BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

I'm news that should make badgerwarhawk happy, the following players will be returning to the diamond to play another season for Whitewater this Spring:

• Matt Korman
• Jacob Demeyer
• Ryan Norton
• Sam Vomhof

I believe that would mean Whitewater would return 7/8 of their everyday starters on offense....
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

I'm mostly concerned about pitching as we've lost Anfang, Muir and Lancour a big part of our rotation.

On the plus side Donovan Brandl returns after missing almost all of last season due to injury.  Cade Berendt returns after a solid 2022.  Nick Rector and Sam Padan showed some promise and we had a lot of young pitchers on the roster last year.  Plus you have current recruits.

Hopefully they'll be able to get the job done.   

"Just think twice is my only advice."

ShineTime

Point has Nelson returning for sure I confirmed with another player on the team however Simmons signed a professional contract somewhere so he's gone which makes obviously is an enormous loss. Point has some outstanding incoming freshman and I believe a junior college pitcher who will be ace of rotation. I'd give the edge to Whitewater to win the WIAC and of course both teams will be great and have to get through each other again.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

tomt4525

Point has had a great last 2 days on the recruiting trail by grabbing 2 of the highest risers in Wisconsin's senior class.

Connor Olson SS Arrowhead and Eli Niemiec RHP St Thomas More

Niemiec was touching 87 this past summer while Olson had a breakout summer and rose all the way up to 31 in the Wisconsin rankings.

tomt4525

The run to the World Series is certainly helping Point's recruiting efforts this offseason, love what Coach Richter has been able to accomplish to improve his program.  Then again, Whitewater and La Crosse are bringing in very highly rated recruiting classes as well.  From what I've been able to find for Point:

Connor Olson IF Arrowhead (ranked 31st)
Eli Niemiec RHP St Thomas More (ranked 35th)
Jack Adams OF/2B Janesville Craig (ranked 88th)
Drew Kloster RHP Fort Atkinson (ranked 103rd)
Jeremiah Jahnke LHP Winneconne (ranked 126th)
Steve Wintheiser LHP Muskego (ranked 144th)
Jaden Stuhr LHP Marion (ranked 148th)
Gavyn Novak RHP/IF Janesville Parker
Lane Boucher OF Menasha
Drew Mistele IF Baraboo
Dylan Cunningham C Franklin
Cooper Brown 3B/1B Appleton West
Isaac Beeler OF/RHP Westlake(TX)
Asher Nicholson IF Denver East(CO)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tomt4525 on December 06, 2022, 10:45:05 AM
The run to the World Series is certainly helping Point's recruiting efforts this offseason, love what Coach Richter has been able to accomplish to improve his program.  Then again, Whitewater and La Crosse are bringing in very highly rated recruiting classes as well.  From what I've been able to find for Point:

Connor Olson IF Arrowhead (ranked 31st)
Eli Niemiec RHP St Thomas More (ranked 35th)
Jack Adams OF/2B Janesville Craig (ranked 88th)
Drew Kloster RHP Fort Atkinson (ranked 103rd)
Jeremiah Jahnke LHP Winneconne (ranked 126th)
Steve Wintheiser LHP Muskego (ranked 144th)
Jaden Stuhr LHP Marion (ranked 148th)
Gavyn Novak RHP/IF Janesville Parker
Lane Boucher OF Menasha
Drew Mistele IF Baraboo
Dylan Cunningham C Franklin
Cooper Brown 3B/1B Appleton West
Isaac Beeler OF/RHP Westlake(TX)
Asher Nicholson IF Denver East(CO)
Beeler from Austin Westlake? Wanting to pay out-of-state tuition when there are so many D3 and JUCO opportunities in Texas?

Is he a Wisconsin expatriate/native?

(Thanks for the post.)

ShineTime

Jaden Stuhr is a kid from small school who could be that next big time lefty who dominates at Point. Wouldn't be shocked if he's the next JC Reinke or Joel Delorit! He just really seems to have so much movement and with good strength coach could be special.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

tomt4525

https://athletics.uwsp.edu/sports/baseball/roster

Point's roster is finally up.

From looking it over....big loss of Marcus Jaworski, he really came on strong at the end of last season.  I certainly expected him to be in the rotation this season.

cubs

Quote from: mr_b on March 02, 2023, 04:58:39 PM
Finlandia University will be closing at the end of this academic year.

https://www.finlandia.edu/news/finlandia-university-will-not-enroll-students-for-the-2023-2024-academic-year/
Not mentioned in the article, but according to Head Coach Luke Paul's Twitter account, administration has also canceled the 2023 Baseball season.  This means WIAC teams will be looking to fill four games if they want to play a full 40 game schedule....

mr_b

Quote from: cubs on March 03, 2023, 08:55:29 AM
Quote from: mr_b on March 02, 2023, 04:58:39 PM
Finlandia University will be closing at the end of this academic year.

https://www.finlandia.edu/news/finlandia-university-will-not-enroll-students-for-the-2023-2024-academic-year/
Not mentioned in the article, but according to Head Coach Luke Paul's Twitter account, administration has also canceled the 2023 Baseball season.  This means WIAC teams will be looking to fill four games if they want to play a full 40 game schedule....
That has to be devastating news for the Finlandia players and coaches as they were getting ready for the 2023 season.  At least the WIAC teams have some regional options (CCIW, NathCon, MIAC, UMAC, etc.) to pick up a few more games.

cubs

Results from over the weekend:
-La Crosse takes three out of four from Stout
-Platteville sweeps Stevens Point (at Wisconsin Rapids) on Sunday; Finishing series today
-Whitewater and Eau Claire postponed until later this week
-No Games For UWO as this was their Finlandia DH weekend

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS take both ends of today's double header with Eau Claire squeaking by 3-2 in game one and blowing them out 16-5 (7 inn) in game two.  Cade Berendt went 6 innings allowing 2 earned runs on 7 hits with 6 strikeouts for the win and Michael Hilker picked up a save with a pair of bases loaded, looking strikeouts to end the game.  Brandl's home run and Jacob DeMeyer's three hits paced the WARHAWKS offense.  In game two the WARHAWKS scored 5 runs after two outs in the first two at bats but EC battled back with 4 of their own in the top of the third.  However from that point on it was all WARHAWKS who added 5 in the fourth, 2 in the fifth and 4 more in the sixth.  Joey Pettit got the win allowing 7 hits, 4 runs (3 earned) in 4 innings.  Brandl struck out 5 of the 6 batters he faced and Trey Bretl finished the last inning allowing a single run.  Matt Scolon had 4 hits while Sam Vomhof, DeMeyer and Alex Najera had 3 hits.  Scolon, DeMeyer and Nick Paget each drove in 3 runs.  Scolon, Paget and Vomhof hit home runs.

With bad weather predicted tomorrow the second double header has been postponed to April 10th. 

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS and Titans split today's doubleheader.  In game one the Titans pounded three WARHAWKS relievers for 8 runs and 12 hits scoring 6 runs across their last three at bats winning the game 9-8 with back to back solo home runs.  Donovan Brandl got the start and despite some control issues allowed just one hit and run over the first four innings leaving with a comfortable 6-1 lead.  I don't quite understand why he takes the loss but that's what the box score says.  Matt Scolon, Sam Vomhof and Adam Cootway hit home runs for the WARHAWKS who had 15 hits as a team.  Shiu, Kirchberg and Marsh hit homers for the Titans who finished with 13 team hits.  Trey Tennessen took the win in relief.   Game two went to the WARHAWKS who continued to hit gathering 20 hits in the run rule shortened 17-4 (7 inn) win.  Five WARHAWKS (Brandl, Cootway, Vomhof, Frazer and DeMeyer) and 7 WARHAWKS drove in runs.  Cootway got another home run.  Trey Bretl went 5 innings for the win and Danny Hooper pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief.  Taylor hit a home run for the Titans.  Sorrells took the loss allowing 8 runs (6 earned) in 4 innings.

Two more tomorrow. 

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS and Titans split a pair of one run games today.  In game one Oshkosh took a 1-0 lead in the first inning with an unearned run off WARHAWKS starter Cade Berendt.  That lead stood until the eighth inning when, with two outs, the WARHAWKS loaded the bases with the help of a pair of walks.  That set the stage for Sam Vomhof's grand slam home run and a 4-1 lead.  Not to be outdone the Titans answered, again with two outs, in their eighth with a pair of singles and a three run home run by Schermann knotting the score 4-4.  The WARHAWKS got what turned out to be the winning run when Donovan Brandl singled to lead off the ninth, advanced to second on a groundout, and scored on Bennet Frazier's two out single.  The Titans were retired in order in their at bat.  Max Huseboe picked up his second win of the season despite surrendering three runs in his one inning on the mound and Sam Paden picked up a save.  L. King took the loss in relief for the Titans.

In game two the WARHAWKS took an early 2-0 lead with a pair of unearned runs in the second.  That lead lasted an inning before the Titans put a 5 spot on the boad in their fourth inning at bat.  That score held until the sixth when the WARHAWKS plated a run making it 5-3.  In the eighth the WARHAWKS tied the game 5-5 with a pair of runs after Bennett Frazier's third triple of the day drove in a run and Frazier scored on a throwing error.  Frazier's triple was a high fly to deep right field.  The Titan fielder appeared to be making the catch when he tried to stop, lost his footing on the slippery turf and fell.  Oshkosh opened their last at bat with a double.  A wild pitch advanced a pinch runner to third.  He scored on a wild pitch and the game ended when the WARHAWKS were retired in order in the ninth.  Joey Pettit got the start allowing 5 runs (4 earned) on 7 hits with a pair of strikeouts in 4 innings.  Logan Eisenbarth took the loss allowing a single earned run on 4 hits and struck out seven in 3.2 innings.  Cade Hanson recorded a strikeout in his 0.1.  This time L King got the win for the Titans in relief.

It's the first time I remember seeing an individual hit three triples in a day though I suppose you could put an asterisk by the third one.  Regardless it was an impressive day at the plate for Bennett Frazier.  Also over the course of two games WARHAWKS pitchers only gave a free pass to a single Titan. 

The WARHAWKS host Loras on Thursday in a single game. 

In other action around the league LaCrosse continued their winning ways taking both ends of their doubleheader, 10-0 6-1, with Platteville.  The Eagles are 13-1 with 7 straight in their last 14 games.
Eau Claire and Stout were postponed.