WBB: USA South Conference

Started by Mike Stanley, March 09, 2004, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Maryville named pre-season # 16 by Small College Hoops D III News (whatever that is) and Mackenzie Puckett of the Scots named as one of three "Top 24" national players from the South.

Eastern Mennonite is the only other southern team named (@ # 18) and their Jess Rheinheimer named as one of the other top 24 players from the South.

Danyel Bradley of Howard Payne is also named a top 24 player from the South, never mind whether Texas really is in the South.

scottiedoug

Maryville just beat Bethel 65-43 in a tournament in Illinois.  Bethel is ranked #22.  Maybe the Scots are pretty good, as predicted.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: scottiedoug on October 13, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
Maryville named pre-season # 16 by Small College Hoops D III News (whatever that is) and Mackenzie Puckett of the Scots named as one of three "Top 24" national players from the South.

Eastern Mennonite is the only other southern team named (@ # 18) and their Jess Rheinheimer named as one of the other top 24 players from the South.

Danyel Bradley of Howard Payne is also named a top 24 player from the South, never mind whether Texas really is in the South.
The Aggies say that Texas is South.   ;)

scottiedoug

Hi Ralph!

I was wondering if you were still paying attention....

Ralph Turner

Sorry about the slow reply.

I have had a very busy fall with family matters that are now resolving.

scottiedoug

Maryville has a newbie whose debut was a 29 point show.  Having lost two shooters to injury, it is great to have Madison Maples on the team.  Goes well with the normal stifling defense.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the third consecutive year, Hoopsville will air for 12 hours as the regular season enters the final four weeks. Dave McHugh will chat with coaches, administrators, student-athletes, and others involved in Division III basketball from around the country. Other guests will include those who have Division III roots or appreciate the division and the game along with the student-athletes who play the sport.

Hoopsville will air from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (and maybe later) on Thursday, February 4 live from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can see what guests are scheduled, get more information, and watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb4

You can also read the press release about the show: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/hoopsville-marathon-2016

Here is the guest list as we speak. All times are Eastern and subject to change. Additional guests to be added if and when necessary:

TimeGuestSchool
10:15amConnie TilleySt. Norbert (WBB) - WBCA Center Court
10:40amJamie PurdyPeidmont (WBB)
11:00amKeri CarolloUW-Whitewater (WBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
11:20amBrent PollariSaint Mary's (Minn.) (WBB)
11:40amKent MadsenNo. 21 Wheaton (Ill.) (WBB)
12:00pmRussell LoydRose-Hulman (MBB)
12:20pmKevin BroderickNazareth (MBB)
12:40pmJustin ScottArcadia (MBB)
1:00pmSam HargravesNo. 12 Alma (MBB)
1:20pmLenny ReichMount Union (SID)
1:40pmMaureen WebsterClarkson (WBB)
2:00pmBetsy WitmanYork (Pa.) (WBB)
2:20pmSara LeeDenison (WBB)
2:40pmKlay KneuppelWisconsin Lutheran (MBB)
3:00pmBrian Van HaaftenBuena Vista (MBB) - Nat'l Committee Chair
3:30pmSydney MossNo. 1 Thomas More (WBB)
3:45pmAaron RousellBucknell (WBB) - former Chicago coach
4:00pmTim ShanahanStaten Island (WBB)
4:20Pat CunninghamTrinity (Texas) (MBB) - NABC Coach's Corner
4:50pmBubba SmithSewanee (MBB)
5:15pmBen StrongFormer Guilford All-American
5:30pmKevin ConnorsESPN SportsCenter Anchor - Ithaca alumnus
6:00pmKristen DowlingClaremont-Mudd-Scripps (WBB)
6:20pmAllison ColemanSage (WBB)
6:40pmLandry KosmalskiSwarthmore (MBB)
7:00pmDave NilandNo. 23 Penn State-Behrend (MBB)
7:20pmAaron GallettaLasell (MBB)
7:40pmJohn BaronGwynedd-Mercy (MBB)
8:00pm
8:20pm
8:40pmMelissa HodgdonWheaton (Mass.) (WBB)
9:00pmG.P. GromackiNo. 2 Amherst (WBB)
9:20pmJames Wagner
9:40pmHAPPY HOURFree-for-all of calls, tweets, and fun!

We hope to get at least the full show on a podcast, or several podcast, during the on Friday. You can find it here:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project has begun yet again. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered. If you can not donate, please don't worry about - we understand. At least share the campaign with anyone you think might be interested: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509

Also, if you know any advertisers interested in promoting their company or products on the show, send them our way: hoopsville@d3hoops.com

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

bballlover

Sorry to be such a stickler but, Coach Purdy is at Piedmont not Peidmont.

scottiedoug

She should be in a good mood, having beaten Maryville last night.  She does have to visit Methodist, Greensboro, and Maryville shortly, however, and maybe that clean record in the conference will not stay that way.  Or so I hope!

bballlover

IMO if she doesn't win COY it will be a shame. There are no stars on this team. Yet she finds a way for her team to win. It will be difficult to finish the regular season unscathed. IMO with no disrespect to Methodist, Greensboro & Maryville are the two toughest places for women to play in the USA South. Good Luck to the ladies from Demorest.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: bballlover on February 04, 2016, 08:45:24 AM
Sorry to be such a stickler but, Coach Purdy is at Piedmont not Peidmont.

Yep... a typo I didn't discover  until way too late to go back and fix on many posts on these boards. Stuff happens and this was one of them. Sorry.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

scottiedoug

I think Piedmont is the toughest place for women to play, at least it has been for Maryville over the years.  I am hoping Greensboro derails the Lions and both Maryville and Piedmont win out and settle it at Maryville on the 17th.  Lots of ifs there.

If Maryville and Piedmont wind up with the same record, including having beaten each other, who hosts?

Pat Coleman

Alright, folks -- the NCAA's first women's basketball regional rankings are posted. Check out the full list from D3hoops.com:
http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/02/10/first-2016-regional-rankings-released-today/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

scottiedoug

Thanks, Pat. 

My understanding of the answer to my own question about who will host the USASouth women's tournament:  If Maryville and Piedmont wind up with the same record, a coin flip determines.  If Maryville and Piedmont wind up with the same number of losses, Maryville would have to play a game that was cancelled because of snow (Mary Baldwin), because otherwise Piedmont's winning percentage would be slightly higher. 

So I am for Greensboro and/or Methodist beating Piedmont so when Maryville does the same, Maryville would host.  Of course Maryville needs to win every other game, too.

scottiedoug

Greensboro beat Piedmont so Maryville and Piedmont each has lost one in the conference and play this Wednesday.  Most likely this will determine who hosts the tournament.  Should be fun.