New York Region 2018

Started by John McGraw, March 29, 2018, 01:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

is Ithaca baseball staying in the E8 long-term or are they moving to the LL this summer? I've heard conflicting reports.

jdex

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 15, 2018, 07:54:31 PM
is Ithaca baseball staying in the E8 long-term or are they moving to the LL this summer? I've heard conflicting reports.

As we understand it, Ithaca remains in the Empire 8 in baseball as affiliate member

John McGraw

From what I understand, Ithaca joins the Liberty League for baseball next spring.

John McGraw

Welp... that was an interesting weekend. Cortland, Stevens and Union in their respective catbird seats after some slightly surprising league results and NYU took one of four from #11 Case in Cleveland. I think Stevens certainly played itself into the rankings. Not sure what to make of Oswego and Fisher results but the good news is that there's still lots of baseball left.

jdex

Quote from: John McGraw on April 16, 2018, 01:12:52 PM

From what I understand, Ithaca joins the Liberty League for baseball next spring.

From a July '17 IC release ......but may have changed re baseball after this season??

The Liberty League currently sponsors 27 championship sports. Fall sports include cross country (m/w), field hockey, football, soccer (m/w), volleyball (w). Winter sports include basketball (m/w), squash (m/w), swimming & diving (m/w) and indoor track & field (m/w). Spring sports include baseball, golf (m/w), lacrosse (m/w), rowing (m/w), softball, tennis (m/w) and outdoor track and field (m/w). Ithaca will compete in all sports with the exception of men's golf and squash as the institution does not sponsor those sports. Also, the IC baseball program will remain in the Empire 8 as an affiliate member

Jim Dixon

In regards to Ithaca finding a permanent home, I always thought the 7 team limit for auto bids was, well odd.  Six sounds like a better number but I would also suggest another alternative, if a conference has been established for a long enough period, they can get a waiver.  Such as the CUNYAC having been around for 40 years getting access instead of adding schools like Finlandia to hit the 7 team limit.

John McGraw

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 17, 2018, 10:42:10 AM
In regards to Ithaca finding a permanent home, I always thought the 7 team limit for auto bids was, well odd.  Six sounds like a better number but I would also suggest another alternative, if a conference has been established for a long enough period, they can get a waiver.  Such as the CUNYAC having been around for 40 years getting access instead of adding schools like Finlandia to hit the 7 team limit.

SUNY Canton recently announced a move to the North Athletic Conference for next year. This would drop the E8 to five baseball teams with Ithaca going to the Liberty - St John Fisher, Utica, Elmira, Stevens and Houghton.

airball55

Fisher has to run table now and beat Stevens in make up to host.  Looks like New Jersey is the destination for this tournament.  Stevens, can pitch.  Cortland and Union look solid.  Updated Region rankings...for me

1. Cortland
2. NYU
3. Stevens, Fisher (still think Fisher is a bit better and strength of schedule)
4. Oswego
5. Union
6. Ithaca or Brockport...maybe RIT.  Still too many games left to play.

airball55

when does the first regional ranking come out?  Here is my updated guess after research:
1. Cortland...not by as much though as most...awful ny non conference SOS 28-7
2. St. John Fisher (SOS off the chart) 21-9
3. Oswego 21-8
4. Stevens  20-14
5. Union (could move up but the league isn't as good as the other 2) 21-6
6. NYU 25-8

Strength of schedule is the basis for these rankings.  Fisher ahead of Oswego per the head to head.  Stevens has 14 losses and a couple of bad ones so they drop a little.  Union could go up I guess, did beat Stevens Point in Florida but to be honest I don't know enough about them.

John McGraw

This past weekend may have been, if I'm not mistaken, the first nice weather weekend all season. It only took until the third weekend of April. Hopefully the dry weather trend will continue into this weekend with a huge series between Cortland and Oswego on tap for the Port City.

1. Cortland - The 20-game winning streak came to an end but the Red Dragons entered the weekend 2nd in Division III in team ERA and 6th in fielding percentage. The loss to New Paltz on Sunday marked the first time since March 14 that Cortland has conceded five or more runs. Should Cortland drop the series to Oswego this weekend, Cortland's SOS (190) could come into play in terms of being sent out of region.

2. St John Fisher - Overall body of work strong for the Cardinals despite dropping two to Stevens. If it were just head-to-head, I'd put the Ducks over the Cardinals but Fisher has an SOS of 33. Fisher is doing it with offense - 30 home runs as a team. Scott Eisenmenger has a 10 game hit streak and five home runs in those games.

3. Oswego - Very similar to St. John Fisher with a strong resume despite conceding two of three to Brockport. Oswego's pitching has been strong with the mound men carving out a 3:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. No pitcher has walked more than 10 men overall. Key game for the Lakers on Tuesday against Ithaca on Tuesday. Should be noted Oswego and Fisher will play a second game this year and that will be on May 1 at Fisher.

T4. Stevens - The Ducks lead the Empire 8 with an 11-3 record which contains a sweep at St John Fisher. However, Stevens is hurt by a 9-11 non-conference record. Stevens helped itself by beating a perennial Mid-Atlantic power in Misericordia but then split with SUNY Oneonta at home this past weekend. A rain-out makeup with St John Fisher in early May could determine who hosts the league tournament. The Ducks have a great 1-2 at the top of their rotation with Charlie Ruegger and Danny Poidomani.

T4. NYU - With no conference tournament to play in, NYU will close its regular season this coming weekend at home versus Emory. The Violets won their opener at Case a few weekends ago but fell in the overall series then bounced back with four wins in five outings total in games with John Jay & Brandeis. NYU's big three offensively of Coleman Hendershot, Jonathan Iaione and Coltrane Tait are absolutely mashing the baseball with Hendershot flirting with a .400 batting average, 60+ RBI season. Unfortunately NYU is hurt by its SOS (314). Don't think NYU will snag a Pool B bid but could possibly claim a Pool C bid if it can take care of business versus Emory.

6. Union - Since returning from Florida, the Dutchmen are 15-4. Union is currently a half game out of first in the Liberty. As a team, the Dutchmen are batting .360 with six swingers at .398 or higher. Jack Koch is hitting an astounding .494 albeit with just 79 at bats. Union has Vassar this weekend in a key series with the Brewers in third in the compact Liberty League. Union also closes with RPI in a home-and-home.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: airball55 on April 23, 2018, 03:15:42 PM
when does the first regional ranking come out?  Here is my updated guess after research:
1. Cortland...not by as much though as most...awful ny non conference SOS 28-7
2. St. John Fisher (SOS off the chart) 21-9
3. Oswego 21-8
4. Stevens  20-14
5. Union (could move up but the league isn't as good as the other 2) 21-6
6. NYU 25-8

Strength of schedule is the basis for these rankings.  Fisher ahead of Oswego per the head to head.  Stevens has 14 losses and a couple of bad ones so they drop a little.  Union could go up I guess, did beat Stevens Point in Florida but to be honest I don't know enough about them.
This Thursday.

John McGraw

I don't think we will see too much deviation from our guesses just based on past history. Maybe a downstate team from the Skyline slides in towards the bottom. Ithaca and Rochester are the closest among the upstate teams on the outside looking in and they'll play a home-and-home this week weather permitting. Unless someone can go on a run in these last few weeks, I'm thinking we'll see a combination of NJAC frontrunners TCNJ/Rowan/Ramapo headed for Auburn as a 1 or 2 seed. Toss Keystone in that group as well plus another team or two from New England or the Mideast.

On a side note, with the CSAC dropping to five teams, if I'm the Empire 8, I'd be looking at Keystone as a possible affiliate member.

airball55

My updated NY ratings (after the release of info. on SOS)
1. Cortland (barely), if they lose the conference tourny...will they get in? SOS is startling
2. SJFC (opposite of Cortland)
3. Union (Good record, climbing a bit for me)
4. Oswego
5. Stevens
6. Ithaca or NYU

Dr. McGraw is correct with the most likely scenario of someone shipping in.  Keystone is interesting.  They play at Fisher at end of season, cool game before conference tournaments.

John McGraw

First rankings are out...

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/regional-rankings

NEW YORK   
1   St. John Fisher   
2   SUNY Cortland   
3   Oswego State   
4   Stevens Institute of Technology   
5   Union (New York)   
6   Ithaca   
7   New York University   
8   St. Joseph's (Long Island)   
9   Farmingdale State   

Based on SOS, no surprise that St. John Fisher is ahead of Cortland. Red Dragons didn't help themselves either by dropping back-to-back games to New Paltz and Hamilton. Cortland SOS will get a bump this weekend with games against Oswego.

I'm a little surprised Ithaca is over NYU however again, SOS and OWP & OOWP likely playing a big role.

airball55

Well said John.  Big weekend in the YAC.