MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Francesconi was huge for Mount in OT.  It's the tallest of orders trying to win at Ban Johnson, but what the heck...if they somehow found a way they're playing for the title in Alliance!  Parity ruled this season.

Dr. Acula

Terry Pluto wrote a nice story about Moran retiring.  I especially liked the question about Moran possibly doing individual instruction (which pays $70-100/hr) and Moran laughing it off that he doesn't have anything to say that's worth $100.  Classic.  You have to love guys like that.

Mike Moran story

Gregory Sager

Quote"How long have you and JoAnne been married?" I ask.

"Let's see," he said. "Forty-some years. . . why are you doing this to me?"

LOL!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dr. Acula

Mount played Etta pretty tough, but it's getting away from them in the last 3 minutes.  What was a single digit game with 3:37 left is now pushed out to 20.  Turnovers and hot shooting are a bad combo.  RaNeal Ewing is trying to score his age...he has 28.   ;D  (It's nowhere near as much fun to make those old guy jokes about anyone besides Dr. Pentello at Cap)

Dr. Acula

100-78 final.  The Pios scorched the nets to the tune of 59% from the field.  Good grief.  Tough to win in that gym when the home team shoots like that.  Way to put the pedal to the metal and put that thing away down the stretch.

Dr. Acula

Congratulations to DeAllen Jackson.  OAC POY.  He had a great senior season and will be missed!

As for the season as a whole?  Before the year I would have said this end result would have been disappointing.  I really thought they should have been right there with JCU behind Etta.  But having watched them numerous times they just weren't quite at that level.  I don't think it's that they underachieved, but more I had misjudged a little.  Their defense was not good enough and their offense outside of Jackson lacked consistency sometimes.  The good news is they have literally everyone back next year outside of Jackson.  If Bower-Malone, Friga, Niamke, Foreman, etc. develop they should be very deep when you pair them with Kukura, Mason, Stenger, Griffin (the vets who will play a lot).   

Fifth and Putnam

Marietta still carrying the torch for the OAC into the Sweet 16 with dominating wins over Calvin and Guilford.

The Pioneers will host Rochester, Whitman, and Hardin-Simmons this weekend at Ban Johnson.

Dr. Acula

You can't hate hosting another game or two beyond the first weekend of the tournament.  That definitely means you're having a great season.  Good luck to the Pios!  Keep it going.  Ban Johnson will be rocking.

Dr. Acula

I'm always skeptical when a son takes over for his dad.  Your first HC gig is tough, let alone in the shadow of a successful father. For the record this also included when Vince took over for Larry Kehres.  I'd be curious to know who else was in the running for the JCU job.

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 24, 2017, 08:58:59 AM
I'm always skeptical when a son takes over for his dad.  Your first HC gig is tough, let alone in the shadow of a successful father. For the record this also included when Vince took over for Larry Kehres.  I'd be curious to know who else was in the running for the JCU job.

I agree.  I never had the names confirmed by anyone with direct knowledge but these are the names we heard throughout the process:

Pete Moran
Babe Kwasniak - head coach at  Villa Angela-St. Joseph HS
Eric Flannery - head coach at St. Edward HS
David Pfundstein - head coach at Gilmour Academy
Artie Taylor -- former head coach at Ohio Dominican and head coach at The Wellington School

I find it heard to believe that Pete was the first choice simply because of the length of the search.  If they wanted to give it to him in November, they could have done that but they didn't.  If they wanted to give the illusion of a search, they could have given it to him in mid-March but they didn't.  The fact this happened six weeks after the final game and AFTER the OHSAA season ended tells me they went down several other paths before coming back to Pete.

gordonmann

No college coaches other than Pete Moran?

Is that usuual?

Fifth and Putnam

Rumors I heard were that a fellow Great Lakes member head coach was interviewed along with a Division I assistant.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: gordonmann on April 25, 2017, 04:08:04 PM

Is that usuual?

Current college coaches, you mean. Artie Taylor spent six years as the head coach of Ohio Dominican. He was the man in charge when that program transitioned from NAIA to D2. He was also Bill Brown's second chair at Wittenberg when the Tigers were a national power back in the middle of the last decade.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: gordonmann on April 25, 2017, 04:08:04 PM

Is that usuual?

Gordon - I tried to point out that what I heard what far from official and probably only slightly better than flat-out rumors.  There may have been others interviewed and, for all I know, none of the names I heard were interviewed (other than Pete). 

The D1 assistant rumor that Fifth is reporting makes sense as that always seems to be the direction that the AD does as she has a big school/D1 pedigree. 

I also heard a rumor of a GL head coach interviewing (in fact, I heard the rumor of an OAC coach interviewing) but it seemed to far fetched and was from a less reliable source than the names I provided above.