MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

That sounds like it would explain the issue, thanks warriorcat. 

warriorcat

Quote from: warriorcat on May 20, 2019, 12:03:13 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on May 20, 2019, 10:51:32 AM
To me the strangest ranking (and one I agree with) is MASCAC.  That league was definitely right behind NEWMAC and LEC once upon a time.  Salem State was a regional power, and still is solid although not at the same level.  In the past there were usually a few other solid programs in that league, but no longer.  Given how expensive so many of the regional private schools are, and how many of them seem to be struggling (including a bunch of regional private schools that have closed in recent years), and given the volume of high school hoops talent in Massachusetts, it's strange to me that a few more of the very well-priced MASCAC schools can't attract more talent.  Maybe it's a coaching issue, or institutional resources, I'm not sure, but it is weird that the CCC and GNAC have certainly blown by MASCAC in recent seasons. 

I do think MASCAC will be a bit more competitive next season, and that last year may have been a nadir for the league, talent-wise.  Salem State, at least, should be a team to watch next year.  They bring back 4/5 starters from a tourney team including two rising senior stars, both of whom can really play, and usually manage to bring in a notable JC transfer or two.  If they can add a third star they would be interesting at least.  Bridgewater State should be much improved next season, and Westfield should be decent.  But MASCAC has a long way to go as a league to dig out from the bottom-tier of New England.

My understanding is that many of the MASCAC head coaches are not full time.  It is difficult to keep continuity in a program when the coaching staff turns over and there is not a staff being paid to recruit.

I did a quick look at the MASCAC athletic department directories and found that three head coaches do not work full-time at their schools: Fitchburg, Framingham, and Worcester.

At the other four schools the coach(es) are listed as having other responsibilities
Bridgewater- Head Coach is the Assistant equipment Mgr, Associate Head is the assistant events mgr. and facility supervisor
MCLA - Head coach is Assistant SID
Salem - Head coach is the Academic and recruiting coordinator
Westfield - Head coach is assistant AD

It would appear that the Salem state coach is in the best position to recruit. 

NEhoops

Teams that have part-time head coaches are definitely at a disadvantage, and it's even more impressive when they are able sustain success. Coach Harvey (not sure of his employment type) has been at Salem State for 10+ seasons and has done a great job keeping them competitive.

At the same time, it is very common for full-time coaches to have a "second assignment" within their athletic department. I still get a kick out of the time Coach Maker was coaching the JV women's soccer team at Williams. 

Part-time or full-time, I think what can separate a head coach/program is their budget, specific to assistant coaching salaries and recruiting. The range of theses budgets, even within the same conference, can be very drastic. It all comes down to how much the athletic department is able (or wants to) to allot to a particular program.   

toad22

At Williams, coach App teaches several gym classes, and has a bunch of other duties in the athletic department.

nescac1

David Elien, 6'11 center from North Carolina, announces his decision to attend Williams: https://twitter.com/C_Matusevich/status/1130914497151946752

Great pick-up for the Ephs, as he turned down D1 offers from Winthrop and Army.   Elien looks like he has the potential to be an Andrew Locke-type player, a guy who could be a defensive difference-maker early in his career, with a lot of upside potential on offense in future years.  Elien still appears to be quite raw in terms of his skills, but he made massive strides over the past two years in high school, so his trajectory is promising.  The Ephs recruited a nice one-two punch at center, with very different skill sets, who will have the luxury of spending this season developing behind Matt Karpowicz. 

Williams now has three recruits from North Carolina in the past two years, PG Ryan Moon, incoming 6'7 frosh forward Brandon Arnold (ranked 107 in the state) and Elien (ranked 58 in the state, which appears to be the highest ranking of any D3 recruit in NC). 

More on Elien, including highlights, here:

http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/unsigned-senior-spotlight-611-david-elien/ 

https://proconian.com/2018/12/11/david-elien-a-story-of-hard-work-and-determination/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kd0nSsUKwc

toad22

Elien could be a difference maker for Williams. He is big (6'10"-6'11"), very long, and jumps out of the gym. He is still learning the finer points of the game, or he would be playing in the ACC. He has a very high downside, and a huge upside. The good news is that Elien will have time to develop. He, along with Nate Karren, the 6'8", 3 point shooting, other center recruited this year, will play behind Matt Karpowitz in their first year. Overall, the Williams recruiting class seems very, very strong. I look forward to watching them play.

middhoops

Middlebury picked a (very rare) transfer.
Former 2nd team All-SUNYAC player from Geneseo, Tommy Eastman sat out last year after two seasons at the NY school.
In his soph year he put up good numbers; 14.5 pts. and 9.7 boards.  He projects as a wing player who could contribute immediately.

Can any Midd fans remember an in-bound basketball transfer in the Jeff Brown era?

nescac1

Updated list of known NESCAC recruits (surely a few are missing, still, especially from outside New England, but by now this should be most of 'em). 

Amherst: F Dan Schlakman, C Isa Maguire and F Beluo Oranye

Bates: PG Stephon Baxter, F Jacob Iwowo and C Cameron Riley

Bowdoin: C Jack Garza, G Dylan Lien, F Jack Shea, G Ben McPherron and G Manav Randhawa

Colby: G Kevin O'Boy, F Cooper Wirkala, G Will King, F Alex McGovern and G Kyle Butler

Conn College: ????

Hamilton: C Patrick Mogan, G Nkoski Cooper, G Conner Rood and F Liam Regan

Middlebury: G/F Jackson Pitcher, F Charley Moore, G/F Tommy Eastman (transfer with two years of eligibility) and G Noah Osher

Trinity: G Joe Hoch, G Steven Lora, G/F C. J. Redd and G/F D.J. Smith

Tufts: G/F Casey McClaren, G/F Dylan Thoerner and C Jayson Taylor

Wesleyan: G Gabe Millstein and F Preston Maccoux

Williams: G Cole Prowitt-Smith, C Nate Karren, C David Elien, G/F Alex Stoddard and F Brandon Arnold

While always a bit of a crapshoot to project, a few guys to keep a close eye on early next year as potential early-impact frosh include Schlakman and Maguire at Amherst, Stephon Baxter at Bates, Ben McPherron at Bowdoin, Nkosi Cooper at Hamilton, C.J. Redd at Trinity, Casey McClaren at Tufts, Preston Maccoux at Wesleyan and Prowitt-Smith, Karren and Elien at Williams. 

The Ephs, who lost the most to graduation, compensated in part by bringing in a very talented, athletic class with tremendous size (6'11, 6'8, 6'7, 6'6, 6'3) at least two of whom, maybe more, are likely to crack next year's rotation.  Hamilton, Amherst, and Tufts continue to bring in really strong groups of recruits as well.  Amherst filled its only real need, at center (and don't forget they had a highly-regarded frosh center last year who now will get his opportunity, as well).  Hamilton, after consecutive strong recruiting classes, may be able to reload around Gilmour rather than rebuild, notwithstanding huge losses to graduation.  Tufts was very young and very inconsistent last season, but did display a lot of offensive firepower at times, and the Jumbos now feature a stacked, veteran roster and goes two-deep at every position.  I'd be surprised if they don't make a big leap forward. 

Trinity brought in what seem to be Trinity-type guys - tough, physical perimeter athletes.  They are not going to be fun to play against next year.  I'm guessing Wesleyan has another guy or two; in all events I think development by the rising sophomores will be key to Wesleyan's outlook for next year.  With everyone back from last year's rotation, I'm guessing the new Colby guys will have to wait their turn.  Eastman looks like a big pickup for Midd, and the other guys will likely have to ride the bench for a year or two especially given the veteran addition.  The Bates group looks solid, but probably not game-changing.  Bowdoin has a big group of frosh, and surely a few of them will be in the rotation early on after some big losses to graduation.  Pour one out for Conn ... next year is gonna be rough for the new regime. 

To me, Amherst and Middlebury look like the clear favorites heading into next season.  Conn is clearly in the cellar.  The outlook looks less-than-stellar for Bates and Bowdoin, but both do have some solid talent returning.  It's just that so does everyone else.  Tufts, Trinity, Colby, Hamilton, Williams and Wesleyan seem like a huge morass to me.  Of that group, I think Tufts probably returns the most talent.

amh63

Nescac1......thanks for keeping us informed of the new faces expected this Fall.  Key to development of new players and returning players is the players' off season work.  Big Joe made his "biggest" growth/contribution to Amherst this past season..his senior year.  It could have been due to his participation in the Macabre Games over the Summer. 
I did notice that ...after checking the Ephs roster...the absence of guards available with on court experience for the upcoming season.  Casey was a great contributor to the team and he will be hard to replace both as a shooter and a distributor.  It will be interesting to see how Williams' offense adjusts.
Amherst has many backcourt contributors returning.  Yes, the front court changes will be major, IMO.  However, the defensive side of team will only improve and I look forward to seeing who will contribute to the defense.  Thanks again....good stuff

jayhawk

Good recruits coming into NESCAC next year
Amherst has a range of players who play different positions
Big Man Isa Maguire 6'`10'' ( who was hurt for part of last year that may have impacted his recruitign) and 6'7" Dan Schlackman
One of the best parts I think of NESCAC basketball is the development of players during their career in college
One Amherst recruit, Bo Oranye has only played basketball for five years who displays excellent athleticism including jumping ability
Since people like posting  "highligts" (the players never miss) here is a link to

Bo's senior year highlights, looks like his defense might continue Amherst recent defensive prowess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23sSNIS__PY

PolarBear16

Some high praise from the NBA's most informed writer. Makes it seem like Hardy is destined for a future NBA head coaching job which would be incredible. How has NESCAC1 not posted about this already? Is he slipping??

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1136813672796499969

"Expect Will Hardy, one of the league's impressive young coaches, to take on a more prominent role on the Spurs coaching staff with Udoka's departure."

nescac1

Ha-ha!  Thanks for sharing the Woj bomb, PolarBear16.  NESCAC is really crushing it, considering the size and profile of the league, in the NBA -- Hardy continues methodically moving up the chain of the best organization in basketball, Amherst grad Connor Johnson is the Sixers' G-League coach, Williams grad Rafael Stone was recently promoted by the Rockets to Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations and General Counsel, and of course, Midd grad Koby Altman seems to be doing a a solid job after inheriting a pretty disastrous situation as Cavs' GM. 

NEhoops

The TBT is right around the corner, see the link for bracket and schedule info - https://www.thetournament.com/

I have also included a listing of players that are from New England and/or played basketball at a D3 program in the Northeast.

Overseas Elite – In total, they have won four TBT titles, $7 million, and have a perfect record of 25-0. They are returning this year to defend their crown and go for five straight TBT titles.
JOHN DIBARTOLOMEO (Rochester – Westport, Connecticut)

We Are D3
MALCOLM DELPECHE (Bates)
LUCAS HAUSMAN (Bowdoin)
BRADLEY JOMARD (MIT)
JOHNNY MCCARTHY (Amherst)

Tampa 20/20
DAQUAN BROOKS (WCSU)

nescac1

Talk about an early decision, Garrett Kirk becomes the first NESCAC committed recruit in the class of 2020 (I believe).  He is headed to Trinity, where he will join a seemingly endless cast of high-motor, physical guards and wings:

https://newenglandrecruitingreport.com/in-the-news/nmhs-kirk-makes-early-decision

Coach Cosgrove definitely has a type of player he likes! 

amh63

As I scan the Nescac websites, picked up a recent hire by Williams.  A former coach at Bates with basketball experience.  Will be working as an Assoc. AD that interfaces with Admission Office, etc.  Hire, found on Williams' website.