FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

After watching UWL Friday night, I didn't get the feeling that they could compete with UWO at all, with or without Yaeggi. Perhaps the rain was a bigger problem for them.
With 40 rushes, they produced 51 yards. Taking away Peterson's 93 yard TD run, UWW still averaged near 5 yards per carry. These are numbers that do not bode well when playing UWO.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: WW on October 17, 2017, 10:16:39 AM
Yeah. Woulda been fun to see those two teams at their best.

UWO wins easy with or without Yaeggi

(basically what emma said)

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: emma17 on October 17, 2017, 11:04:30 AM
After watching UWL Friday night, I didn't get the feeling that they could compete with UWO at all, with or without Yaeggi. Perhaps the rain was a bigger problem for them.
With 40 rushes, they produced 51 yards. Taking away Peterson's 93 yard TD run, UWW still averaged near 5 yards per carry. These are numbers that do not bode well when playing UWO.

Obviously they don't but with Yaeggi they had a better chance to keep pace with the Titans offensively and keep themselves in the game.  Without him their offense isn't nearly as good. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Yaeggi is a stud QB for sure but I feel he lacks help on the offense to keep pace (if UWO plays decently). Holcomb is really good but if you watched Friday you saw very little help from the rest. Drew came in at QB and did a good job because he brought the scrambling element.
I see UWO at a whole different level this year. Just like in the Stagg and last week at UWP, UWO is comfortable with a 3 man rush or even 2 man rush. They can play coverage and contain.

If Hecker is out, UWO will look a bit different on O, maybe they will struggle- but I doubt it.

WarhawkDad

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 17, 2017, 08:05:14 AM
Quote from: emma17 on October 16, 2017, 10:39:11 AM

02 I don't interpret your "spoiled" comment as the fans having unrealistic expectations.
UWW fans are spoiled in that we are accustomed to seeing the team not beat itself. There were plenty of games where a team doesn't play its best, but imo that's the human nature part of sport that creates the "any given Saturday" potential. The best coaching staffs figure out how to consistently get the little things right so that the natural human gaffes that invariably happen are less likely to lose games.
4 times UWW had 12 men on the field. 17 penalties. 3-15 on third down.
Imo UWW was the superior team (maybe by far). UWL had a ton of dropped passes (yes it was raining yet Holcomb caught 11).  That game was way too close considering the talent difference.

I just meant that since 2005 this team had a 10 year run that's unprecedented in college football history (with the exception of one program). Now that UWW fans are not seeing that same high level of play on the field, I can see them getting a little antsy. Most fans aren't used to seeing this team struggle.
Very true.  I have watched most of the games streaming and the takeaways that I have are the following:

1 - Inconsistent play from the QB
2 - Substituting players in to run specific series of plays - telegraphing what might occur
3 - Beating ourselves with penalties and turnovers
4-  Lack of defensive takeaways.

We have been spoiled, but should not lower our expectations.

WHD
Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014

2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"

WW

I know it's not WIAC but could our friend in Buffalo catch a break? A couple whiskers from 6-1

emma17

The Buffalo story is really turning positive. Very happy for the staff w noticeable improvement in year 3. They're facing difficult QB decisions if #1 and #2 are both healthy.

fredfalcon

Considering WW's last second 28-25 win 3 years ago at RF and last year's 27-20 o.t. win at WW, what are your thoughts on this Saturday's game?
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

emma17

Quote from: fredfalcon on October 19, 2017, 09:32:43 AM
Considering WW's last second 28-25 win 3 years ago at RF and last year's 27-20 o.t. win at WW, what are your thoughts on this Saturday's game?

As UWW struggles to score points, I expect all of their games to be close (perhaps excl UWEC) with either team having a chance in the fourth quarter.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: emma17 on October 19, 2017, 10:49:39 AM

As UWW struggles to score points, I expect all of their games to be close (perhaps excl UWEC) with either team having a chance in the fourth quarter.

That's my take as well.  RF has been pretty decent defensively this year allowing 13 points a game overall and 17 in conference play.  Statistically, scoring wise, on both sides of the ball the two teams are in a dead heat particularly in conference play. 

Here's a preview I've found:
http://www.dailyunion.com/sports/uw_whitewater/article_82ee3c2a-5d7b-53ff-bf2a-53c4ef309a30.html
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on October 19, 2017, 01:08:18 PM
Quote from: emma17 on October 19, 2017, 10:49:39 AM

That's my take as well.  RF has been pretty decent defensively this year allowing 13 points a game overall and 17 in conference play.  Statistically, scoring wise, on both sides of the ball the two teams are in a dead heat particularly in conference play. 

Here's a preview I've found:
http://www.dailyunion.com/sports/uw_whitewater/article_82ee3c2a-5d7b-53ff-bf2a-53c4ef309a30.html

I wish you would have warned me to take blood pressure medicine, and Imodium, before reading.
It seems Game 7 may be when the "speed at receiver gives UWW the vertical threat" it's apparently been sorely lacking. 
QuoteIf they free him back up, the Warhawks hope it means completing passes to their vertical passing threats: Ware, Adam Korpela and Marcus Hudson.

Stat: In 2017, UWW averages 13 yards a catch, 56% completion rate and a 32% 3rd down conversion rate. In 2013 (national championship), UWW averaged only 11.1 yards per catch even with a guy named Kumerow, but 65% completion rate and a 45% 3rd down conversion rate.   

This one caused me to reach for the Imodium:
Quote"Two weeks in a row, we've been better with our ball security, but it isn't as fancy," offensive coordinator Craig Smith said. "If we can tie in the fancy with the ball security, that's what you call a pretty good offense."

Pat Coleman

Dang, man -- how many times are you going to edit that post?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 20, 2017, 12:43:12 AM
Dang, man -- how many times are you going to edit that post?

Dang, I thought I could correct in private. It's hard to type accurately when your I'm laughing and upchucking at the same time.
"If we can tie in the fancy w ball security". 😭🤢

It's hard to type accurately, period.

UWO Titan 78

That was a bit of an unexpected game at Lax this weekend. I watched online, and was impressed with Lax QB Drew David. I think the Oshkosh staff went into the game with a plan that the back-up QB was going to have to beat us, and he nearly did. The score was close, and each team put up over 500 yards of offense. I really think (and maybe hope) that the game was a bit of an anomaly for the defense. It appeared that the D was often in the right spot with a good call, only to have David make a pass rusher miss and extend the play and make a big play. The Titans did limit the run game, force the competition to throw 57 times, and force 3 interceptions. As for the Titan offense ... they had another really balanced day. I won't say they didn't miss Hecker, but kudos go to the OLINE when the back-up runs for 176 yards and a 9.6 average. Kasper threw for 317 yards and 4 touchdowns (Mentokowski had 163 receiving yards). However, I feel that a deep playoff run will fall squarely on the head and shoulder of this QB. His two interceptions were bad decisions and he missed open receivers on other occasions. I've seen Kasper be lights out, and he might be the second best QB in program history, but when this offense struggles it is because he struggles. I'm confident that him being there before will benefit him and the team, and we will hopefully make a long post-season run. Last year the defense carried us to Salem. If we are going to get there this year, it is going to be because of our offense.

emma17

Great post Titan 78.
I too was surprised UWL put up the numbers they did. I only saw them play at UWW in the rain last week, and I was very surprised by their lack of performance, even with Yaeggi in the game. That said, in the UWL Head Coach show, he said UWL had 11 drops vs UWW- 11 drops. If they catch 8 of those passes, it's a big difference in the game.

If Kasper is on his game in the first half, I wonder if UWL keeps it close. David Drew did a great job and was very accurate, I imagine UWO was a bit surprised.

Although nobody can replace what Hecker brings, I am impressed with the number of players UWO has to run the ball. It seems like an endless stream of good players.