FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

BashDad

Some of us have been passing Koonce's highlight reel around and if I were an HSC fan, I'd be pushing that button over and over. Wabash returns a lot from one of the best rushing defenses in the country, but they lost a couple AllTimers in the interior. With HSC returning their entire O line, the Tigers could create a handful of big-play opportunities if Koonce is special. He might also fumble a million times.

Anyway: there. I just did some of your work for you.

BashDad

Here's Edgar Moore, the likely Nance replacement. He's a junior now, so take this high school reel for what it's worth:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/182135/highlights/43346373/v2

He looks good!

02 Warhawk

Quote from: BashDad on September 01, 2015, 11:48:24 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 01, 2015, 11:14:59 AM
The things you know don't matter. It's the things you don't know that do. You know who left the team. You don't know who is replacing them. You know the offense and defense they ran not the one HSC will run.

So tell us. Otherwise, we're locked into a conversation about -- ugh -- conference schedules and the weather. I think we've accelerated to I know what you are, but what am I because there's just not much to talk about. The question marks are obvious (Nance, Walker replacements; your defense), the relative expectations of both teams are very different (read: imbalanced) from last year, and so because of that--because I am a fan of Wabash and I expect and am excited about Program Best things from "my" team this year-- I'm just kind of like whatever, dude to the non-game I saw you flinch! reaction experiments.

What's up with HSC, HSCTiger fan? How do they win on Saturday. Go.

I'm anxious to hear this myself. Maybe he can use this as a template to convince himself the underdog can win.  ;D

I fail to see how a team can make up for the 13 points they lost by last year with only 4 returning on defense, along with losing their two best players on offense from a year ago. All the while Wabash returns 8 on both sides of the ball. It doesn't look good for Tigers this week. I suppose stranger things have happened, but Wabash should roll in this one. I think even Keith considered HSC a possible "thud" this year, but we'll see.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: BashDad on September 01, 2015, 11:48:24 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 01, 2015, 11:14:59 AM
The things you know don't matter. It's the things you don't know that do. You know who left the team. You don't know who is replacing them. You know the offense and defense they ran not the one HSC will run.

So tell us. Otherwise, we're locked into a conversation about -- ugh -- conference schedules and the weather. I think we've accelerated to I know what you are, but what am I because there's just not much to talk about. The question marks are obvious (Nance, Walker replacements; your defense), the relative expectations of both teams are very different (read: imbalanced) from last year, and so because of that--because I am a fan of Wabash and I expect and am excited about Program Best things from "my" team this year-- I'm just kind of like whatever, dude to the non-game I saw you flinch! reaction experiments.

What's up with HSC, HSCTiger fan? How do they win on Saturday. Go.

Legit question. First we have to look back to last year. HSC started 4 brand new never started a game, never played more than 5 snaps in a game, never played a second with the game on the line offensive linemen. Those guys are back. They had a spring in no pads and a fall camp to be ready for the Wabash d last year. They should have improved much more than the defensive front of Wabash. That doesn't mean your guys aren't great. That means if our guys were 5s maybe this year they're 8 or 9s. If your guys were 8s maybe this year they are 10s. Whatever - a much better line is a big deal. Losing Nance hurts but the average debut QB under coach Favret has thrown for 2700+ yards and 23 TDs. This year's QB may not be Nance but he's going to be one of the best you'll see all year. A better OL means we can run more thus taking pressure off QB. Walker had 1 catch as a freshman and 76 as a sophomore. If HSC can recruit anything it's QBs and WRs. Someone this fall I predict will catch more passes and have more yards than Walker did last year. A trio of excellent running backs that did not see much time behind the running of 2 senior RBs and the running of Nance. These guys are ready to roll.

Defensively, we are young. But let's be honest Wabash does nothing overly complicated on offense. If your young on d you'd rather face a ground and pound team like a Wabash than a multi set offense like HSC. 3 team captains are on the defense. Guys that the team voted to be leaders.  They'll provide calm to a young d.

Finally, no one at HSC thinks Wabash can't be beat. Last year's game included a dropped TD that resulted in a punt and a pick six. Take away those two plays and its 28 to 27 HSC. I know without being reminded that didn't happen. My point is that if we get 2 breaks this year that Wabash doesn't then I like our chances. 

Wabash is the favorite. Last year the pressure was on our team. Had Wabash lost they would have lost to Nance and Walker. People could have understood that happening. This year however, a number 10 Wabash travels to play an HSC team that no one outside the HSC program expects much from. Last year the pressure was ours this year it's yours. The last 2 seasons in high pressure games that Wabash had to win they lost (think Witt)

It's not 1-100 chance for HSC. I think more like a 1-5 shot. A long shot nonetheless but when we win it won't be a historic upset.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

The problem with the first game of the year, for fans, is the long wind up. This game just needs to be played. I very much doubt too many people outside those with ties to Farmville would put money on the Tigers. That being said, it is the first game and strange things tend to happen in week one. Would I be absolutely shocked if HSC won a home game against a team that traveled a good distance to play in a charged atmosphere? No. But I'd be surprised for sure...

BashDad

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 01, 2015, 12:27:54 PM
Last year the pressure was ours this year it's yours. The last 2 seasons in high pressure games that Wabash had to win they lost (think Witt)

Just stop with this. Not true. Wabash beat you in a high pressure game and then Depauw and then Franklin.

Why you keep reaching for the program measuring stick is beyond me. You'll lose.

badgerwarhawk

All this talk is worth a   but I have to admit I way more interested in the outcome of this game than I was two weeks ago.  I hope its streamed. 

Good luck to both.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

HSCTiger fan

Why don't someone explain the measuring stick then?  Is it beating Depauw? Check. Winning the NCAC. Nope. Is it going deep into playoffs? Nope Is it being the first team left out of the playoffs? Check. I'm sure you guys have lofty goals. You just continually fail to reach them.

I did the t-shirt thing over the weekend. Anyway you got it wrong I said "when" not "if".

Maybe you did not see my t-shirt - http://bit.ly/1KmL1tS
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

BashDad

You don't know what you're talking about.

Since 2001, when Wabash actively began caring about belonging in the national conversation, they've won more championships than you, produced more all americans than you, won more playoff games than you, been ranked higher, beaten better opponents, and climbed the national ladder higher.

BashDad

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 01, 2015, 12:51:57 PM
I did the t-shirt thing over the weekend. Anyway you got it wrong I said "when" not "if".

We're getting close to me calling you names.

BashDad

HSC has been the same mediocre late nineties, Hal-Mumme circus offense fossil since before JD Ricca. I've never seen a team rise on the hot gas of 30 minutes of football quite like HSC post-Linfield two seasons ago. Your team is a mirage. Good luck.

WooClone15

Generally I cheer for NCAC schools out of conference anyways, but please Wabash, for the love of God, pound HSC into the ground

jknezek

Quote from: BashDad on September 01, 2015, 01:01:18 PM
HSC has been the same mediocre late nineties, Hal-Mumme circus offense fossil since before JD Ricca. I've never seen a team rise on the hot gas of 30 minutes of football quite like HSC post-Linfield two seasons ago. Your team is a mirage. Good luck.

The bolded part is a little overstated. They have won 5 of the last 8 ODAC championships. That's hardly a mirage. I do agree their short time in the national spotlight at the beginning of last year was primarily based on 20 minutes of Linfield playing like the Keystone Cops, but generally speaking, HSC has been a pretty good football team for more than a decade. Not a national power, but certainly not a mirage. That isn't too far below where Wabash has been, but yes, below.

I also think you'll find most HSC fans to be a little more realistic than HSCTiger fan. He's a bit rabid in his support, as people on message boards tend to be. If you get to Farmville, you'll have a really good time with the HSC folks.