2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swish3

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 26, 2019, 05:15:06 PM
The figure is 3.18%, yes. And that number is established in the NCAA constitution, so any change to our percentage of D-II's percentage would require broad-based support.

Kind of says it all, right?

KnightSlappy

Massey's tournament predictions are up.

https://www.masseyratings.com/tourn?t=1068

20% Nebraska Wesleyan
16% Whitman
15% Augustana

So basically 50-50 those three vs. the field.

His model favors Randolph-Macon to come out of the Amherst quadrant.

I might post something similar based on my efficiency ratings if I can get to it while it's still relevant.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: fantastic50 on February 26, 2019, 09:38:38 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2019, 09:07:12 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 26, 2019, 05:15:06 PM
The figure is 3.18%, yes. And that number is established in the NCAA constitution, so any change to our percentage of D-II's percentage would require broad-based support.

I guess I've always wondered why d3 and d2 don't get together to just raise their own percentages.  They've got 2/3rds of the membership, right?  Or does it require 3/4ths?

If it requires the NCAA Board of Gouvernors to sign off, remember that it has 16 from D1, 2 from D2, and 2 from D3 (soon to be joined by 5 more from outside.)

Well, that explains it - and makes sense.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They're also trying to get a standardized ratio of participating teams to regions across all d3 sports.  Other sports are not in as workable positions as d3.  I think it's a good idea, although I'm struggling to think about how a ten team selection table is going to work out.  That's rough.  From that perspective I'd almost rather see five regions of 90 than ten regions of 45.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 27, 2019, 09:36:09 AM

They're also trying to get a standardized ratio of participating teams to regions across all d3 sports.  Other sports are not in as workable positions as d3.  I think it's a good idea, although I'm struggling to think about how a ten team selection table is going to work out.  That's rough.  From that perspective I'd almost rather see five regions of 90 than ten regions of 45.

Having seen what happens in other sports with large regions - it is just as insane and more inequitable. MLAX has been stuck at two regions and now with something like 250 teams for a number of years. They are FINALLY moving to five (probably six in the future) regions ... it allows for too many issues.

Granted, comparing ten teams at a time isn't fun, either.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

So, I did something different this year.  Not only did I fill out my bracket, but once I got to the final 16 I tried to pencil a host for the sectionals.  Here's what I came up with, and let me know what you think:

Upper left (the Whitman bracket): I had host schools Whitman, Senor Christopher Newport, and Hamilton all winning, and picked Plattsburgh to upend Williams in Williamstown, difficult to do, but you have to pick some upsets here and there, and I came up with Hamilton hosting that sectional.  Sorry, Whitman but the NCAA isn't sending 3 teams to Western Washington, and since Plattsburgh would have to fly to Newport (and vice versa) those 2 are out as well.  This looks seemingly straight forward for as long as Hamilton wins the first 2 games, they are hosting the next weekend.

Bottom left (the Amherst bracket): I had Randolph-Macon holding serve at home; Middlebury winning @ Rowan, Amherst winning @ Rochester and MIT winning @ Swathmore.  This seems like another straight forward bracket where as long as Amherst wins they are hosting the next round, and things only get crazy if Rochester win.

Now here's where things got messy....Bottom right (the Augie?? bracket): I actually had chalk meaning all 4 host teams make it out of their pods.  NCAA would have to fly all 3 teams to Augie, so just like Whitman they are out.  I went with Marietta to host this one as Oswego just checks in at under 500 miles.

Now let's get really crazy.....my upset bracket Upper right (The Neb Wesleyan bracket): I picked Neb Wesleyan to win their pod, but then Wittenberg to win @ Guilford, Oshkosh to win @ St. John's, and Loras to win @ North Central.  Loras is able to drive to Nebraska, but the other 2 can't, while Wittenberg, Oshkosh & Loras are all within driving distance of each other.  I went back and forth between Wittenberg & Oshkosh for this.  Wittenberg was #1 in their region, while Oshkosh was #3, but in the end I decided to give the sectional to Oshkosh because I think the numbers were slightly better, but this is the only one of the 4 I wasn't comfortable with.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: 7express on February 27, 2019, 09:31:35 PM
So, I did something different this year.  Not only did I fill out my bracket, but once I got to the final 16 I tried to pencil a host for the sectionals.  Here's what I came up with, and let me know what you think:

Upper left (the Whitman bracket): I had host schools Whitman, Senor Christopher Newport, and Hamilton all winning, and picked Plattsburgh to upend Williams in Williamstown, difficult to do, but you have to pick some upsets here and there, and I came up with Hamilton hosting that sectional.  Sorry, Whitman but the NCAA isn't sending 3 teams to Western Washington, and since Plattsburgh would have to fly to Newport (and vice versa) those 2 are out as well.  This looks seemingly straight forward for as long as Hamilton wins the first 2 games, they are hosting the next weekend.

Bottom left (the Amherst bracket): I had Randolph-Macon holding serve at home; Middlebury winning @ Rowan, Amherst winning @ Rochester and MIT winning @ Swathmore.  This seems like another straight forward bracket where as long as Amherst wins they are hosting the next round, and things only get crazy if Rochester win.

Now here's where things got messy....Bottom right (the Augie?? bracket): I actually had chalk meaning all 4 host teams make it out of their pods.  NCAA would have to fly all 3 teams to Augie, so just like Whitman they are out.  I went with Marietta to host this one as Oswego just checks in at under 500 miles.

Now let's get really crazy.....my upset bracket Upper right (The Neb Wesleyan bracket): I picked Neb Wesleyan to win their pod, but then Wittenberg to win @ Guilford, Oshkosh to win @ St. John's, and Loras to win @ North Central.  Loras is able to drive to Nebraska, but the other 2 can't, while Wittenberg, Oshkosh & Loras are all within driving distance of each other.  I went back and forth between Wittenberg & Oshkosh for this.  Wittenberg was #1 in their region, while Oshkosh was #3, but in the end I decided to give the sectional to Oshkosh because I think the numbers were slightly better, but this is the only one of the 4 I wasn't comfortable with.

Curious why Wittenberg (speculation) didn't put in a bid. Will they put one in for the 2nd weekend. I'm partial to Oshkosh since they would've hosted had it not been for the women hosting opening weekend.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am told they had an arena conflict. I am also heard they may have tried to make things work, but it was too late.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BluesBrother

Quote from: 7express on February 27, 2019, 09:31:35 PM
Sorry, Whitman but the NCAA isn't sending 3 teams to Western Washington

What about to Eastern Washington?  ;)

Ralph Turner

Is there a bracket pick'em contest this year?

ronk

I read that the sponsor was no longer conducting the bracket contest.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 28, 2019, 08:53:32 AM
Is there a bracket pick'em contest this year?

In  the fantasy and pickemleagues thread there is a game where you pick teams each round, but you can only use them once. Pick each round. Would be fun to get more participants!

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Well, now we know that Illinois Wesleyan isn't the only men's basketball program in America that keeps all of the team's uniforms together for travel purposes rather than putting them back in the players' lockers once they've been laundered and thus making it the responsibilty of the players themselves to pack their unis in their bags. This same thing happened back in January 2013 when IWU forgot to bring its uniforms to North Park. Rather than take up NPU head coach Tom Slyder's offer to play the game in old Vikings road unis, the Titans decided to wait until their own uniforms arrived from Bloomington with the parents of one of their players. Tipoff took place 75 minutes after the game had been scheduled to start.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell