WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bballlover

Piedmont had it seemingly under control in the second quarter and then went ice cold. They can't let that happen at Maryville if they hope to have a chance.

scottiedoug

Let's hope it stays too cold for Lions.

bballlover

Ahh come on now. If the Lionesses can take care of business tonight everyone will have a chance to visit the beautiful little town of Demorest. Why would anyone want to go to Maryville ? Been there done that.

scottiedoug

Well, if Maryville does not pay close attention at Covenant and Piedmont wins out....   I expect the latter but think the Maryville seniors will not mess this up.   That was a very good game.  I see why the Lions have had such a good year.  They play hard and smart and clearly are well coached and motivated.  A rematch would be entertaining.

bballlover

Piedmont needed to take a second quarter mulligan. Eight minutes without scoring is not going to cut it. Hope they see each other again. They seem to be the best two teams.

scottiedoug

Maryville did the conference proud by defeating the winners of two conferences to advance to the NCAA Sweet 16 for the first time since the 1990s.  Too bad the prize is to play Thomas More, with its 62 game winning streak on their floor.  No good deed goes unpunished.

scottiedoug

Thomas More won the national championship again.  Maryville got bounced by the best team in D3.  Great year for the Scots!

scottiedoug

Does anyone but me think the greatly expanded USASouth makes no sense for scheduling? 18 women's basketball teams, going on 19.  If it is about travel time and distances, the conference should just say so and not pretend otherwise.

gordonmann

Scottie:

I assume you read our interview with Commissioner Wiggs posted off the front page but, if not, it's worth a look. It sounds like the conference is going to split into two divisions next year with eight teams on each side. It'll increase to 10/9 split in 2017-18.

My guess (and it's only that) is that each team plays the others from its division twice .  Then they'll try to find the right number of cross over games where teams play across divisional boundaries in games that count in the conference standings. But each team won't play all the others from the other division.

Depending on how many cross over games are scheduled as conference contests, there will still be room for non-conference games. Those inclined to fill those slots by leaving the area will be able to do so, while those who'd rather stay close to home can play teams from the other division can do so as non-conference games.

So in a totally hypothetical scenario...

* Team A is in the eight-team North Division this year. They play each team in their division twice (14 games) and four scheduled crossover games against teams from the South Division (18 total conference games).

* Team A then has 7 non-conference slots to fill. They could play more teams from the South Division or the same South Division teams a second time, to fill some of those slots. Those games wouldn't count in conference.  Or Team A could play someone outside the conference or region entirely.

* In 2017-18 the Conference could adjust the number of scheduled cross over games to accommodate the addition of Berea, Brevard and Pfeiffer.

I think there's enough flexibility to make it work.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: scottiedoug on May 16, 2016, 09:59:24 AM
Does anyone but me think the greatly expanded USASouth makes no sense for scheduling? 18 women's basketball teams, going on 19.  If it is about travel time and distances, the conference should just say so and not pretend otherwise.
I am ready for the USASouth split back into North and South conferences. 

Can you imagine Agnes Scott or Wesleyan GA ever adding men? (I cannot.)

But Faulkner? Point?

Have Football affiliates from the South Conference to the "North" (USASouth) Pool A and make the split.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: gordonmann on May 16, 2016, 11:38:36 AM
Scottie:

I assume you read our interview with Commissioner Wiggs posted off the front page but, if not, it's worth a look. It sounds like the conference is going to split into two divisions next year with eight teams on each side. It'll increase to 10/9 split in 2017-18.

My guess (and it's only that) is that each team plays the others from its division twice .  Then they'll try to find the right number of cross over games where teams play across divisional boundaries in games that count in the conference standings. But each team won't play all the others from the other division.

Depending on how many cross over games are scheduled as conference contests, there will still be room for non-conference games. Those inclined to fill those slots by leaving the area will be able to do so, while those who'd rather stay close to home can play teams from the other division can do so as non-conference games.

So in a totally hypothetical scenario...

* Team A is in the eight-team North Division this year. They play each team in their division twice (14 games) and four scheduled crossover games against teams from the South Division (18 total conference games).

* Team A then has 7 non-conference slots to fill. They could play more teams from the South Division or the same South Division teams a second time, to fill some of those slots. Those games wouldn't count in conference.  Or Team A could play someone outside the conference or region entirely.

* In 2017-18 the Conference could adjust the number of scheduled cross over games to accommodate the addition of Berea, Brevard and Pfeiffer.

I think there's enough flexibility to make it work.
ASC did this in the early 2000's.

scottiedoug

Ralph Turner

Quote from: scottiedoug on May 23, 2016, 10:29:32 AM
And how was it, Ralph?
The Division championship was something to hang a banner for.

The tourney was 4 and then 8 teams.

We were getting access to the NCAA's which has always been a steep price of admission.

(We kinda feel like red-headed step-children in the ASC.)

I wish that the NCAA had permitted us to "MAC-ify" like the Middle Atlantic Conference did in the last decade.

Maybe this is the step that the USA South takes before it does split.  You might only need 1-2 more men's schools to split and then keep the affiliate in those sports that you need.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ralph - no chance to get the same treatment as the MAC... they have been two conferences for as long as I can remember ... and possibly far longer. Also, the NCAA has cracked down on the MAC to make it more like two difference conferences than two divisions - more and more steps are taken to make that a reality to the point that the future of the MAC is always in question (frustrated schools and other things). But no conference in the country has ever had two actual conferences inside of it's make-up with two AQs (when AQs were a little easier to acquire), so wishing the NCAA would treat another conference like the MAC is more than wishful thinking. MAC has been grandfathered into many things, but they have also been told to change their model quite a bit to fit more into what the rules of Division III really are.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

The MAC split into Commonwealth and Freedom in 2000-2001.