobart at 10 calls into question the overall poll that that person puts in.  Opinions are one thing, but have something to justify it.  I would be glad to hear how the other 9 are better than Hobart.
I agree,
Opinion is one thing for sure.....Now back it up

I probably should have asked Logan for his permission to include his ratings as the final "voter" but Pep was running up against deadline:
http://loganahansen21.wixsite.com/hansen-ratings

That's blasphemy using that thing in the ERFP.

Haha.  Yes, it wasn't ideal, but did give me a quick, additional set of data points.  And it may have swung a team a spot up or down, but in the case of Bart it just cost them aggregate votes; they weren't going to move up or down based on that one vote.  Port and Del Val on the other hand...
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

wesleydad

1   Alfred vs. Bridgewater St.                      Wins in OT 33-27
2   Wesley vs. #4 Stevenson                        Wins 38-17
3   Hobart   vs. (former) #1 (North) Mount Union    Loses 38-21
4   Stevenson at #2 Wesley                              Loses 38-17
5   Frostburg State vs. #7 St. John Fisher         Wins 38-14
6   Delaware Valley at #6 (South) Muhlenberg   Wins 30-27
7   St. John Fisher at #5 Frostburg State          Loses 38-14
8t  Brockport State vs. Washington & Jefferson  Loses 38-31
8t  Western New England vs. Husson                 Wins 44-27
10  St. Lawrence   End of Season

ITH radio

Seems clear to me that Wesley and Hobart are the best teams in East after yesterday. Hopefully Alfred won't flame out down the stretch.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

wesleydad

Quote from: ITH radio on November 20, 2016, 10:04:55 AM
Seems clear to me that Wesley and Hobart are the best teams in East after yesterday. Hopefully Alfred won't flame out down the stretch.

Frostburg and Del Val had nice wins also.  I hope Alfred shows better this week.  They handled Fisher so I was surprised by the score in yesterday's game.  Maybe the New England schools are better than thought?  WNEW is going to be a good game for Alfred and then, if they win, they have to beat either Mount or Hopkins which will be no easy task.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: wesleydad on November 20, 2016, 10:11:38 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on November 20, 2016, 10:04:55 AM

Frostburg and Del Val had nice wins also.  I hope Alfred shows better this week.  They handled Fisher so I was surprised by the score in yesterday's game.  Maybe the New England schools are better than thought?  WNEW is going to be a good game for Alfred and then, if they win, they have to beat either Mount or Hopkins which will be no easy task.

Recently at work I needed to do some research/work on employee evaluation and ranking systems and the pros/cons and successes/failures of different systems.  I found it interesting that many of the same issues and problems we have in employee evaluations are also problems we have in evaluating teams in polls and how they "rank" compared to other teams, especially at the end of a season.

When we see teams playing Mt. Union, we tend to rank them whether they win or lose based on this "Halo Effect" of Mt. Union, regardless of what kind of football team they may have this year.  I wonder how concepts like the Halo Effect, principle of recency, personal bias, etc effect polls in general. 

At first glance, and especially after seeing the Hobart/UMU game, I also find myself putting Hobart and Wesley up on this pedestal in the East, but I have no idea if Hobart could have beaten Bridgewater State either right?  Both Alfred and Hobart had trouble putting opponents away with big wins this year, but it is clear to me that Hobart has the ability to adjust their offense and defense to play with the best in the country, and that is impressive.

Bartman

Now that the Eastern teams have completed the season , any interest in a final poll? It could be interesting given the various playoff results. If not, no problem, I probably should be using my time better ;D
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Bartman on December 04, 2016, 10:24:31 PM
Now that the Eastern teams have completed the season , any interest in a final poll? It could be interesting given the various playoff results. If not, no problem, I probably should be using my time better ;D

I usually wait until the playoffs to decide the rankings. However, Wesley is my clear number 1 (as of today), however if MU makes the stagg and plays John Carroll in a rematch and wins by 3 scores, i'll reconsider.

Desertraider

Quote from: D3MAFAN on December 06, 2016, 08:45:54 AM

I usually wait until the playoffs to decide the rankings. However, Wesley is my clear number 1 (as of today), however if MU makes the stagg and plays John Carroll in a rematch and wins by 3 scores, i'll reconsider.

As a Mountie - that would be the greatest end to this season!
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

wesleydad

Based on how the teams played in the playoffs I think Wesley would probably beat any team in the East at this point.  But it is hard to ignore the fact that Alfred went undefeated and Wesley has 2 losses, that has not changed.  Having seen Wesley play Mount several times now I know that the game can spiral out of control real quick if you make mistakes because Mount will take advantage of them.  The Wesley defensive effort against JCU was stunning to me since they had not played anyone that tough defensively all year.  Could they duplicate that against other teams?  Not sure.  Who was the best team in the East all year, Alfred.  Who is the best team in the East at this point, Wesley.  Guess it all depends on what the end of the year poll is supposed to show.  I figure that when the Lambert trophy comes out for the East that Alfred will win it and they should.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: wesleydad on December 06, 2016, 02:05:06 PM

Based on how the teams played in the playoffs I think Wesley would probably beat any team in the East at this point.  But it is hard to ignore the fact that Alfred went undefeated and Wesley has 2 losses, that has not changed.  Having seen Wesley play Mount several times now I know that the game can spiral out of control real quick if you make mistakes because Mount will take advantage of them.  The Wesley defensive effort against JCU was stunning to me since they had not played anyone that tough defensively all year.  Could they duplicate that against other teams?  Not sure.  Who was the best team in the East all year, Alfred.  Who is the best team in the East at this point, Wesley.  Guess it all depends on what the end of the year poll is supposed to show.  I figure that when the Lambert trophy comes out for the East that Alfred will win it and they should.

It would be like Ohio State getting to the playoff rather than Penn State  :o :o :o, can't forgive the two lossess, although Wesley may have been playing better as of late.

Bartman

Wesleydad,
         I agree that Wesley was probably the best team at the end of the season, and I also agree that Alfred should get the Lambert Trophy. As far as the talent gap in D3, I have to say that it looks like there was no true elite team this year. I thought that may have been St Thomas , but they shot themselves in the foot with 8 turnovers in their final game. The OAC teams were very good, but not elite , the WIAC was down a bit because Whitewater was down(Oshkosh is very tough but not scary) and frankly while the Mount D stepped up against UMHB, it was still the same D that gave up 28,28 and 45....I think a big factor for the Mount D yesterday, was that the UMHB Oline was suspect and will be pushed around by the Wisconsin boys....the UMHB defense, however was awesome......wondering what your thoughts were since your Wesley team has had the best success in recent years.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

wesleydad

Quote from: Bartman on December 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Wesleydad,
         I agree that Wesley was probably the best team at the end of the season, and I also agree that Alfred should get the Lambert Trophy. As far as the talent gap in D3, I have to say that it looks like there was no true elite team this year. I thought that may have been St Thomas , but they shot themselves in the foot with 8 turnovers in their final game. The OAC teams were very good, but not elite , the WIAC was down a bit because Whitewater was down(Oshkosh is very tough but not scary) and frankly while the Mount D stepped up against UMHB, it was still the same D that gave up 28,28 and 45....I think a big factor for the Mount D yesterday, was that the UMHB Oline was suspect and will be pushed around by the Wisconsin boys....the UMHB defense, however was awesome......wondering what your thoughts were since your Wesley team has had the best success in recent years.

Bartman, as I watched yesterday's games I got the same feeling.  How far away is Wesley from Oshkosh?  The games were basically the same, low scoring and some nice plays by the defense to keep it that way.  How far away are the East teams that played Mount from UMHB?  Mount was able to stop the vaunted UMHB offense, but could not stop Alfred's which if we were asked would have figured to be a step below UMHB's.  UMHB got 3 turnovers and only scored 14, 7 on a fluke TD.  Based on that I think the gap is closing and maybe 12 - 15 teams can compete with the big boys.  Most of us Wesley fans thought this year's team was a step below the last few years teams, but were a blocked field goal away from going to the quarters and facing a beatable UWW team.  After that who knows.  If not for some great plays by the Oshkosh D backs yesterday JCU would have scored a couple more TD's.  Was Mount down? UWW? Linfield? etc. or maybe the 8 - 15 ranked teams have made a step closer and can now make a game of it.  I hope so, because this year's playoffs were much more fun than the past few years have been.

Bartman

Quote from: wesleydad on December 11, 2016, 10:56:25 AM
Quote from: Bartman on December 11, 2016, 10:36:12 AM

Wesleydad,

Bartman, as I watched yesterday's games I got the same feeling.  How far away is Wesley from Oshkosh?  The games were basically the same, low scoring and some nice plays by the defense to keep it that way.  How far away are the East teams that played Mount from UMHB?  Mount was able to stop the vaunted UMHB offense, but could not stop Alfred's which if we were asked would have figured to be a step below UMHB's.  UMHB got 3 turnovers and only scored 14, 7 on a fluke TD.  Based on that I think the gap is closing and maybe 12 - 15 teams can compete with the big boys.  Most of us Wesley fans thought this year's team was a step below the last few years teams, but were a blocked field goal away from going to the quarters and facing a beatable UWW team.  After that who knows.  If not for some great plays by the Oshkosh D backs yesterday JCU would have scored a couple more TD's.  Was Mount down? UWW? Linfield? etc. or maybe the 8 - 15 ranked teams have made a step closer and can now make a game of it.  I hope so, because this year's playoffs were much more fun than the past few years have been.
Thanks for your take, it was better to see more competitive playoff games this year, for sure. It is ironic that the top East leagues felt they were a bit down this year but certainly gave the top OAC teams a battle...especially Wesley in the JCU game.....winning would be more convincing, of course.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bartman

Final D3.com poll:(preseason in ( ) )

12 Alfred(53)
15Wesley(7)
19 Hobart(29)
20 Stevenson(30)
22 Western NE(NR)
23 Frosty(NR)
24 SLU(34)
25 SJFisher(31)
Getting Votes:
31 Trinity(NR)
34 Bridgewater St.(NR)
38 Del Valley(25))
39 Husson(NR)
40 Salisbury(23)

Preseason top 25-No Votes end of season
Albright(16)
Cortland(17)

That makes it 5 East teams in preseason Top 25 and 8 in the end of season poll...a good season for the region
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath