New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Four days after their rivalry match, both Babson and Brandeis tie 0-0 away to Massachusetts opponents. Brandeis to WPI, Babson to Fitchburg.

Brandeis was missing Josh Ocel, not sure why. They looked genuinely poor in the first half, couldn't get anything going, but grew into the game. No Flahive starting either, Allen was up top, and he had a couple of decent chances.

Didn't see much of the Babson game but considering the hosts were 1-2 and the 2 losses came by scores of 5-0 you have to think that Babson - especially riding the high of the grudge match win - would have had enough to get the W. They have blown hot and cold so far this season, but they won't care too much about their record as long as they have the NEWMAC tourney as a road to NCAAs.

ECSUalum

Eastern Connecticut pull out a 1-0 win over UMass Dartmouth on a nifty header in the box by defenseman Emmanuel Caicedo, off a free kick by JD Stearns.  BTW Caicedo has been the only solid defenseman this year and has saved ESCU from being routed this year. 
However UMD hit the woodwork at least 3 times as ECSU continues to play a very poor possession game!!  When 90% of Warrior passes either go out of bounds of to an opposing player, you will never score many goals, provide too many opportunities to the opposition, and lose matches.  Eastern was extremely luck to pull this one out.  It will be interesting when UMass Boston comes to town, (they slammed Plymouth St 5-0 today)! 

I have a feeling it is going to be a loooong season :'(

Off Pitch

ECSUalum, I noticed that Derek Parker, who started last year for ECSU, is now a regular starter at Quinnipiac.   If I recall correctly, Mark Richards left last year to play at UConn.  Is this a regular thing there at ECSU?

Off Pitch

Projected week 2 (Sept 20) New England rankings:

1.  Amherst (3-0-1)
2.  UMass- Boston  (6-0)
3.  Middlebury (2-0-1)
4.  Williams (4-0-1)
5.  Clark (6-0)
6.  Brandeis (3-1-1)
7.  Coast Guard (5-0-1)
8.  Endicott (4-1-1)
9.  Bowdoin (3-1)
10. (tie) Conn (3-1)
10.(tie) Springfield (5-0-1)

Ommadawn

Although they are feasting on less-than-stellar opponents (a 5-0 win against MIT-conquering Newbury notwithstanding), Dean College is now 7-0-0 with a clean sheet for the season (48 GF, 0 GA).  The question seems to be less whether they will run the table than whether they will be scored upon.  Does anyone know to which conference, if any, they might be headed once they complete the transition to D3 from NJCAA?

Mr.Right

Quote from: Ommadawn on September 18, 2016, 10:56:02 PM
Although they are feasting on less-than-stellar opponents (a 5-0 win against MIT-conquering Newbury notwithstanding), Dean College is now 7-0-0 with a clean sheet for the season (48 GF, 0 GA).  The question seems to be less whether they will run the table than whether they will be scored upon.  Does anyone know to which conference, if any, they might be headed once they complete the transition to D3 from NJCAA?

No idea but I can guarantee you they will not be able to get these JUCO type players thru admissions when they do officially join D3.

Mr.Right

After watching a bunch of games within New England / New York, I must say there is a lack of firepower up front for a lot of teams. Teams like Colby, ECONN, Babson, RPI for example are all very organized, work very hard, defend well and can build play thru midfield but have NOTHING up front to finish. These teams will get results but are not a threat to score. After watching Babson yesterday, They are a solid side, work hard, have some creativity in midfield(that Parker kid is good and Arrojo is decent) and they play on the ground but once they hit the final 3rd they had no one to FINISH. Bloots mentioned this yesterday and I totally agree and as a coach what do you do? They still almost got out of Williamstown with a draw but Parker hit a weak PK. He showed his hips before shooting and Alcorn either read his eyes or hips. It was a bit to casual. So you have those teams who can beat anyone on the day but things must go their way and they will not generate many chances against top opposition.

Then you have the Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Wheaton, Conn teams that are similar to the ones I mentioned above although Wheaton is a bit weak defensively who have the athletes to score against better competition and some skill going forward but still are missing a serious striker. These teams will rely on their midfield for goals and in November that will get shut down.

Sandy

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 17, 2016, 03:06:49 PM
ECSU continues to play a very poor possession game!! 

That's because they don't play one. It's more of a soak pressure, play ball high and wide and whip it in for the cross with midfielders and forwards streaking in to get on the end of it type of system.

ECSUalum

Quote from: Off Pitch on September 18, 2016, 08:59:12 PM
ECSUalum, I noticed that Derek Parker, who started last year for ECSU, is now a regular starter at Quinnipiac.   If I recall correctly, Mark Richards left last year to play at UConn.  Is this a regular thing there at ECSU?
You are correct and as mentioned earlier on this thread, Tyler Jones, a big fast forward, who scored 7 goals last year did not return.  The year mark Richards left they lost Nicolas Warren to Cal Lutheran and their So GK Greg Walton (0.62 GAA) to University of Vermont. Another promising player Konnor Scarponi also left the team Do not know if or where Tyler Jones is playing, but there seems to be a trend where some excellent, (many top LEC players), come to Eastern and then leave to other schools  ???.  A bit frustrating as most these guys should have been seniors this year or last year and would have made a huge difference in ECSU's results

ECSUalum

Quote from: Sandy on September 19, 2016, 11:42:39 AM

That's because they don't play one. It's more of a soak pressure, play ball high and wide and whip it in for the cross with midfielders and forwards streaking in to get on the end of it type of system.
Yeah... so tell me something I do not already know!?

Sandy

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 19, 2016, 04:25:19 PM

Your posts make it seem like you expect them to keep possession when they're explicitly told not to play that way by DeVito, that's all. While it would be better if they do that, he doesn't put in the players necessary for that to happen. He'll leave more technically sound players who can keep possession and hold it up in favor of players who can run around a lot, even if it means leaving the defense exposed. It's very much a work hard and play rather than a work smart, work hard, and play type system.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Sandy on September 19, 2016, 07:49:40 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on September 19, 2016, 04:25:19 PM

Your posts make it seem like you expect them to keep possession when they're explicitly told not to play that way by DeVito, that's all. While it would be better if they do that, he doesn't put in the players necessary for that to happen. He'll leave more technically sound players who can keep possession and hold it up in favor of players who can run around a lot, even if it means leaving the defense exposed. It's very much a work hard and play rather than a work smart, work hard, and play type system.

I'm sniffing a bitter parent.....

PaulNewman

Good for Trinity but feel bad for Endicott.  I enjoy watching Endicott play, even on turf which I usually can't say.  An entertaining team.  Unfortunately they'll no doubt have to beat Gordon in the tourney final to get a bid.

Mr.Right

Quote from: NCAC New England on September 19, 2016, 09:35:33 PM
Good for Trinity but feel bad for Endicott.  I enjoy watching Endicott play, even on turf which I usually can't say.  An entertaining team.  Unfortunately they'll no doubt have to beat Gordon in the tourney final to get a bid.

I am not so sure yet. The draw at Williams and the win v Tufts certainly will come in handy in November as I believe when all is said and done both Williams and Tufts will be regionally ranked. Losing to Trinity will sting but Trinity will not be ranked in November, so the loss will not hurt them. They still have Gordon and WPI coming up and both could possibly be regionally ranked when all is said and done. They also could go clean the rest of the way as besides Gordon , WPI and Babson they have all winnable games left.

PaulNewman

Carthage will probably be regionally ranked too.  I went back to see what happened in that 4-1 loss and it is 1-1 into the 78th minute.  Stats fairly even.  Carthage has beaten some other good teams.