MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

My gut on the IWU tournament is Hope opens with Oshkosh, Ripon vs IWU.  IWU coach Ron Rose could always pick Oshkosh in game 1, just to make sure he gets an excellent D3 resume game like Oshkosh on the strength of schedule.  But he has to feel confident his team can handle either Ripon or Hope, same for Oshkosh handling Hope or Ripon.

At the WashU tournament, Hope has never played St. Thomas, Tx or Hendrix, with a trifecta of games all in the NCAA vs WashU.  St. T has been pretty solid the last 3 years, a date with Hendrix seems looming.

St. Thomas is a 3rd year NCAA provisional, someone will have to refresh us on if this game "counts" for SOS.

Fun schedule, good teams, some familiar faces, some new faces and a couple nice trips.  Hope would do well to have more W's than L's.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

doc

Don't think I have seen this name on the board for Calvin:

Sirr Favors, 6'2" SG, Valley Christian HS, Cerritos, CA

If the announcer doesn't yell "Yes Sirrrrrrrrrrrrr" after every three, it is a huge missed opportunity.

TUAngola

Trine MBB 2021-2022 roster is up:

https://trinethunder.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/roster

Only one addition I wasn't aware of who committed to Trine.  6'0 G Hayden Jones from East Noble HS Indiana, comes from the same high school program as Brent Cox.  He was a terrific 2 sport athlete in high school, was a class 4A all state wide receiver in football and all an conference point guard in basketball.  He gradulated high school in 2020 so I lost track of where he ended going to college last year.  Trine has him listed as a freshman so maybe he played football somewhere last year and decided to come back to basketball, or maybe sat out a year due to Covid...who knows.  Watched his team play basketball a few times when he was in high school, he should see some playing time for the Thunder even though court time is going to be hard to come by with everyone back from last year.

Other new names on the squad are already known about; freshmen Ryan Preston, Grant Pahl and Aidan Smylie.  The other new name on the roster is Rilye Cox, a junior who is up from the JV squad.

The only guy I don't see from last year's roster that played minutes is backup PG Reese McGinsie.  I know he's still at Trine, maybe he's just going to concentrate on finishing his degree his senior year.  The other new commits are probably going to be on JV, that roster has not been posted. 

This will be a very experienced Trine squad, should make a few preseason DIII top 25 polls I'd imagine.

TUAngola

Is it too early for 2022 high school basketball commitments?

To Trine:     Logan Gard     6'7 forward     Central Noble HS - Albion IN   

Good commitment, always nice to get some length as our current roster is very guard heavy.  Plays on the same high school team as future D1 recruit Connor Essegian who is announcing his college choice tonight between 7 schools including Wisconsin, Minnesota, Creighton, Butler, Wake Forest, Loyola-Chicago, and Purdue-Fort Wayne.

TUAngola

Quote from: TUAngola on September 15, 2021, 04:47:12 PM
Is it too early for 2022 high school basketball commitments?

To Trine:     Logan Gard     6'7 forward     Central Noble HS - Albion IN   

Good commitment, always nice to get some length as our current roster is very guard heavy.  Plays on the same high school team as future D1 recruit Connor Essegian who is announcing his college choice tonight between 7 schools including Wisconsin, Minnesota, Creighton, Butler, Wake Forest, Loyola-Chicago, and Purdue-Fort Wayne.
....Connor Essegian commits to Wisconsin.

sac

Good Luck to all the MIAA basketball programs kicking off their seasons this next week.  I look forward to seeing all of you at some point.

Greek Tragedy

I was just curious how much stock we should put into Trine's season last year. 17-1 is really good. A quick look at their schedule, they basically played conference opponents 3 times and the one true test they had, they lost to RMC by 14. Are they really the class of the MIAA this year?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ziggy

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 15, 2021, 08:40:55 AM
I was just curious how much stock we should put into Trine's season last year. 17-1 is really good. A quick look at their schedule, they basically played conference opponents 3 times and the one true test they had, they lost to RMC by 14. Are they really the class of the MIAA this year?

I think there are really two different things here being conflated into one. The first is wondering if Trine's rather insulated schedule last year is indicative of a high preseason ranking that it looks like they will get. I think Trine is really good but it is a reasonable question. The other is whether they should be seen of the class of the MIAA heading into the season. Whereas last season left room to wonder nationally, I don't believe it leaves room to wonder within the league. But, we've seen preseason favorites stumble and teams picked lower to surprise. That's why they play the games!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I attended the RMC game, expecting a blowout. Trine really made a believer out of me. Despite losing their best defender and most versatile player to injury early on, and being outclassed by Macon's talent and athletic ability, Trine never gave up and battled back at least three times when most teams would've been resigned to their fate.

Now, the MIAA tends to have a lot of size, which will definitely be a challenge for Trine, and their success depends on intense focus, which will certainly be challenged this year, with more typical distractions, but they have the makings of a team to watch.

I'm skeptical of nearly every team this year simply because the context of playing basketball is so different from the last time we saw any of them on the floor, but there's as much reason to be confident in Trine as anyone else.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sac

Over 3 weeks at the end of Nov into Dec Trine plays a 4 game stretch
https://www.trinethunder.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/schedule

at Mt Union
Baldwin Wallace
Heidelberg
UW-LaCrosse

and also play UW-Stevens Point later in December.

Those types of programs have given Trine a lot of issues the last few seasons

Trine returns everybody from last season.

Trine was super reliant on turnovers last year, almost freakishly so.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: ziggy on October 15, 2021, 09:12:44 AM

I think there are really two different things here being conflated into one. The first is wondering if Trine's rather insulated schedule last year is indicative of a high preseason ranking that it looks like they will get. I think Trine is really good but it is a reasonable question. The other is whether they should be seen of the class of the MIAA heading into the season. Whereas last season left room to wonder nationally, I don't believe it leaves room to wonder within the league. But, we've seen preseason favorites stumble and teams picked lower to surprise. That's why they play the games!

Trine didn't just win the league, they cleaned up pretty easily. The MIAA is not a top tier league by any stretch, but it's a reasonable one and I think Albion would have proved to be a rather good team had it been a normal season. Calvin and Hope were a step back as they have been for a few years, but they were both closer to 'good' than 'bad' last season. Really strange year though, so hard to say anything for sure.

KnightSlappy

Trine will open the season ranked no. 7 in the nation. Albion is also receiving votes.

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/2021-22/preseason

TUAngola

It's good to see some discussion on whether Trine MBB merits the same national and regional attention this year as they did last year.  With a lot of D3 schools not playing at all or playing limited schedules last year it was somewhat difficult to gauge Trine on a national level as all but 3 games last season were against MIAA opponents.  The outcome against RMC at their place was not surprising.  Would the outcome have been different if Cox was not injured in the 1st half?  Probably not, but one can wonder.  We did have the game down to 2 or 3 possessions in the 2nd half and were a bucket or 2 away from really making it interesting before RMC pulled away late.  What Trine does better than most is: 1) ball movement 2) motion offense/screening/moving without the ball 3) getting open looks due to back door cuts or kick outs to open jump shooters 4) creating turnovers for easy buckets.  We're not going to 'wow' you with a bunch of athletes, we are guard heavy with not a lot of big bangers inside.  But with this team we really don't dump it inside and rely on post play on the block.  We're just a fundamentaliy sound team that feeds off of working harder than the other team.  As others have mentioned the early season schedule this year will be telling if Trine is a player on the national/regional level or just in the league.

I also did find out, as I had mentioned in an earlier post about the 2021-2022 roster, as to why Reese McGinsie is not listed.  He is no longer going to be able to play due to a medical issue discovered over the summer.  He has had surgery but cannot continue with athletics.  He'll be a student assistant on the coaching staff.  Best wishes to this young man. 

sac

2020 Hope graduate and former player Matt Zandstra has passed away.  He was seriously injured in an auto accident last weekend in Grand Rapids.

https://www.smitsfh.com/obituary/matthew-zandstra?fbclid=IwAR1IbtDBGJxIELOafyCayW8_Z71ZzUBeEfMPiIzNZxB4aIfA2FuSFkdC7H0

Sending some prayers out to all his family, friends and teammates.