MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algernon

Congratulations to the Yellow Jackets! 

It's been about 2 years and 2 months since an ODAC team was #1 in the country.  On December 17, 2012, Virginia Wesleyan was #1, but then they lost their next 4 consecutive games.

rmc1982

"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

y_jack_lok

Quote from: rmc1982 on February 16, 2015, 10:12:14 PM
Quote from: CMR on February 16, 2015, 07:10:24 PM
RMC is #1
Hope it isn't the Kiss of Death....:-)

Whatever else it may or may not be it is an honor. Of course all Jacket fans want the team to keep winning games, but nothing can take away from what the players and coaches have accomplished to this point.

HSCDad

Great honor for RMC and for ODAC - a conference known for knocking each other off.

2RMCFans

Congrats also to VWC at #10. 

Pretty sure the Jackets aren't even thinking about their ranking.  They're thinking about tomorrow night's game-- it's Senior Night.  Coach Davis & their parents will keep them grounded this week. 

GO JACKETS!!!!

algernon

Quote from: algernon on February 16, 2015, 09:19:41 PM
Congratulations to the Yellow Jackets! 

It's been about 2 years and 2 months since an ODAC team was #1 in the country.  On December 17, 2012, Virginia Wesleyan was #1, but then they lost their next 4 consecutive games.

The Marlins were #1 in 3 successive polls before the lost 4 in a row, so the Yellow Jackets will be in good shape if they follow the same pattern.

More seriously now, I'll note that an early December poll is a very different thing than a late February poll!

hasanova

Quote from: algernon on February 16, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
Quote from: hasanova on February 16, 2015, 09:59:58 AM
Looking at the ODAC standings, RMC has the #1 seed locked up and VWC and GC will be #2 or #3 with order still to be decided.  After that, who knows?  Even if GC and EMU both finish at 10-6, GC has the head-to-head tiebreaker for 3rd.  Who wants #4?

HSC seems highly unlikely to be #4, given that they are a game behind EMU .... and EMU wins the tie-breaker on the basis of their Double Overtime win when they played at HSC on 1/17.  I also think that EMU will end up winning the tie-breaker over Lynchburg, based on the point system, so I'd bet on EMU at #4.

I expect that HSC will be the #5 .... although the Tigers could fall behind Lynchburg to #6.  Would love to see the Quakers beat the Hornets on Wednesday, Hasanova.  Can you arrange that?The Tigers will probably host either Emory and Henry or Shenandoah in the ODAC Tournament opening round game on Monday the 23rd (one week from today).  If they win that one, then they'll play the quarterfinals in Salem on Thursday the 26th, either as the #5 seed at 3pm against the #4 seed (likely EMU) or as the #6 seed at 8pm against the #3 seed -- either Virginia Wesleyan or Guilford.
I wish!  Going to LC tomorrow night has me worried ... the Quakers topped the Hornets 61-56 earlier in Greensboro, but this game could go either way.

hasanova

Quote from: HSCDad on February 16, 2015, 11:40:55 PM
Great honor for RMC and for ODAC - a conference known for knocking each other off.
Yes, congratulations to RMC!  When GC reached #1 in 2010, they promptly lost their next game at home to EMU! 

rmc1982

Quote from: y_jack_lok on February 16, 2015, 10:19:35 PM
RMC is #1

Whatever else it may or may not be it is an honor. Of course all Jacket fans want the team to keep winning games, but nothing can take away from what the players and coaches have accomplished to this point.
y_jack_lok- you're absolutely right! It's ALWAYS an honor when one of ours makes it this high.... It honestly might be good for us to lose 1! Just to take the pressure off..... unfortunately  I doubt it will be senior night so the only other game Is at the Wasps on saturday....I would hate to lose in the 1st round of the tournament.... it would hurt our chances to host. ....at any rate -CONGRATS to our Jackets! !!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

y_jack_lok

Quote from: rmc1982 on February 17, 2015, 09:11:47 AM
RMC is #1

y_jack_lok- you're absolutely right! It's ALWAYS an honor when one of ours makes it this high.... It honestly might be good for us to lose 1! Just to take the pressure off..... unfortunately  I doubt it will be senior night so the only other game Is at the Wasps on saturday....I would hate to lose in the 1st round of the tournament.... it would hurt our chances to host. ....at any rate -CONGRATS to our Jackets! !!

The Jackets got to host last year and look what happened.

algernon

Quote from: rmc1982 on February 17, 2015, 09:11:47 AM
RMC is #1

The #6 Yellow Jackets (18-2 ODAC, 22-3 Overall) were the #1 seed in the 2004 ODAC Tournament and they lost to #8 Lynchburg in the first round.  They still got to host a First Round NCAA game on Thursday evening, but they had to travel to Maryville for the Second Round.  So, given the current setup of four teams playing in one pod for the first and second rounds on Friday/Saturday, I think your concern is well-founded. 

Not much chance that the Yellow Jackets will lose in the first round, but it's always possible .... so it would be better to lose to (former Tiger and 2003 Final Four player) David Willson's Wasps on Saturday .... ;)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are still two first-round byes/second round solo games in the NCAA tournament, FYI.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 17, 2015, 12:24:11 PM
There are still two first-round byes/second round solo games in the NCAA tournament, FYI.

That would be nice should R-MC win out and win the ODAC tournament. Of course it is the NCAA, not d3hoops, that decides these things and those NCAA guys seem particularly hard to figure out.

hscathletics

Quote from: algernon on February 17, 2015, 11:24:03 AM
The #6 Yellow Jackets (18-2 ODAC, 22-3 Overall) were the #1 seed in the 2004 ODAC Tournament and they lost to #8 Lynchburg in the first round.
(Speaking as Scott Harris and not HSC Athletics) I was a manager for that Lynchburg squad :)