Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 04, 2018, 06:35:40 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 03, 2018, 12:33:14 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on October 03, 2018, 09:45:54 AM
Where does Yeshiva fit in?  Bascially everyone back and the incoming frosh Ryan Turell is one of the most acclaimed to come into D3 that I can recall (in the Kent Raymond / Duncan Robinson / Aaron Toomey catetgory in terms of hype, though who knows if he will be that good) ... if he is the real deal, they should be very interesting.

My worthless opinion is that they won't sniff the Top 25 unless they put together an unbeaten run before the new year. They were only 3rd in the Skyline and although they did make the NCAAs, they were beaten pretty handedly. Last year, they lost to Ramapo and Williams by large margins, so they would probably have to beat both this year to turn some heads. Farmingdale only loses one starter, so they may win the SKY again, and I'm pretty sure Farmingdale didn't see any Top 25 votes.

I was there in person.  A lot will depend on the roster, but their top four guys from last year were more than legit - pretty quick drop off after that.  The coach has been recruiting hard nationally - including bringing in a very good freshman from California.  He told me last year, if this kid showed up, he'd be the best player on the team day 1.  A lot of ifs, but if he's there, everyone is back, and they've added some depth, that team is at least in the conversation.  Maybe  not preseason - and you're right, teams from weak conferences do tend to have to prove themselves on the court, but they're potentially nobody to be messed with.  We'll know a decent amount early, since they host Williams around Thanksgiving.

From what I've been told ... they got that kid. Just a matter of whether their top player from last year will be back.

They do have a chance to turn some heads. Their out of conference includes Williams, Ramapo, and Brandeis (I think off the top of my head).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 04, 2018, 02:02:01 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 04, 2018, 06:35:40 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 03, 2018, 12:33:14 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on October 03, 2018, 09:45:54 AM
Where does Yeshiva fit in?  Bascially everyone back and the incoming frosh Ryan Turell is one of the most acclaimed to come into D3 that I can recall (in the Kent Raymond / Duncan Robinson / Aaron Toomey catetgory in terms of hype, though who knows if he will be that good) ... if he is the real deal, they should be very interesting.

My worthless opinion is that they won't sniff the Top 25 unless they put together an unbeaten run before the new year. They were only 3rd in the Skyline and although they did make the NCAAs, they were beaten pretty handedly. Last year, they lost to Ramapo and Williams by large margins, so they would probably have to beat both this year to turn some heads. Farmingdale only loses one starter, so they may win the SKY again, and I'm pretty sure Farmingdale didn't see any Top 25 votes.

I was there in person.  A lot will depend on the roster, but their top four guys from last year were more than legit - pretty quick drop off after that.  The coach has been recruiting hard nationally - including bringing in a very good freshman from California.  He told me last year, if this kid showed up, he'd be the best player on the team day 1.  A lot of ifs, but if he's there, everyone is back, and they've added some depth, that team is at least in the conversation.  Maybe  not preseason - and you're right, teams from weak conferences do tend to have to prove themselves on the court, but they're potentially nobody to be messed with.  We'll know a decent amount early, since they host Williams around Thanksgiving.

From what I've been told ... they got that kid. Just a matter of whether their top player from last year will be back.

They do have a chance to turn some heads. Their out of conference includes Williams, Ramapo, and Brandeis (I think off the top of my head).

They did get him.  I just didn't want to presume any freshmen would actually be as good as the coach says he'll be.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BluesBrother

Don't snooze on the Blues! Whitman graduated Howell but they have the rest of last year's very strong team back, plus Wiggins and Harrison returning from injury, and  they added transfers Andrew Vickers (2nd team all NWC) and Michael Gutierrez (2nd team all MIAC) and some good-looking freshmen. They're probably better than last year's team.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: BluesBrother on October 11, 2018, 12:50:10 AM
Don't snooze on the Blues! Whitman graduated Howell but they have the rest of last year's very strong team back, plus Wiggins and Harrison returning from injury, and  they added transfers Andrew Vickers (2nd team all NWC) and Michael Gutierrez (2nd team all MIAC) and some good-looking freshmen. They're probably better than last year's team.

Is anyone snoozing on Whitman?  I think they've got ten guys who'd challenge for starting spots on every team in the country - just an incredibly impressive roster.  I hope Bridgeland can get everyone on the same page, because it just feels like a really special team to watch.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

nescac1

Wow, that's crazy re: Whitman.  Perhaps the only downside would be too MUCH talent with so many guys who are capable of being (and in many cases have already been) the number 1 or number 2 option who will be 4-10 in the rotation.  I know Whitman tends to play guys short minutes so everyone will get some time, but some guys may still feel underutilized.  But that's a nice problem to have and I think basically any coach would gladly trade places!  Whitworth also seems much stronger on paper this year so there should be some titanic showdowns (as usual) between those two out West. 

In general, the top 10-12 teams in D3 looks as deep on paper as any in recent memory in my view.  Williams, Hamilton, and MIT were three of the top teams in the Northeast and all should be significantly improved.  Augustana looks loaded yet again.  Swarthmore and Johns Hopkins should be about as good or better in the mid-Atlantic.  The WIAC seems much stronger at the top this year than last, with three really loaded teams, and it was pretty darn strong last year.  And of course the national champion loses only one guy.  Part of what makes this year intriguing is how many teams who are already pretty stacked return guys who missed most or all of last year - the two Whitman guys, Scadlock at Williams, Wofford at Augustana, Bublitz at Stevens Point.  Also Bradley Jomard was never at full strength in the post-season for MIT.  While Springfield loses a few key guys, they also get back last year's top recruit, who missed the entire season with an injury.

Titan Q

The D3hoops.com Preseason Top 25 comes out today.

WUPHF

I did not expect a Rochester team that went 16-9 last season to end up two spots outside the Top 25.  They do return all but one player who featured heavily in the rotation.  But, they were not in the final rankings.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Pat,

When can we expect the women's poll?

Pat Coleman

Either end of next week or beginning of the following.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jekelish

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 11, 2018, 03:38:11 PM

Purely out of curiosity Pat, why such a big gap between the two?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jekelish on October 11, 2018, 03:51:14 PM

To give each of the polls their just due is one reason.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 11, 2018, 03:52:02 PM
Quote from: jekelish on October 11, 2018, 03:51:14 PM

To give each of the polls their just due is one reason.

Yes, and it's not unusual for us, either. It's a big undertaking to collect all of this information and get it out and in the years where one person was managing both polls (which is *every* year until this year), it was really difficult to do two preseason polls well at the same time.

WUPHF