MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thescottharris

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 19, 2019, 12:30:27 PM
Quote from: scotth on March 15, 2019, 06:24:06 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 15, 2019, 11:09:08 AM
scotth

hope Tony Shaver was on that list; just saying. Can't see him hanging around Williamsburg after W&M dumped him.

No he was not. He would likely command a salary higher than H-SC would be able to pay anyways. The finalists were picked before he was even fired.
That doesn't mean things can't change. Muhlenberg had it's finalists in place and all on campus - decision about to come - when Hopkins was suddenly added to the mix and he got the job. W&L had it's mind set on who they were going to hire, from what I was told, before the hiring process revealed other candidates like McHugh appeared on the radar.

Hiring Shaver at HSC isn't the craziest thing I would have heard happen. It may not happen and there are good reasons from Shaver's point of view, but it was also one of the first things I thought could happen when I saw he was fired.

I also think this is an example of why schools need to slow down on their hiring processes. HSC already having finalists and maybe set to announce a new hire before the DIII season is officially over - or the D1 regular season coming to a close - seems too rushed in my opinion. There are a number of good candidates who are not available to visit or interview as of yet. There is nothing wrong with waiting a few more weeks to make sure you get the right hire from the right candidate pool. Any hires made before the start of April (or even mid-April) seems too soon for me ... and doesn't always produce solid results in the long-term.
Wasn't the Final Four this weekend? I thought that marked the end of the season? The three finalists are pretty strong, one perhaps less so than the others and I think that one would be a distant third choice when all is said and done (pure speculation on my part, not something anyone involved in the hiring/interviewing process has told me). Alas, still a strong group. I have my preference of the three, but two of them I would be happy with, the other one I'd be cautiously optimistic about. The one that is my preference I was actually pleasantly surprised was in the mix.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not following you, scotth ... yes the final four in DIII was this past weekend, but HSC already had finalists on campus as I understand it before the final four. They could announce at any point.

Furthermore, D1 is still in session and the official NABC Convention is not for a few more weeks (at the D1 Final Four) and that is where a lot of coaching conversations takes place.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tigerFanAlso2

I'm nervous about this hire. If HSC does not get this right HSC basketball might never return to its glory days. HSC has been bad for quite awhile, fallen from one of the best in ODAC to one of the worse quickly under past leadership. Right person needs to sit in the seat.

thescottharris

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 20, 2019, 12:01:18 AM
Not following you, scotth ... yes the final four in DIII was this past weekend, but HSC already had finalists on campus as I understand it before the final four. They could announce at any point.

Furthermore, D1 is still in session and the official NABC Convention is not for a few more weeks (at the D1 Final Four) and that is where a lot of coaching conversations takes place.
No, on-campus interviews started this week. Phone interviews were last week to determine the finalists.

thescottharris

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 20, 2019, 01:26:03 PM
I'm nervous about this hire. If HSC does not get this right HSC basketball might never return to its glory days. HSC has been bad for quite awhile, fallen from one of the best in ODAC to one of the worse quickly under past leadership. Right person needs to sit in the seat.
The glory days aren't coming back without changes made to other areas of campus that are beyond the athletic department's control. There's a reason why just about every sport has deteriorated from where they were just a few years ago.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 20, 2019, 01:26:03 PM
I personally hope HSC gets a good coach and returns to prominence.  It just isn't the ODAC when a game vs the Tigers is considered almost a sure win.  It hurts the crowd enthusiasm, the gate and the rivalries.  The ODAC needs you to be competitive!

tigerFanAlso2

scotth

are you at liberty to explain what is going on w/I administration that is adversely effecting the athletic program, because you are correct, our teams are not nearly as competitive as they once were, I'm mainly speak to football & basketball.

Hasa

not sure why HSC is where it is athletically, but as a fan it is hard to accept the fact that HSC finishes last or near last in the conference the past two or three years. something is wrong and as a supporter and donor I think the administration needs to explain. if expectations need to be lowered so be it, but at least explain why. I remember the days before Marty Favret arrived; there would not be 500 people in attendance, which is bad for fund raising, etc., must have programs that are competitive that will attract grads back to campus. For now I'm done with it. I hope the college gives me a reason to continue my support of athletics. And trust me, I am not the only one thinking this way.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Speculation, made public by another entity, has the following names in the mix for the HSC job:

Austin Shaver
Aaron Toomey
Caleb Kimbrough
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

tigerFanAlso2

never heard of Kimbrough nor Toomey. Help me out. Who are these guys ?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 21, 2019, 02:10:37 PM

Oh I really hope you are being sarcastic. Maybe you aren't ... but I am really hoping. :)

jknezek

Toomey is an Amherst assistant and was one of the best players Amherst has ever had. Kimbrough is head coach at Huntingdon here in AL. He was a Guilford Assistant for a quite a while prior to becoming hc at Huntingdon.

tigerFanAlso2

I'm not kidding nor to I follow b'ball very closely. Thanks for the explanation JK.
I'll take the guy from Amherst !!!!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jknezek on March 21, 2019, 02:38:01 PM

Toomey is an Amherst assistant and was one of the best players Amherst has ever had. Kimbrough is head coach at Huntingdon here in AL. He was a Guilford Assistant for a quite a while prior to becoming hc at Huntingdon.

Kimbrough was also a stud at Guilford and in the ODAC in his career.

Toomey was a stud in his Amherst career as well. One of the best players in the country.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 21, 2019, 03:38:12 PM
I'm not kidding nor to I follow b'ball very closely. Thanks for the explanation JK.

Eh. W&L had an Amherst guy for a long time. He wasn't bad but didn't really move the needle. Pedigree isn't everything. But I have no idea on these guys, or any other in DIII basketball. I just knew the names.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jknezek on March 21, 2019, 04:00:40 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 21, 2019, 03:38:12 PM

Eh. W&L had an Amherst guy for a long time. He wasn't bad but didn't really move the needle. Pedigree isn't everything. But I have no idea on these guys, or any other in DIII basketball. I just knew the names.

Doesn't mean each guy is equal. There are so many factors including an institution's interest in moving the needle themselves.