HITTING FOR THE CYCLE

Started by Gramps, April 10, 2009, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

This topic will help flesh out the history of D-III baseball just like the "perfect game" topic has brought out a about half of the perfect games pitched in D-III history. 

In summary (15 instances listed here):

June 4, 1983, Mike DeLeone, NC Wesleyan, vs Otterbein

May 12, 1994, Chris Matejcik, Baldwin Wallace, vs. Mount Union

May 23, 1996, Tom Sanchez, Upper Iowa, vs Marietta

April 12, 2001,  Mike Van Schepen, Muskingum, vs. Wilmington
March 12, 2001, Steve Conter Baldwin Wallace, vs. Thomas More

2004, Jason Armstrong, Trinity (Texas), vs Rhodes (same game as Findlay)
2004, Andrew Findlay, Trinity (Texas), vs. Rhodes (same game as Armstrong)

April 14, 2005, Mike Farrell for Baldwin Wallace, vs. Hiram

2006, Tyler Dean, cf, Chapman, vs Pomona Pitzer
2006, Tyler Dean, cf, Chapman, vs Pomona Pitzer (back-to-back cycles)

March 17, 2008,  Joe Towns, 3B, Texas-Tyler, vs East Texas Baptist
May 5, 2008, Wesley third baseman Grant Morlock, 3b, vs. Polytechnic

February 11, 2009, Nick Pinneri, cf, Cal Lutheran, vs. La Sierra
February 21, 2009, Nick Pappas, Trinity (TX) vs Sul Ross
Weds, Apr 8, 2009,  Jason Lash, ss, Heidelberg, vs Capital.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 13, 2009, 12:27:54 PM
This topic will help flesh out the history of D-III baseball just like the "perfect game" topic has brought out a about half of the perfect games pitched in D-III history. 

In summary (15 instances listed here):

April 14, 2005, Mike Farrell for Baldwin Wallace, vs. Hiram

March 17, 2008,  Joe Towns, 3B, Texas-Tyler, vs East Texas Baptist
May 5, 2008, Wesley third baseman Grant Morlock, 3b, vs. Polytechnic

February 21, 2009, Nick Pappas, Trinity (TX) vs Sul Ross
Weds, Apr 8, 2009,  Jason Lash, ss, Heidelberg, vs Capital.

Tyler Dean's might be the most impressive as he did it back to back games. I saw the first of the two while scouting Pomona-Pitzer as we played them later in the season.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OxyBob

Quote from: Dawgsdad on April 13, 2009, 09:08:02 AM
If it wasn't for the triple, this feat would be fairly commonplace. The triple is what makes it difficult and rare.

Orlando Hudson hit for the cycle for the Dodgers against the Giants yesterday. The last player for the Dodgers to hit for the cycle was Wes Parker in 1970 against the Mets. Hudson is the first LA Dodgers player to hit for the cycle in Dodger Stadium (opened 1962).

OxyBob

Just Bill

I had a high school teammate once hit for the cycle in two innings of play. He was the leadoff hitter and we batted around each inning.  He had a triple and single in the first and a home run and double in the second. We teased him about the double because it appeared he could have made third for a triple, but held up at second for the cycle.  We were ahead 15-0 at the time so no harm done, I guess.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

ILVBB

Credit where credit is due:

Daniel Ward of Hendrix College did it last season on March 14th against Trinity.

http://www.trinity.edu/departments/athletics/Baseball/statistics/2008/hc-tu1.htm

DenisonFan

In 2006, Denison's Todd Pitt hit for the cycle in a game in Florida against Suffolk University -- and hit Johnny Pesky, too.

http://tinyurl.com/d935rw

Box score:

http://apps.denison.edu/athletics/ba/ba06/denb318.html

P-P Fan

Quote from: OxyBob on April 14, 2009, 11:00:00 AM
If it wasn't for the triple, this feat would be fairly commonplace. The triple is what makes it difficult and rare.

Orlando Hudson hit for the cycle for the Dodgers against the Giants yesterday. The last player for the Dodgers to hit for the cycle was Wes Parker in 1970 against the Mets. Hudson is the first LA Dodgers player to hit for the cycle in Dodger Stadium (opened 1962).

OxyBob

OxyBob, Im surprised you didn't mention that Wes Parker was a SCIAC product! Parker played DIII ball at Claremont McKenna before becoming one of the better defensive first basemen of his generation for the Dodgers...

RSSmith

Ursinus 1B Ben Gresh has been named the Centennial Conference's Player of the Week. Despite playing in just one game last week, Gresh made his only start memorable as he hit for the cycle in Wednesday's win over Delaware Valley
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Jim Dixon

Update list of Cycles in D-III Baseball.

In summary (18 instances listed here):

April 14, 2005, Mike Farrell, Baldwin Wallace, vs. Hiram

March 18, 2006, Todd Pitt, cf, Denison, vs Suffolk

March 14, 2008, Daniel Ward, cf, Hendrix, vs Trinity (Texas)
March 17, 2008,  Joe Towns, 3b, Texas-Tyler, vs East Texas Baptist
May 5, 2008, Grant Morlock, 3b, Wesley, vs. Polytechnic

February 21, 2009, Nick Pappas, Trinity (Texas) vs Sul Ross
April 8, 2009,  Jason Lash, ss, Heidelberg, vs Capital.
April 8, 2009, Ben Gresh, 1b, Ursinus 1B, vs Delaware Valley

BigPoppa

Cycles appear to be much more frequent recently when compared to how often is has happened in the past. I wonder what is driving that trend.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

OxyBob

Quote from: P-P Fan on April 15, 2009, 01:17:00 AM
Quote from: OxyBob on April 14, 2009, 11:00:00 AM
OxyBob, Im surprised you didn't mention that Wes Parker was a SCIAC product! Parker played DIII ball at Claremont McKenna before becoming one of the better defensive first basemen of his generation for the Dodgers...

I did not know that Mr. Steady went to Claremont. Thanks for that tidbit.

OxyBob

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 15, 2009, 01:09:33 PM
Cycles appear to be much more frequent recently when compared to how often is has happened in the past. I wonder what is driving that trend.

Reporting.  I expect they are occuring at the same rate but if nobody knows about it, nobody knows about it.

Take the Lash and Gresh cycles.  They occurred on the same day but one SID includes it in a press release and other does not.  Guess who got their picture in the rotation of stories on D3baseball.com?

Gramps

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 15, 2009, 03:08:41 PM

Reporting.  I expect they are occuring at the same rate but if nobody knows about it, nobody knows about it.

Take the Lash and Gresh cycles.  They occurred on the same day but one SID includes it in a press release and other does not.  Guess who got their picture in the rotation of stories on D3baseball.com?
What's even more odd, is that one player gets conference "Hitter of the week" for his Cycle, and the other does not.  So I guess that it  is just a judgement call by the panel that votes on the awards.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 15, 2009, 03:08:41 PM

Maybe cycles come in cycles. :P
Fierce When Roused