Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 19, 2016, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: Sandy on September 19, 2016, 07:49:40 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on September 19, 2016, 04:25:19 PM
Quote from: Sandy on September 19, 2016, 11:42:39 AM
Quote from: ECSUalum on September 17, 2016, 03:06:49 PM
ECSU continues to play a very poor possession game!! 

That's because they don't play one. It's more of a soak pressure, play ball high and wide and whip it in for the cross with midfielders and forwards streaking in to get on the end of it type of system.
Yeah... so tell me something I do not already know!?

Your posts make it seem like you expect them to keep possession when they're explicitly told not to play that way by DeVito, that's all. While it would be better if they do that, he doesn't put in the players necessary for that to happen. He'll leave more technically sound players who can keep possession and hold it up in favor of players who can run around a lot, even if it means leaving the defense exposed. It's very much a work hard and play rather than a work smart, work hard, and play type system.

I'm sniffing a bitter parent.....

Nah. Just a brother that happened to play for SLU, which instilled a much different, and even antithetical, play style. While fitness was important it wasn't the main thing that would get us on the field of play. I don't think I'm spouting any untruths though, especially considering I've seen them in person and have heard first hand about the instructions they're given.

Off Pitch

Sandy, I think you may have misinterpreted him.  I think he meant by his post that he was literally sniffing a bitter parent.

Off Pitch

Gordon over ECSU 1-0 in Willimantic.  ECSU only managed to get 4 shots.   

Gordon moves to 5-1-1 with a win over Tufts on their resume and the lone loss coming to Carthage (5-2, #4 in Central region).

blooter442

Wentworth hammers MIT 5-3 in Cambridge.

Most of the talk for the CCC crown has centered around Endicott and Gordon, but the Leopards definitely have a strong case. They went up 1-0 less than 10 minutes in on a nice finish after a great save by the MIT keeper and increased it to 2-0 before half. MIT pulled one back early in the second but then Wentworth hit them on the break for 3-1. MIT scored late to make it 3-2 before Wentworth counterpunched a few minutes later. They then iced the victory with a marker for 5-2 with less than 3 minutes left. MIT got another back right after, but it was too little too late.

I wouldn't say that MIT was that inferior in terms of play, as they had an equal amount of the ball and were far more effective going forward than they were against Newbury, but Wentworth was far more clinical. MIT seemed to go back and forth between a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 in the first half, but then went with a much more attack-minded 4-4-2 in the second. Wentworth seemed to press high, and caught MIT on the counter a few times, and finished all of their big chances, whereas MIT wasn't nearly as efficient in front of goal.

MIT seemed to have a case of Babson-itis, where they play solidly as a team and do well in the back part of the pitch (except for the 5 goals) and in the midfield but simply can't finish the moves. That's the difference between having a freshman up top and Sean Bingham up top, although Perper did make some good runs and good plays - definitely one to watch for the future.

NEsoccerfan20

As a neutral and a big New England region fan what are the games to watch this week?

blooter442

Quote from: NEsoccerfan20 on September 26, 2016, 11:09:12 AM
As a neutral and a big New England region fan what are the games to watch this week?

Here's two in Greater Boston:

Wheaton @ Brandeis - Tuesday, 7pm: After starting 3-0, Brandeis is 0-2-1 in its last three, so needs a win and fast. Wheaton has blown hot and cold this year. Should be a good one.

Amherst @ MIT - Wednesday, 7pm: Bovell is a defensive coach and will no doubt have men behind the ball for this under-the-lights encounter. I think Amherst will roll, but MIT could well make it interesting.

Ommadawn

Quote from: NEsoccerfan20 on September 26, 2016, 11:09:12 AM

Saturday's battle of the unbeaten between Clark and Springfield may also hold some interest.  Neither team has played an overly difficult schedule so far and this game might help establish which team is "for real."

Off Pitch

Two more of potential interest:

Tuesday:  Endicott @ WPI
Wednesday:  Bowdoin @ Babson

Mr.Right

That is a big game for Endicott. WPI has a small chance at possible being regionally ranked in November. If Endicott wants to keep its small Pool C chances alive they must win tonight.

Mr.Right

Wheaton at Brandeis tonight is another interesting one. Brandeis might come out of the gates storming the field and Wheaton will have to be ready to bend and not break. Wheaton's Frosh from Brockton is a very talented player and I also like #9 Sesay. They can score against good teams the problem is they are not good defensively. It will be interesting to see what kind of formation Cushing plays tonight at Brandeis. Historically, they are usually in a 4-3-3 but maybe a 4-2-3-1 tonight to help their GK

Off Pitch

Rank      School                                Prev.   W-L-T
1   Amherst College                                    1   5-0-1
2   University Of Massachusetts-Boston      2   8-0-0
3   Middlebury College                                  3   4-0-1
4   Williams College                                      4   6-1-1
5   Clark University                                       6   8-0-0
6   Gordon College                                      NR   6-1-1
7   Springfield College                                  9   7-0-1
8   Worcester Polytechnic Institute             10   6-1-1
9   Endicott College                                      5   5-2-1
10   Tufts University                                      NR   3-2-1

Off Pitch

Comments on the 9/27 regional rankings:

I have not seen Mass-Boston play this year, but their start is reminiscent of last season when they started 10-0 until losing to Babson at home.  They were not ready for prime time and finished 16-5.   They should be 10-0 again this year when they travel to Babson on 10/4.

It would have been difficult to intentionally schedule a weaker schedule than Springfield's to date.  We will get a better idea about both Springfield and Clark when they play in Worcester Saturday.

Best of the unranked New England teams:  Brandeis, Conn, Wentworth, Bowdoin.   Would anyone pick Springfield to beat any of these teams on a neutral field?

blooter442

Quote from: Off Pitch on September 27, 2016, 02:58:34 PM
Comments on the 9/27 regional rankings:

I have not seen Mass-Boston play this year, but their start is reminiscent of last season when they started 10-0 until losing to Babson at home.  They were not ready for prime time and finished 16-5.   They should be 10-0 again this year when they travel to Babson on 10/4.

It would have been difficult to intentionally schedule a weaker schedule than Springfield's to date.  We will get a better idea about both Springfield and Clark when they play in Worcester Saturday.

Best of the unranked New England teams:  Brandeis, Conn, Wentworth, Bowdoin.   Would anyone pick Springfield to beat any of these teams on a neutral field?

To be fair, Babson was actually at home. But your point remains valid.

There are still four teams in the New England region with no losses. I would expect that to change within the next 10 days to 2 weeks.

blooter442

Already three games without a win - its worst stretch since 2010 - Brandeis went 1-0 down to Wheaton in the first half off a PK. However, the Judges hit the Lyons back with 2 goals in 42 seconds before tacking on a third. 3-1 at half. Obviously Wheaton isn't top 25 opposition, but they are capable of the big results.

Biggest thing besides scoring that Brandeis needs is defensive leadership, something which has been lacking since Lanahan graduated, as evidenced by the 0-2-1 stretch recently. That said, they are looking more solid at the back, so it's possible that they're starting to become more cohesive.

blooter442

Quote from: blooter442 on September 27, 2016, 07:53:59 PM
That said, they are looking more solid at the back, so it's possible that they're starting to become more cohesive.

Spoke too soon - it's a 4-4 game on 70 minutes after 'Deis had a 4-1 lead in the 60th. Oy vey.

Update: Wheaton wins it in OT. That is absolute capitulation from Brandeis, who - barring a miracle - is out of contention for an NCAA bid before the end of September. Coven will be furious.