MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Brockport 35 Salisbury 29 at the half.

The Golden Eagles are creating a lot of turnovers but also making too many unforced errors of their own. Some lazy passes, dribles off the foot stepping on the end line, that sort of thing. They should be up by a dozen points instead of 6. Their pressure defense has created 16 1st half turnovers but Port is guilty of 13 TO's.

Justin Summers leads the way for Brockport with 8 points. Livestats show him with only 2 rebounds...I thought he had more than that.
Malick Sylla with 7 points and 3 boards. Jahidi Wallace with 6 points and Tyler Collins with 5.

Mike Ward has 5 points to lead the Seagulls. Five other players with 4 each.

Port hanging in there. with 20 rebounds to 22 for Salisbury.

Summers with 2 fouls for Brockport.

Gary Briddell, leading scorer for Salisbury on the season has 2 fouls for them.

magicman

magicman

Dec. 2                 Just 1 game scheduled for today    

Oswego State  at  St. Lawrence        7:30 PM

The Lakers travel to St. Lawrence to take on the winless but dangerous Saints. Oswego has been an upset victim before against this team, so they need to keep their minds on matters at hand and not be thinking about the upcoming big game against conference rival Brockport State on Friday. Still undefeated at 4-0, Oswego will face a young SLU team that is 0-3 but was in every one of those games. The Saints had 5 players in double figures when I saw them play at Plattsburgh State, so they have numerous people who can score. They can put points on the board in the paint as well as from behind the arc. Against Plattsburgh they scored 50 points in the paint and also made 9 three pointers in 20 attempts. Their 8 man rotation is 3 Freshman, 3 Sophomores and 2 Juniors. They would love nothing better than to get their first win at Oswego's expense.

Oswego holds a 7-3 edge in games played over the last 10 years and has won the last 2 meetings by double figures. Previous to that the other 8 games were decided by margins between 1 and 6 points. The 2 best seasons the Lakers had in 2010-11 (24-5) and 2011-12 (26-4) were  years that St. Lawrence went 11-13 and 14-11. Yet the Saints defeated the Lakers 58-57 and 66-62 in those two seasons proving that records mean nothing when these two teams tangle. Oswego has held the upper hand in recent years winning 6 of the last 7 games which should make the Larries hungrier than ever to get a W.

The experts have made Oswego a 7 point favorite in this game. I think they win by a few more than that. I'll take Oswego to come away with a 90-78 victory.          

magicman

Brockport 75   Salisbury 69

I had the the Golden Eagles winning by a 75-72 final score and they didn't disappoint me when they came through on their end with 75 points. My thanks go out to Tyler Sullivan and Tyree Grimsly for their cooperation near the end of the game in making that Brockport score happen, especially Tyree. I just needed one of those missed 3 pointers by Salibury, in the last few seconds, to go down and I would have had a perfect prediction.

This was one sloppy game from start to finish. You know when you take the floor against Brockport that the turnover factor is going to come into play. They come at you from start to finish and they will create turnovers, that, more often than not, result in a win. However I haven't seen more turnovers in a game this year and both teams were guilty of the giveaways. And for many of the turnovers that's just what they were....giveaways...early Christmas presents maybe. Far too many were the result of poor decisions and not defensive pressure, as I mentioned in my halftime update. Don't get me wrong there were a lot of nice steals (especially on the part of Brockport) but both teams made a lot of boneheaded mistakes that I'm sure both coaches will cringe at, all over again, when they watch the tape of this game. Salisbury had 29 turnovers and Brockport had 26. Both of those numbers were season highs for Brockport and for their opponents, so far this year. Fortunately the Golden Eagles came away with the win, but there were times in this game when I thought they weren't going to get that W.

An up and down first half found Brockport with an early 5 point lead after the first 8 minutes of play. They were still up 17-13 at the 10 minute mark, but 4 minutes later a 12-2 run put the Seagulls on top by 6 points, at 25-19, with 6 minutes left in the half. The Golden Eagles had probably their best stretch of play at that point, as they outscored Salisbury 16-4 for the remainder of the period to go back in front. They got 6 turnovers while shooting 6x10 from the field and 3x5 from the line. They led 35 to 29 at the half.

Brockport quickly extended the lead to 11 points at 42-31, 90 seconds after the 2nd period started, on a pair of layups by Justin Summers and a 3 point play by Jahidi Wallace. That would be the largest lead of the game. In a game of runs, it was the Seagulls turn as they came right back with a 13-2 streak that tied the game at 44 with 14:36 left to play. It took only 4 minutes and was Brockport's worse stretch of the game as they committed 6 turnovers and went 1x6 from the field. Salisbury hit a trio of three pointers, a jumper, and a layup in that span and it looked like they had the Golden Eagles set up. Brockport responded with a pair of layups by Malick Sylla and a free throw from Tyree Grimsly to jump ahead by 5 points, only to have the Seagulls come roaring back with 7 unanswered points to go up 52-51 with just over 10 minutes to play. Their lead lasted only 14 seconds as that's how long it took Tyler Collins to come down and drain a three to put Port back in front. After a steal by Collins, Sylla did his thing on the next trip down and he buried another threeball and the Golden Eagles never trailed again. With 9:49 to go Brockport had a 57-52 lead that was cut to a 2 point lead when the Seagulls made one from long distance to keep the heat on Brockport. That back and forth lasted for another 3 to 4 minutes until Brockport went up by 2 possessions with 5:41 to play. Up by 3 points, Port got an offensive rebound and putback by Grimsly followed by a jumper by Sylla, after Salisbury came up empty. Once again the Seagulls missed from the field and Grimsly got the defensive rebound and scored another layup on his end. The lead was 68-59 with 4:50 remaining and the Golden Eagles could see the finish line. Salisbury never got closer than 2 possessions after that and now with Port up by 6, I was sure rooting for that meaningless 3 pointer to go in for the Seagulls, with just a few seconds left.   I couldn't be that lucky though.

Brockport shot 45.9 percent (28x61) from the field while  Salisbury shot 38.5 percent (25x65)
Brockport was 4x12 from long range (33%). The Seagulls were only 6x26 (23%)
Brockport was just 15x26 (57.7%) from the line while Salisbury went 13x16 (81.3%)
Both teams had 40 rebounds     

Brockport
Malick Sylla had a game high 18 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 assist in 21 minutes off the bench. He is now averaging 11 ppg.

Justin Summers had 15 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 steals.

Jahidi Wallace had 11 points and 5 rebounds.

Tyler Collins had 10 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists and 2 steals.

Tyree Grimsley had a team high 7 rebounds, 7 points, 3 steals and 1 assist in 21 minutes off the bench.

Montgomery Stroman had 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals, and a block in 16 minutes off the bench.

Salisbury
D'Angelo Tull  and Gary Briddell both had 14 points for the Seagulls. Tull also had 6 rebounds,4 assists and 2 steals, while Briddell added 4 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 assist.

Brockport is now 3-1 and will be back in action on Friday when they host what should be the Game of the Week in the SUNYAC as Oswego comes to town. Both teams are predicted to do well in conference play this year and the winner of this game will give one of them a leg up. Always tough to win in Brockport but if anyone can do so it's the Lakers. They have won there 3 times in the last 5 years.   

scooterman

Thanks for the reintroduction to D3 board,Magic and Bengal- good to be back--I watched my Eagles play Salisbury St. yesterday and agree with you, Magic, very sloppily played but a W is a W. These early season non-conference games at D1 and D3 that I have been watching have all been sloppy and mistake ridden. Anyway the YAC has been competitive in their non-conference schedule, but need to get more wins when it comes to NCAA at large bids at the end of season. I will be going to Daytona Beach on the 15th and 16th to the Mauro Panaggio Memorial tourney at Mike Panaggio's venue to enjoy my Eagles play. This is big week for them at home against Oswego and Cortland. Two wins would be a great start to the SUNY season! Good Luck, Eagles!!

thebear

At Canton, NY; Halftime - SLU 39 Oswego 36.  SLU led 30-20 with 7:30 left, but Lakers crept back with a rebound layup at the buzzer to close within 2.  SLU 0-3, Lakers 4-0.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

Oswego trails St Lawrence  39-36 at halftime.

Lakers not looking sharp and seem to be having a problem with SLU's zone. They have made 6 3 pointers but have taken 22 shots from long range. That's only 27 %. Oswego 7x13 inside the arc.  Saints have made 4  triples but only had 7 attempts. 13x19 field goals inside the arc for 68%.

Julien Crittendon leads the Lakers with 9 points all on 3 from long distance. Joe Sullivan with 8 points and 4 rebounds.  Jeremiah Sparks with 7 points 3 rebounds and 3 assists.

Trent Adamson leads the Saints with 11 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.  Cale Sargent with 10 points, 2 rebounds and 2 assists.

magicman

Oswego and St. Lawrence head to overtime tied at 76. 

Jeremiah Sparks is fouled shooting a 3 pointer and makes all 3 free throws with 18 seconds left to tie the game up. SLU with the last shot but turns it over with 2 seconds on the clock and the Lakers can't get off a final shot.

magicman

St Lawrence defeats Oswego State 83-82 in overtime.

magicman

St. Lawrence 83 Oswego State 82 in overtime.

Oswego has a chance to win it at the buzzer but a floater by Jeremiah Sparks doesn't go down. Lakers' TJ Brescia gets his hand on it and taps it up and in but the buzzer sounds as the ball is on his hand. The refs wave it off and SLU escapes with the win. I had a feeling the outcome might be a St. Lawrence upset when I spotted the new D3hoops Top 25 poll and saw the Lakers had moved from the "Others receiving Votes" category into the #25 spot. That usually is a pretty good jinx on a SUNYAC team's next game when they gain entry into the poll and of course tonight was no exception.   

Still, I thought the Lakers might pull this one off after they got it to overtime, as the Saints have struggled down the stretch of their previous games, which is so common among young teams. Learning how to win in crunch time usually requires a number of lessons. Apparently for the young Saints three lessons were enough as they now are 1-3 with the win tonight.

This was a classic trap game for the Lakers. Playing a non-conference game, on the road, against a team that had already lost to a pair of SUNYAC teams, Potsdam and Plattsburgh, that will struggle to keep up with the Lakers this year in the conference. Oswego had to try and focus on this game when the important game was the upcoming contest against conference rival, Brockport.

The Lakers grabbed the early lead at 17-11 and were still up 20-16 with 11 minutes left in the period. The Saints came charging back with 14 straight points to go up 30-20. They were  led be 8 points and 2 steals from Cale Sargent which included a pair of 3 pointers.
Trent Adamson also had 2 steals and scored the other 6 points in that outburst. Oswego would spend most of the night playing catch-up and the Saints seemed to have an answer every time they got close.

The Lakers were down only by 3 at the half but fell behind once more as the Saints slowly increased their advantage until it was a 9 point margin at 56-47 with 12 minutes remaining. Slowly Oswego started to turn things around. Over the next 9 minutes the Lakers got 11 points from Jeremiah Sparks, 11 points from Brandan Gartland and 4 points from Joe Sullivan to outscore the Saints 26-14 and finally forge into a 73-70 lead, with 2:53 left to play. The Saints got back to back three pointers and retook the lead 76-73 and that set the stage for Sparks 3 foul shots to tie the game with 18 seconds left. There's a ton of pressure to make 3 free throws in a row to gain a tie but the freshman looked like a seasoned pro as he calmly swished all 3 shots to knot the score. I think for the rest of the year, if I was Coach Leone, I'd be inbounding the ball to Mr. Sparks, in the closing seconds, when the foul parade has started. SLU had a chance for the winning shot but as they wound the clock down and got set to drive to the basket they lost the ball and Oswego didn't have enough time to get a shot off. That set the stage for the dramatic overtime that ended with the Saints getting their first win of the season.   

The Lakers didn't shoot particularly well only 30x81 (37%) and even worse from long distance, 11x38 (28.9%). The Saints meanwhile were shooting lights out. They were 35x61 from the field (57.4%) and 10x19 from the arc (52.6%). Oswego did win the rebounding battle 38 to 32 and the turnover stats were in their favor with only 9 giveaways to 16 for the Saints.

Oswego
The Lakers got another huge game from Freshman Jeremiah Sparks who captured scoring honors with a new career high of 27 points. He also got his 2nd straight double-double with 10 rebounds along with 4 assists.

Brandan Gartland had 19 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 steals.

Joe Sullivan also had a double-double with 16 points and a game high 16 rebounds. He added 5 assists 2 steals and a block.

St. Lawrence
Trent Adamson was the hero for St. Lawrence tonight as he led his team with 21 points and scored the final 4 points that gave them the win. The 21 points was a new career high and he doubled his pleasure with a career high and team high 13 rebounds. It marked his first collegiate double-double. He added 3 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks. I spoke to him back on November 19th when he played against  Plattsburgh State and I watched him score 14 points and grab 9 rebounds. I told him I enjoyed his game and that I thought he would be in the mix for Rookie of the Year in the Liberty League. I also mentioned that next year I expected he would make one of the all conference teams. I think he thought I was pulling his leg....I was dead serious. He'll be a star for SLU and the team should be good for the next few years. Their entire rotation will be back next season. With a little luck they could make the Liberty League playoffs in February.

Cale Sargent had 15 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals.

Andrew Geschickter had 15 points, 3 assists, 2 steals and 1 rebound.

Brandon Arnold had 10 points, 3 assists and 2 rebounds.

Luke Hicks had 9 points, 5 assists and 4 rebounds.

St Lawrence is now 1-3 and will begin conference play this weekend when they travel south to take on RPI on Friday at 7:30 PM and Union on Saturday at 4:00 PM.

Oswego State falls to 4-1and will travel to Brockport for their conference opener on Friday night at 7:30 PM and Geneseo on Saturday at 4:00 PM

magicman

The new D3hoops Top 25 poll was released on Monday night and when I pulled up the front page of the D3 website I knew Oswego had made the Top 25 because I was looking at Big Joe Sullivan's Green and Gold #5 uniform. I wasn't sure the Lakers would make it in because there were 2 teams from the CCIW sitting in front of them in the "Others Receiving Votes" category. That meant 3 teams already in the Top 25 would have to drop out for the Lakers to move in and there was no guarantee that a team behind them wouldn't leap over the Lakers and get in, if 3 spots did open up. In fact that's exactly what happened. Both Elmhurst and Carthage the two CCIW teams moved into 17th place and 21st place. A third team that barely got a mention last week, just a single point, UW-La Crosse from the WIAC conference suddenly was the recipient of 105 points and jumped over at least a dozen teams to land at the #23 spot.

Fortunately, the Lakers slipped into the #25 spot with 64 points, because 4 teams from the previous poll were dropped and the Lakers were the 4th new team to make the Top 25.  Unfortunately, they were barely in the poll when the were upset by St. Lawrence in overtime MOnday night, probably an hour after the poll was posted. ::)

There's a slim chance if they win both games on the weekend they might receive the benefit of the voters who let them hang on with just the one loss. Notice I said, "a slim chance", because I don't think it will happen. There are 3 WIAC teams in the Top 25 right now, #11 UW-Platteville, #13 UW-Oshkosh and #23 UW-La Crosse with another 2 WIAC teams Stevens Point and Eau Claire getting votes. That puts the WIAC behind the CCIW conference as they have 4 teams in the Top 25...#17 Elmhurst,  #19 North Central, #21 Carthage and #24 Augustana. They have a 5th team, Illinois Wesleyan, receiving votes. Both conferences have 9 teams so 10 of the 18 teams in those conferences are in the poll with 7 of them in the Top 25. The NESCAC only has 2 teams in the Top 25, #4 Middlebury, and #14 Amherst, but they have 3 teams sitting in the Others Receiving Votes category. At the top of that list at #26 is Hamilton College with Colby and Tufts further back. Right behind Hamilton at #27 is UW-Stevens Point. The voters are looking for a reason to put both those teams into the Top 25. So they will need two teams to drop out. I think Oswego, even if they win their two weekend games, will drop off the poll and into the Others category. Then the only way they get back in is if they have a long winning streak. Been there and done that a number of times with the SUNYAC schools.

Rochester is the only other team in the East Region receiving votes but the Yellowjackets suffered a loss last week to Hobart and their vote total dropped from 33 down to only 5.

Here is the link to the latest D3hoops Top 25 Poll:

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/2019-20/week2     

magicman

December 3rd      Just a single game on the schedule today.

SUNY-Canton  at   Geneseo State   5:00 PM

The Knights look to start a winning streak as they host the Kangaroos from SUNY-Canton. They come into the game with a 2-3 record and have been inconsistent so far in the early going. They have 2 wins but the competition is not that stellar, as those teams have a combined record of 2-11. The Knights have struggled to put points on the board in their losses as they've only averaged 57 ppg. They lost to Alfred, two weeks ago scoring just 52 points in the process. Tonight's game will be the first time these schools have played each other so there is no previous history.

Canton has a 4-3 record with wins over 2 teams that come into play here. A week ago the Kangaroos won a 97-87 game against St. Lawrence and last night the Saints upset SUNYAC powerhouse Oswego State. Previous to that Canton defeated Clarkson College 60-52 and that school owns a win over Alfred at Alfred. Those two wins are better than anything that the Knights have put up this year. The 3 losses that the Kangaroos have been saddled with, came from teams that have a combined record of 17-2. One of them is the #4 in the country.

The oddsmakers have made Geneseo a 5 point favorite in this game but I'm not sure the Knights will be the winner here. I hope they are but if I was betting on this game I'd put my money on the Kangaroos. I see them winnng by a final score of 72-66. Hope I'm wrong on this one.       

magicman

Canton 29 Geneseo 28 at the half

Joseph Harclerode with 7 points and 5 rebounds to lead Geneseo. Terrance Nichols, Alex Merhige, and Michael Gannon all with 5 points. Merhige with 6 boards.

Canton gets 13 points from Quran Dubois.  George Nehma is next with 6 points.

magicman

magicman

Geneseo 65 Canton 59

I got this one wrong and glad I did, as I had the Knights losing 72-66. Geneseo hung tough on several different occasions and finally made the big move when needed, to give them the W. I take comfort in the fact that I got what a wanted....a SUNYAC win and that the Knights' final score of 65 points was just 1 away from my predicted 66. Happy the Roos couldn't hit 70. Lots of good interior defense by the Knights to keep the opponents in check.   

The Knights trailed by 1 at the break, grabbed the lead early in the 2nd period and went up by 5 points, 4 minutes into the period. Canton put together an 11-4 run to go back in front 45-43 with 13 minutes to go. The Knights were still trailing by 3 at 51-48, with 8:21 left, when Michael Gannon scored 5 straight points to set in motion the game's defining run. Geneseo scored 13 unanswered points during that stretch, to grab a double digit lead at 61-51 with under 4 minutes left in the game. Canton never recovered and got no closer than 3 points the rest of the way. The Knights hit 3 of 5 from the line, in the final minute, to close the door.

Geneseo shot the ball better than the Kangaroos 41% to 33% and had 44 rebounds to 40 for Canton. The Knights had 14 turnovers to 13 for the Roos.

Geneseo
Michael Gannon led the Knights with a double-double of 18 points and 11 rebounds. He added a pair of assists and a steal. He was 4x8 from long distance with 3 of them coming in the 2nd half.
Alex Merhige had 14 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals.
Joseph Harclerode had 11 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks.
Sean Crowley had 10 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and a block in 23 minutes off the bench.
Terrance Nichols had 8 points, 3 assists, a steal and a rebound in 32 minutes off the bench.

Canton
Danny Santana was the leading scorer in the game with 19 points. He also had 5 rebounds and 2 steals.
Quran DuBois  had 18 points, 2 rebounds and 2 steals.
Joseph Werner had 10 rebounds, 6 points, 4 steals, 2 assists and 2 blocks.

Geneseo evens their record at 3-3 and will host Cortland on Friday evening at 7:30 to begin conference play.