SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

NOTE the SLIAC has announced the women's Championship game time will be moved up due to potential storm in Missouri.. Ladies will play at 4 EST, 3 CST....  not at 7 EST as originally scheduled... Men still play at 1 EST, Noon CST
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

Some nice wins for the SLIAC today:

Spalding 72 - Bluffton 57 at Webster
Webster 70 - Dominican 51
Westmin 75 - Millikin 70
Principia 73 - Crowleys Ridge College (who?) 60
Eureka 94 - Knox 92

But Greenville loses at Elmhurst and MacMurray loses to Hendrix.

Spalding looked good beating a solid Bluffton team. They have a 6'1" freshman who could be a dominant force in the SLIAC -- good moves around the hoop, handles the ball well, fierce rebounder. Spalding should have no trouble with Dominican tomorrow. The Webster-Bluffton game could be interesting.

y_jack_lok

hopefan

I'll celebrate the one year anniversary of the last post on this board with a brief observation...

I've seen Greenville and Westminster ladies this season.... they both played pretty well... if we assume Spalding is a top four team too, that would seem to leave one slot.....

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on November 27, 2015, 04:57:40 PM
I'll celebrate the one year anniversary of the last post on this board with a brief observation...

I've seen Greenville and Westminster ladies this season.... they both played pretty well... if we assume Spalding is a top four team too, that would seem to leave one slot.....

Probably right about those three. IWC not eligible for the conference tourney so that leaves Blackburn, Eureka, Fontbonne, MacMurray, Principia, and Webster. Just guessing , but I suspect Fontbonne and Webster are the two most likely candidates for the fourth spot.

hopefan

Stat of the year...maybe of the decade.... possibly in history

In Blackburn loss to Knox (83-87, would appear to have been a good game to watch), Blackburn, in the official box score, was 'credited' with the astounding total of 57 turnovers!!!  That drives their turnover per game average to 38

and note, the men had 35 turnovers in their game!!!

I think the coaches should pull one of those gimmicks where players have to carry a basketball around all day without dropping or kicking it!!!
::) ::)

hopefan

Blackburn follows up their 57 turnover effort vs Knox, with 47 turnovers vs Fontbonne...

Seriously, I've got to see this team play.....

Mr. Ypsi

I once coached a team of fifth-grade girls.  We NEVER had THAT many TOs in a game! :o  (Granted, the opposing teams were not that great. ::))

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on December 03, 2015, 04:26:59 PM
Blackburn follows up their 57 turnover effort vs Knox, with 47 turnovers vs Fontbonne...

Seriously, I've got to see this team play.....

Time to stop picking on Blackburn. I'd love it if there could be a little meaningful conversation here. I know you saw Webster vs Greenville. Any observations? Webster has a transfer (#4 Chelsea Holman ) who has some height and appears to be a good outside shooter. If they can screen for her and get her some open looks I believe she could put up some points. She only played 11 min vs Greenville. Any idea why? I know Aurora took away her shot by putting their tallest player on her. Not all teams will have a player who can guard her like that. She had good shooting success against Augie. This could be a good season for Webster if she can get and make her shots. I know they will miss Ashley Brooks while she is out, but there are some other good new players who just need a little more time working together. I hope it all comes together.

hopefan

Afraid I wasn't paying enough attention to form any opinions on Chelsea Holman... she doesn't look too quick..

As I mentioned to you, I though Madison Butler, though only 5'4" showed quickness and a good skill set....  Actually, Webster played from behind the whole game, coach was changing faces on the floor constantly... was tough to figure out who was who..

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on December 03, 2015, 09:03:36 PM
Afraid I wasn't paying enough attention to form any opinions on Chelsea Holman... she doesn't look too quick..

As I mentioned to you, I though Madison Butler, though only 5'4" showed quickness and a good skill set....  Actually, Webster played from behind the whole game, coach was changing faces on the floor constantly... was tough to figure out who was who..

Holman isn't quick in terms of mobility, but with a screen or an open look she can easily get off an outside shot with accuracy. Agree about Madison Butler from what I saw against Illinois Tech and Aurora.

hopefan

For what it's worth, nothing has changed from what I said a couple days ago... Westmin and Greenville both look good, and the fact that Spalding took Westmin to OT puts them in that bracket too... so who is fourth spot in tourney (fifth in standings with IWC not eligible)... not Blackburn, probably not Prin, not Mac... would seem to leave Webster, Eureka, Fontbonne battling for that last spot....

hopefan

BIG game on the Ladies side of the conference today.... Greenville at Westminster... Both are likely top 4 in conference...

Also, Blackburn and Mac play each other.. one will get their first win on the season...

y_jack_lok

Nice win for Webster over Prin yesterday. Paige Buechele has seven assists and 3 steals in 21 minutes -- no shot attempts. In hockey and soccer they give players "points" for assists - you don't always need to shoot for your team to score. Brittany Harris-Conway comes alive for a nice game with 11 points and 7 boards in 19 minutes. And Madison Butler, the shortest player on the floor, has 4 rebounds for Webster.

Trivia item of the day -- Rhodes College women's team also has a player named Madison Butler.

y_jack_lok

hopefan said he was going to do a write up on the women's race. I'm waiting. There have been some good, competitive games of late. Webster's games against Eureka and Fontbonne certainly were.