Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

it really is dumb. So many at least quasi-useful possible OOC opponents within a few hours of campus. Oneonta, Geneseo, Lyco, Naz, Fisher, Scranton...but no, let's keep playing paste-eaters like Elmira, who we joined the LL specifically to get away from.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Caz Bombers on November 05, 2018, 09:21:08 PM...but no, let's keep playing paste-eaters like Elmira, who we joined the LL specifically to get away from.

LOL, now this brings back a few memories.  Now, when did the glue stick replace paste in kindergarten anyway?

Saint of Old

I think it might be a good time for  the LL coaches to get together and figure out why they are a one bid league and ways in which they could remedy this situation.
Many great points have been made as to why the league has not received at large bids, the best I think was the sub par record of LL teams when they do dance in terms of making deep runs.

While this point sounds convincing, it has flaws as each season should be judged on its own merits and what this particular senior class and team have done this year.
Also using the past to make predictions is unfair as it cheats THIS CURRENT team of their chance to make their own history and improve upon the past teams accomplishments.

After more thought, I still think that Ithaca should have received a bid.

I also think that had they not received a bid, Williams, Rochester, etc would be very upset.
If I were an Oneonta supporter I would also be upset.
The point is, the only way to be sure is to not leave it up to someone else's view of your quality.

Good news is that Ithaca know they are a very good team and will want to come back even more determined to make things right.
The LL is a very very tough league, and to make it to the final in their second year is extremely impressive.

deutschfan

Don't want to beat a dead bomber but...  Hero Sports has the LL with the 4th highest ranking behind UAA, NESCAC and NEWMAC.  They forgot to put SLU in the LL or we could be third, and without Bard definitely would be.  MIAC, and Centennial, lower ranked conferences, receive 4 and 3 bids respectively.  NEWMAC only received 1 as well. If there is any credibility to Hero's methodology, the favoritism shown some leagues this year is stark.  Now it didn't help that SLU was the highest ranked team and won the tourney.  If SLU loses in PKs we have two bids.   If either Hobart or RPI show pre-season we have multiple bids.  Maybe this is payback for the two years that the NCAA gifted bids to LL teams that didn't make the conference tournament.  Doubtful but one good injustice deserves another.  Anyway, Ithaca took it in the shorts and I am hopeful that SLU makes a run.  They were done no favors by the committee going to Rochester, although UR is a team they should regularly schedule.  In fact all the LL coaches should solicit more games with UAA and NESCAC teams.    SLU graduates a bunch of key players making RPI and Ithaca early favorites for next year.  Interestingly, the teams with the two of the largest rosters made the finals.  The Hobart horde model marches on.  Not to be redundant with an earlier comment about recruiting but the LL becomes a very hard sell with huge rosters and few bids.       

CU_GKnight

Saint – it seems like you and I are thinking about this in similar ways.  I would like to throw out a general question for thought to everyone.

I completely agree that each TEAM's performance should not carry from season to season as the team changes each season.  However, I think there may be some merit to considering the CONFERENCE's performance in the recent past, especially as a means of equating things that aren't easily compared.  It seems to make sense that if the goal is to put the best teams in the tourney then past performance by the conference may have merit. 

If you look at a conference like the Skyline who gets their AQ (and no consideration for Pool C beyond that) and promptly gets destroyed by a top seed resting its starters in the tourney. If a Skyline team had an undefeated regular season champion that lost in a shootout of their conference championship I don't see any value in looking to them as a Pool C as their conference has never shown itself to be competitive in the tourney.

On the opposite side of the coin, a conference like the NESCAC has shown that they have the ability to go deep with several different teams, so I would think that this track record should be considered if you want to put the best tournament field together.

I don't know much about St. Norberts, and I do hear what GreenKnight is saying, but at the end of the day I think it is valid to look to how their conference has fared in the past when stacked up against tournament caliber teams.  The quality of conferences does fluctuate from year to year, but I don't think they change that quickly.  So, if their conference is 0-10 in the tournament (I have no idea what the record is and don't have time for research) over the past decade then I would say that past performance has shown that having a high win% hasn't translated to tournament success.  However, a team like Williams (or other NESCACs) usually has a lower win% but a lot of success in the tournament historically.  If that were the case I would defer to the team from the conference that has shown the ability to win games against tournament caliber teams.

I think at the end of the day I can see merit to using the relative success of conferences in previous tournaments as a barometer of how they are likely to perform if given a chance in the current season and when comparing teams with much different resumes.  What do others think about this rationale?

stlawus

SLU does want to play UR more regularly but UR always throws a fit over scheduling games back to back.

Saint of Old

Very happy for the SLU #6 and his selection as a first team All American.
The man is an all time Saint.
He came in as a replacement for a great #6 Seyfe Broak and improved upon near perfection in the position.During his 4 years in the league, he was one of the best #6, 7, and 8 and sometimes 10.
His will be big shoes to fill, as will 7,14,4,24,29 and the other seniors, including a goal keeper who helped the program get over its penalty shootout jinx.

Also big shout out to the Ithaca #1 who was selected a deserved AA.

Mr.Right

Hey Saint,

Any Saints playing Pro? Semi-Pro right now??

Saint of Old

A few from back in the late 90s early 00s were in the pro ranks.

Our big goalie was in the MLS for quite a while.

I think a recent(ish) number #10 who hails from MA was playing pro in Germany as well.

Really hoping that 6 and 7 or others from this years squad pursues a pro career.

urprisingly, guys who played with me who I thought would make good pros didnt choose it and vice versa...
Gotta just gve these things a shot while you can.

Mr.Right

Agreed....So DeMello is still playing? I was hoping you would say that because the kid was a stud and he was one player I always felt bad for with that injury in 2012 in his Senior year...Really liked his game....How bout Ryan Caruth? Did he ever play....I can think of a few others...Cannot remember the kids name but the tall blond striker who was nasty...anyhow

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on December 02, 2018, 11:33:03 AM
Agreed....So DeMello is still playing? I was hoping you would say that because the kid was a stud and he was one player I always felt bad for with that injury in 2012 in his Senior year...Really liked his game....How bout Ryan Caruth? Did he ever play....I can think of a few others...Cannot remember the kids name but the tall blond striker who was nasty...anyhow

Spoke to DeMello's dad about a year ago and he was playing in a lower professional division in Europe.

With regard to the blond striker, are you thinking of Brendan Gorman or someone who played earlier than he?  If Gorman, he did the ACL twice during his SLU career, and I don't think he returned after the second one.  Prior to that, he was playing PDL in the summer for Ottawa Fury.

Saint of Old

Gorman and Mello actually played together at SLU.
Very strong combination...
Unfortunately one or both of them kept getting hurt.

Carruth was another player who had his career cut short by injuries.
He had a short pro career before recurring injuries (that started from SLU) cut it short.

Mr.Right

I know Gorman was a nasty player but no I am talking about a striker that played at SLU probably after Saint and before Caruth...I cannot remember his name for the life of me...I also could have my time periods screwed up. Yes I know none of that was very helpful...

Saint of Old

You are referencing the Enigma wrapped in a puzzle that transferred from UConn.
#14 during Carruth's era, very good player.
Played his HS ball at Choate as well.
Good finisher, very speedy kid.