MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Next Man Up

Rather than what is or what might be regarding athletic teams travel times for Roosevelt University, here is a situation specific to the CCIW. IDK how the conference women's coaches feel about it, but I hear the men's coaches are absolutely in head over heels love with this travel policy  ;).
What I'm referring to is the Conference policy of having the men's and women's teams play a doubleheader when in-conference games fall on Saturdays during the regular season. There is nothing like turning a  100-110 minute men's basketball game into basically a day long excursion. Using NCC as an example, the young women's game at Millikin starts at 2:00, with the guy's game to follow at 4:00. Soooooooo, we'll leave at 9:30. The girls will have their pre-game meals on the bus. We'll drop them off at the Griswold Center at 12:30.Then we'll take the guys to eat, following which we'll drive over to the mall and let them walk around/stretch their legs for 60-75 minutes. About 3:15 we'll head over to Griswold and get there about 3:30. Game starts at 5:00 and should be over at roughly 6:40-6:50. A couple of the guys might want to shower  :D, so, if we're lucky, we should be hitting the road home about 7:30. Our sleek luxury coach (seriously) should get us home @ approximately 10:30. So, that's possibly a 13 hour trip for an hour and 40 to 50 minute game. Very logical. And, what about Carroll or Carthage @ MU? Seems like a little revisionist thinking on this particular travel policy might be appropriately called for.  8-)
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Don't surround yourself with yourself. 🧍🏼‍♂️(Yes)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Will they take just one bus? I know most of the Centennial teams out here take two, even even there's a doubleheader, too avoid all the waiting.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 07, 2022, 08:44:57 PM

Will they take just one bus? I know most of the Centennial teams out here take two, even even there's a doubleheader, too avoid all the waiting.

Based upon the fact that I typically see visiting men's teams sitting in the stands at the start of women's games, plus the fact that I've occasionally stepped outside the crackerbox at NPU on home basketball doubleheader days and seen only one bus parked at the Kedzie Avenue entrance, I think that the one-bus setup is common for most CCIW schools. That's the major point behind the policy, after all -- saving money on expensive coachfare leases.

The first exception that stands out in my mind is Elmhurst, as EU has a couple of school-owned minibuses that are each too small to fit both basketball teams -- so each team uses one minbus. The other is Millikin, which owns its own coach bus. Illinois Wesleyan might, too, come to think of it; I'm sure that you-know-who will be on here shortly to give us an excruciatingly-detailed seminar in IWU athletics travel operations. ;)

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 07, 2022, 07:38:10 PM
Rather than what is or what might be regarding athletic teams travel times for Roosevelt University, here is a situation specific to the CCIW. IDK how the conference women's coaches feel about it, but I hear the men's coaches are absolutely in head over heels love with this travel policy  ;).

Oh, boo-hoo for the CCIW men's coaches. Suck it up and put on your big-boy pants, guys.

This is about the schools saving money that might otherwise not be available for CCIW athletics departments to use elsewhere. I support that concept. If the North Central men's team and coaching staff (and travel guests ;)) feel that they're forced to aimlessly wander the streets of Decatur for an hour every other year, rather than (gasp!) watch a women's basketball game, then color me unsympathetic to their plight.

If two extra hours off campus on three or four Saturdays a year is so stress-inducing to CCIW coaches that they feel the need to complain about it to people outside of their respective athletic departments, then perhaps they should find something productive to do with those occasional morsels of downtime ... such as taking up knitting.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Next Man Up

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 07, 2022, 08:44:57 PM

Well, I can only speak for NCC, and the answer going back several years now has been yes, almost always. Taking one bus is part of the plan to hold down athletic dept costs/save money. My understanding is that several yrs ago now, the member schools Presidents conferred on ways to possibly save money on athletics expenditures, and the Saturday conference doubleheaders and taking one bus was on of the things they agreed on. The host school was given the choice of having the games at either 2:00 & 4:00 or 5:00 & 7:00. (I remember a 7:00 game at Millikin where we got home at 1:30 AM).  As a concession in more recent times, a couple of changes have come into play. On shorter trips to Wheaton, Elmhurst, and NPU, the teams now take separate College owned vehicles—either a couple of 12 passenger vans or mini busses thereby saving the cost of renting a large coach bus. In addition to saving money by not renting a coach this, of course, allows the teams to both leave later and return earlier. However, on Saturday trips to Wisconsin, Augie, IWU, or Millikin it's usually still a large coach. So the girls don't have to sit around half the night waiting for the guys to finish, I think they are sometimes now allowed to ride home with parents who have driven to the various games. Rather than riding to bus to Sat games at CC, CU, AC, or IWU, I almost always drive now if I go. I always skip going to Decatur, no matter riding or driving.
So young hero, ask yourself............................Do you want to go to college, get a good education, and play (basketball)(football), or do you want to go to college, get a good education, and watch (basketball)(football)? 🤔 😏

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 07, 2022, 11:20:07 PMI always skip going to Decatur, no matter riding or driving.

This is such a sensible policy in so many different contexts that it should have its own meme. ;)

As my college friends on the North Park cross-country team used to say, the best part of the annual Millikin meet was seeing the "Welcome to Decatur" sign on I-72 in the rear-view mirror of the van.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Next Man Up

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 07, 2022, 11:01:00 PM

Oh, boo-hoo for the CCIW men's coaches. Suck it up and put on your big-boy pants, guys.

This is about the schools saving money that might otherwise not be available for CCIW athletics departments to use elsewhere. I support that concept. If the North Central men's team and coaching staff (and travel guests ;)) feel that they're forced to aimlessly wander the streets of Decatur for an hour every other year, rather than (gasp!) watch a women's basketball game[/b%], then color me unsympathetic to their plight.

If two extra hours off campus on three or four Saturdays a year is so stress-inducing to CCIW coaches that they feel the need to complain about it to people outside of their respective athletic departments, then perhaps they should find something productive to do with those occasional morsels of downtime ... such as taking up knitting.

1. They're neither aimlessly wondering the Decatur streets nor watching the women's game. After dropping the women off the guys go eat their pre-game meal, following which they go to a mall and walk around for an hour or so to help start digesting the pre-game grub and to get stretched out after sitting for several hours. Also, as far as watching the women's game, the women would prefer going home as soon as their game is over rather watching the guys game. It works both ways.   :D

2. As far as the knitting thing—-I've finished several afghans during past jaunts to Decatur.  :o
Maybe I can find one I've done in North Park Navy Blue and Yellow for you.  8-)   ;)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 02:36:45 AM

This is about the schools saving money that might otherwise not be available for CCIW athletics departments to use elsewhere. I support that concept. If the North Central men's team and coaching staff (and travel guests ;)) feel that they're forced to aimlessly wander the streets of Decatur for an hour every other year, rather than (gasp!) watch a women's basketball game[/b%], then color me unsympathetic to their plight.

1. They're neither aimlessly wondering the Decatur streets nor watching the women's game. After dropping the women off the guys go eat their pre-game meal, following which they go to a mall and walk around for an hour or so to help start digesting the pre-game grub and to get stretched out after sitting for several hours.

I was going for the mental image of North Central players in their warmup gear shuffling zombie-like through the West Side of Decatur, an amusing thought that diminishes slightly when juxtaposed inside a mall (although George Romero's classic 1978 film Dawn of the Dead, with its social commentary about consumerism and the mallification of suburban America, provides plenty of templates for a tableau of collegiate zombies wending their way through the aisles of Target).

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 02:36:45 AMAlso, as far as watching the women's game, the women would prefer going home as soon as their game is over rather watching the guys game. It works both ways.   :D

Same thing for them: suck it up and deal. You've got your phone with you, which as a good Gen Zer you're constantly looking at, anyway ... so amuse yourself.

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 02:36:45 AM2. As far as the knitting thing—-I've finished several afghans during past jaunts to Decatur.  :o
Maybe I can find one I've done in North Park Navy Blue and Yellow for you.  8-)   ;)

Nice! If you don't make it to the crackerbox in January, leave it with a coach and send it on the team bus. ;)

(Incidentally, Augustana is navy blue and yellow. North Park is royal blue and gold.)

PauldingLightUP

Augustana 2022-2023 schedule

https://athletics.augustana.edu/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2022-23

Non cons: vs Whitewater, at St. Mary's, vs Aurora, vs Platteville, vs WashU, at Dubuque, at Knox, vs La Crosse, at Illinois College

tomt4525

Quote from: PauldingLightUP on August 08, 2022, 04:11:40 PM

Non cons: vs Whitewater, at St. Mary's, vs Aurora, vs Platteville, vs WashU, at Dubuque, at Knox, vs La Crosse, at Illinois College

Disappointing that Augustana won't be continuing with their non-conference matchup with UW-Stevens Point.

Next Man Up

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 08, 2022, 11:34:14 AM
Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 02:36:45 AM

1. They're neither aimlessly wondering the Decatur streets nor watching the women's game. After dropping the women off the guys go eat their pre-game meal, following which they go to a mall and walk around for an hour or so to help start digesting the pre-game grub and to get stretched out after sitting for several hours.

I was going for the mental image of North Central players in their warmup gear shuffling zombie-like through the West Side of Decatur, an amusing thought that diminishes slightly when juxtaposed inside a mall (although George Romero's classic 1978 film Dawn of the Dead, with its social commentary about consumerism and the mallification of suburban America, provides plenty of templates for a tableau of collegiate zombies wending their way through the aisles of Target).

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 02:36:45 AMAlso, as far as watching the women's game, the women would prefer going home as soon as their game is over rather watching the guys game. It works both ways.   :D

Same thing for them: suck it up and deal. You've got your phone with you, which as a good Gen Zer you're constantly looking at, anyway ... so amuse yourself.

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 02:36:45 AM2. As far as the knitting thing—-I've finished several afghans during past jaunts to Decatur.  :o

Nice! If you don't make it to the crackerbox in January, leave it with a coach and send it on the team bus. ;)

(Incidentally, Augustana is navy blue and yellow. North Park is royal blue and gold.)

Incidentally, my reference point was North Park's own website which, iunder Brand Guidelines, Section 4.2 (Colors) mentions only North Park blue, and Yellow. There was no direction given for a deeper dive to royal blue and gold, rather than yellow which, of course, is far more regal than navy blue and yellow.  ;D So yes, I did make the research effort.  ;)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 05:32:29 PMThere was no direction given for a deeper dive to royal blue and gold, rather than yellow which, of course, is far more regal than navy blue and yellow.  ;D

Augustana just plain had no clue when the school chose its colors. Like NPU, it's a school founded by Swedish immigrants, yet it got the Swedish colors completely wrong. I mean, c'mon ... navy blue? Ni var galna, Augustanas förfäder! Gustavus Adolphus (black & gold) is even worse. It was clearly a school that was founded by color-blind Swedes.

Take a look at the Swedish flag, the gul och blå ("gold and blue"):

Tell me ... which school has those colors as its school colors?

Quote from: Next Man Up on August 08, 2022, 05:32:29 PMSo yes, I did make the research effort.  ;)

E for effort, but don't trust an outside product marketer. Instead, look for the school's fight song.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: tomt4525 on August 08, 2022, 05:19:34 PM

Disappointing that Augustana won't be continuing with their non-conference matchup with UW-Stevens Point.

Maybe they got lazy and didn't want to travel that far north. IDK. I seem to remember Point playing down there and then vice versa. Then Point would travel down there again, but Augustana would only play Point in Wisconsin Dells.  That may have happened two years (in a row?).  I don't have very good memory and I'm too lazy to look it up, so I could be completely wrong.  However, I'll just go with that explanation.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Augie and Washington University have been off and one for the last 15-20 years or so.

tomt4525

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on August 08, 2022, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: tomt4525 on August 08, 2022, 05:19:34 PM

Maybe they got lazy and didn't want to travel that far north. IDK. I seem to remember Point playing down there and then vice versa. Then Point would travel down there again, but Augustana would only play Point in Wisconsin Dells.  That may have happened two years (in a row?).  I don't have very good memory and I'm too lazy to look it up, so I could be completely wrong.  However, I'll just go with that explanation.

Augustana played at UWSP just last season, one of 4 total victories for the Pointers.  That game or the game against Stout in the conference tourney was easily UWSP's best of the season.

Next Man Up

Perhaps the explanation of no Augie vs Point this year is that if SP won only 4 games last year, and is supposed to be better this season, Augie figures if they lost to a team that won only 4 last year, they would almost be guaranteed a L if the played an improved SP team this year.  ???  :)