WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 27, 2017, 02:04:58 PM
Hello Ferrum: http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2017/06/odac-expands-to-add-ferrum

So I guess the possibility exists for the women, as you said it does for the men, to go from a 16 game regular season conference schedule to 18 games? Also reduce the tournament from 12 teams to 8?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Let's start with the regular season schedule... I am told that the ODAC may be looking at expanding the schedule from 16 to 18... but that has yet to be determined.

As for the tournament, the plan already existed to reduce the tourney from 12 to 10. Now it will be 13 and reduced to 10. However, I am not sure if the reduction is coming for this season or next season. The plan was being put in place before Ferrum was added to conference. Now, you have mentioned you like 8 on the men's board... but understand it is going to 10. Not 8. I believe they still want to give the top teams a bye, per se, and have some on-campus games before the remaining 8 teams head to Salem.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Thanks. That all makes sense. Even with 8 teams it would still be possible to have quarterfinals on top 4 seed campuses, then go to Salem for semifinals and finals only. Doesn't really matter to me. Just nice to understand the thinking.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: y_jack_lok on June 28, 2017, 12:53:03 PM
^^^ Thanks. That all makes sense. Even with 8 teams it would still be possible to have quarterfinals on top 4 seed campuses, then go to Salem for semifinals and finals only. Doesn't really matter to me. Just nice to understand the thinking.

Well... I will agree that reducing it to 8 and having the first round outside of Salem is a good idea. I think it would also allow the ODAC to finish the tournaments on Saturday instead of being the last ones on Sunday. There has been a lot of talk about how Sunday tournaments in basketball (and final days in other sports) greatly challenge the selections and bracketing for the NCAA tournament (keep in mind, the selection committees are doing the work while the final games are taking place; the regional committees make their final vote in the morning and have contingency plans based on outcomes).

Personally, I'd like to see the NCAA (Division III members) restrict the Sunday games to give the committee a better situation to do their work. Thus the ODAC consider going to just semifinals and whatnot in Salem. I understand the counter argument, especially from some of those in the ODAC, but I also think it has hurt their teams in the long run. Not many others have to play three games in three or four days before entering the tournament (not counting those who play on campus prior and make a run, i.e. Randolph and others in the last few years) and I feel from results in the last ten or more years that the ODAC teams are gassed by the time they start playing in the NCAA tournament greatly reducing their ability to get back to Salem. It is a showcase, it is unique, I have been there, and I get it. However, I wouldn't be sorry to see a change. This is a step in that direction, but clearly they conference isn't ready to pull the plug on 16 teams being in Salem and playing in a four-day tournament.

y_jack_lok

Two ODAC teams beat two ranked CAC teams tonight: Randolph-Macon 78-73 over #14 Marymount and Washington & Lee 60-55 over #24 Mary Washington. On the flip side, #2 Christopher Newport thumps Bridgewater 63-36 and Salisbury beats Virginia Wesleyan 61-48.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I saw a part of the Shenandoah at Goucher game last night... hard to gauge the Hornets when playing the Gophers, but I like parts of what they have there. Also nice to quickly chat with Coach Smeltzer-Kraft who came up and introduced herself after the game. Shenandoah has some pieces I think will work for them, but may be a bit undersized for the ODAC. However, they will make it challenging for sure.

y_jack_lok

^^^Thanks for sharing that. I'm very surprised R-MC beat Marymount, who is clearly not a top 25 team. R-MC only has ten players on the roster, from what I could see on the computer screen it looked like only nine were in uniform last night and only eight played. Several good underclassmen from last season are not playjng this season. If they hadn't been able to get a big enough lead they would have lost in the 4th quarter as they were clearly tired and making the kinds of mistakes teams make when running out of gas. Kelly Williams is a good player -- played all 40 minutes last night and managed to stay out of foul trouble. If she has to go to the bench for more than a few minutes there's no way R-MC can compete with most teams. I doubt they will continue to win like that the next 24 games. They'll win some more, for sure, but how many???

ronk

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 16, 2017, 11:53:52 AM
^^^Thanks for sharing that. I'm very surprised R-MC beat Marymount, who is clearly not a top 25 team. R-MC only has ten players on the roster, from what I could see on the computer screen it looked like only nine were in uniform last night and only eight played. Several good underclassmen from last season are not playjng this season. If they hadn't been able to get a big enough lead they would have lost in the 4th quarter as they were clearly tired and making the kinds of mistakes teams make when running out of gas. Kelly Williams is a good player -- played all 40 minutes last night and managed to stay out of foul trouble. If she has to go to the bench for more than a few minutes there's no way R-MC can compete with most teams. I doubt they will continue to win like that the next 24 games. They'll win some more, for sure, but how many???

R-MC plays Juniata tonight; Juniata has a frosh 6-4 post player of above-average ability(Gracie Stauffer); should be a good test for both players to go against each other.

y_jack_lok

^^^That should be interesting when they are both on the court. I see that Stauffer played 16 minutes (didn't start) against Dickinson on Wednesday -- 4 points, 9 boards. Unfortunately I won't be watching as I will be at local games here in Saint Louis.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There is a first time for everything. Right?

On Sunday's Hoopsville, Dave chats with a number of programs who have never been on the show. All of them are in conference races and yearning to position themselves well for conference tournaments. Not sure any of them were expected to be in this position.

It seems to be a theme that's pretty common of late.

At the same time, one coach has been so consistent that winning number 600 almost seemed like a forgone conclusion, but a player she has on the team now may be one of the best no one is talking about.

And what to make, again, with the men's Top 25? And who will be the last women's team(s) to stay undefeated this season? Ryan Scott joins Dave to chat in the Top 25 Double-take segment.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2GoBKlL

If you have questions, be sure to interact with the show on social media (see below) or email us your questions (hoopsville@d3hoops.com).

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Jeff Gard, UW-Platteville men's coach
- James Mooney, Mount Saint Vincent men's coach
- Carroll LaHaye, Randolph-Macon women's coach
- Lynn Hersay, Smith women's coach
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com columnist (Top 25 Double-take)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Swish3

Nice article on R-MC's Williams in Around the South...it mentioned that she hates practice...funny how sometimes those players are real "gamers", as she seems to be.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Swish3 on February 01, 2018, 09:05:01 AM
Nice article on R-MC's Williams in Around the South...it mentioned that she hates practice...funny how sometimes those players are real "gamers", as she seems to be.
I hadn't seen that. Thanks and +1.

Here's the link in case anyone else checks this board and hasn't seen the article. http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/south/2017-18/not-trying-to-dominate

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh